1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Welcome to the next evolution of Rocketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 6, 2020.

1. today

today Contributing Member

I'm right there with you @Clutch, your "maxing out the credit card" analogy is spot on. Tilman started devaluing our franchise the day he took over.

We have the best GM in the league and you're telling him what to do and who to trade for?!?

It's just a matter of time before he runs Morey off, and when that happens, my fervor and belief that we can win a championship will plummet.

I am beyond frustrated with where the new ownership is taking us :(

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm scared. Hold me.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Small ball will hit a good patch, how sustainable that will be remains to be seen.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this mother****ing piece of **** owner and all his stupid defenders. this guy single handily took his slimy business practices and adulterated this entire organization. We're a cesspool at this point

darksoul35 and pippendagimp like this.
  5. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

100% agree with this well-written take.... But say no to Tristan Thompson. Way too much drama. I'm hoping the cavs stick to NOT buying him out

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

DeBeards and heypartner like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I am ecstatic!

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

So we gave up ANOTHER first round pick AND Capela and we got...a player (who we should never have waived) who would have been a great place...LAST YEAR

I'm done with this organization. I have no ties to Houston besides this board. Until the Rockets wanna value MY investment (both monetary and emotional) I dont want to deal with this **** anymore. I fell in love with basketball because of the T-mac/Yao years and really grew into the Rockets throughout Harden and the Olajuwon years that I was too young to remember but love now.

This? This **** reminds me of the Knicks. A team so dysfunctional that I grew up rooting for a random ****ing team from Texas (I've still never been lol). If I wanted that **** I could root for the Knicks...or the Wizards... or the Hawks....you know cities I have a connection with.

I love this board and I used to love the houston rockets. I still love basketball but this? This is just sad

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never doubt the heart of Westbrook.

He may be very very flawed but he is the man.

He is Kobe-esque.

jcmoon likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent column, @Clutch, and you should write more of them. Your analysis is spot on. You rightly mentioned the Brandon Knight move and the Westbrook deal - over paying, with multiple future 1st's and 1st round pick swaps going out the window. Fertitta oblivious to Knight's value in a future trade, and the opportunity to expand on the Westbrook deal, while seeming to think that 1st round picks grow on trees in Morey's backyard, all to save our new owner some bucks.

Both egregious examples of his apparent obsession with winning a championship "on the cheap," while spouting off nonsense about willing to "do whatever it takes to win a championship." Lip service to the season ticket holders. The old saw that talk is cheap fits Tilman to a T. The way he runs at the mouth? If his lips were legs, he could be on the Olympic track team.

I agree that we needed to do something, just that it didn't have to go down this way with some foresight. Like I mentioned in the game thread, we're now seeing Mike D'Antoni transformed, a mad scientist given free rein to experiment with lineups like we haven't seen before in his era. That'll be a trip to watch play out, even as Fertitta gives me heartburn.

Relativist, DeBeards, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This was a great write up. You perfectly articulated the issues with Tilman so far.

Clutch likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

One thing I don't like with this column is the way Clutch keeps saying Rockets overpaid for WB with "4 picks". Yes it is 4 picks, but its a mix of 2 low first rounders and 2 2nd rounders. And we offloaded a toxic contract, in fact one of the most toxic contracts in the NBA today. And no I dont give a crap how "amazing" Cp3 is playing, 17 pts a night is not enough for 40M just stop thats what you get from EG and he makes less than half of that while being 4 years younger. It's like when scrubberson was only giving you 12 pts for 18M thats not enough raw production for the salary you are missing no matter how high the efficiency is.

Shedding that dead weight and giving you somebody who gets 27.8 pts 8 rebs 7.3 asts on 53% TS is well worth 2 frps and 2 2nd round picks. Let's put that notion to rest cuz tbh OKC got ripped off on that trade.

#35 roslolian, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah if Rockets don’t win in next 1-3 years, we’re doomed. Let’s see when Tilman pays up, if he ever does. I wonder how long Morey lasts..

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

@roslolian So much misinformation there.

- The article doesn't say "four picks" even once, much less "keep saying" it.

- It's two first round picks and two first round pick swaps.

- You have zero clue where those picks will be other than they won't be top 4 (protection). You're lying to yourself to feel better if you act sure that the picks will be "low" when they are picks 4.5 and 6.5 SEASONS away. Even the Rockets privately concede those picks are quite valuable.

- That's your opinion on Chris Paul and his contract. It's pretty clear you're sticking to it if you "don't give a crap" how amazing he's playing.

xaos, Invisible Fan, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great article Clutch, as you know I am skeptical of the move, but they had to try something.

DD

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The Knicks are losing and the Rockets are winning. BIG difference!

20. SuraGotMadHops

"We're talking Rocketball!"

Who remembers the Paramount 20 Rockets song from 94? "Dun dun dun dun dun alright! Dun dun dun dun dun dun kick it! We're talking Rocketball! This year...is...our year we're NUMBER 1!"

D-rock and Rocket River like this.