1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep. AD and Greek Freak will abuse anyone much smaller than them...that's part of what makes them great. Kawhi was able to really affect GA, but he's a unicorn. It's a matchup problem for anyone not named Kawhi, or LeBron.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey's stats are for general efficiency over a large sample size. They do not speak to specific match up situations. If the Rockets have no answer to AD's post up game, then they are going to pound it into him until we can stop it.

This is the same about the 3pt shot. The efficiency is real in general. But when you have a guy like Westbrook, you DON'T want him to shoot the 3. Harden's ISO is very efficient in general. But when he is doubled at the half court, you have to do something else.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess Capela's value is not as great as a lot of us thought.

BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean if you really think about it, he's a limited pnr center who was maximized in a system playing with some of the best pg's in the game in an offensive friendly system. Remember people on this board were set on him getting max. that was never ever the case in reality. The good thing was there was never an overpay by morey.

The game in this era has constant guys with length going in and out who are capable of pnr and these days more and more are coming in with some kind of shooting ability. Capela is good for a lot of teams but not exactly as valuable as he once was.

BaselineFade and Easy like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. In this day and age, if you can't shoot from distance, you are limited.

It's still a bit surprising that we had to throw in a 1st just to swap him for Covington.

And to think that Covington played only 7 games for us before we cut him. And we drafted Capela the next season in the first round. smh

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

and if CC couldn't shoot, he would have needed to be able to excel in other areas to make up for it to really up his value. Like being a playmaker, being able to handle the ball, elite defender, good FT shooter, etc. The good thing was he has a good bball IQ that helped a good deal along the way.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That makes sense, except I'm missing something. Seems Minny is the team requiring persuasion.

Since our pick went to Denver, Minny was persuaded more by Beasley and Hernangomez than our pick? Wow, seems like Minny would want 2 picks instead. Further, ATL didn't get touched by our pick at all...they just took Nene.

So, yeah, it does seem like Bima is correct, since no way we needed to add a FRP for Green to Denver ... but it is very odd, Minny didn't take that pick as their needed persuasion.

Easy and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

what is there to stop? I’m fine letting AD score 100. I bet the Rockets win that game. I would never double him I would let him shoot every single shot. I think he’s overrated, and he settles for the fade-away way too much. Eventually he will miss them. Or he will just get injured in the game cuz he’s made of glass.

More afraid of Giannis. He doesn’t settle, he just dunks. But we won’t see them unless we get to finals anyways.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

When in doubt it’s safe to bet that Tilman’s financial incentives were the driving force ?

That’s where I lean. That’s the evidence from the past couple of years at least ...

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well, several reports were that Minny wanted 2 FRPs for Covington to get DLo, or they pass, and that's what they got, flipping one for DEN players, keeping one ... and packaging theirs for DLo.

Maybe Morey said, fine, but we'll need ATL to eat Nene and someone to take Green, so if you can get ATL to give you a pick, we will give you a pick, too ... as long as we purge Nene/Green in the process, oh, and toss in Jordan Bell.

From that necessary persuasion of 2 Picks, Minny helped make it work, then got DLo.

So yes, somewhere in there we purged Nene/Green. But it was the 2 picks that persuaded Minny ... hence Bima’s comment.

12. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

That made me sad. :(

GotGame15, hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, I guess we may have a glimpse of what could happen tonight.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think only 3 players from the 65 win 2017-18 squad are still on the Rockets.

That's pretty crazy turnover in 2 years...

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. amaru

amaru Member

I was just coming to post this. Glad I saw your post first.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. Again, regardless of what the league ruled, this is essentially two separate trades from the Rockets' perspective:

Trade 1: Capela/Nene for Turner, 2020 BKN 1st & 2024 GSW 2nd. (Not a horrible return for Capela.)

Trade 2: Turner, Green, 2020 BKN 1st & 2020 HOU 1st for Covington/Bell. (Green & Bell are just throw-ins.)

For Minnesota, they demanded two firsts, not only to give up Covington but also to take on Turner's larger (albeit expiring) salary, which will cost them an extra nearly $3M just in prorated salary (or more if they remain in the tax this season).

Hence, "tax savings" had nothing to do with losing that extra first rounder. Nene was already being dumped in Trade 1. Even then, both Nene and Green could've been waived (and the Rockets eaten their salaries) and STILL ducked the tax! This was 100% about Minnesota's leverage.

As for Minnesota valuing Beasley & Juancho over our pick, I COMPLETELY agree with Rosas here. It's doubtful they get a player near as good as Beasley with that pick (or maybe not even as good as Juancho). They have both of those players as restricted free agents in a summer when no one has cap room, so it's likely they can get one or both on relatively team-friendly deals moving forward. I thought that was a really smart move by Rosas.

#1079 BimaThug, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    D-rock and YOLO like this.
  19. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Best of Luck to Kid Capela.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.