1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Wojbomb) Rockets talking to several Eastern conference teams about Capela trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 2, 2020.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Sounds like it

CNBC said Morey has been told to get rid of Clint to get under Luxury tax

tilman will not pay Clint and his luxury tax

Mazulis and Nelly like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

CNBC's sources are outside GMs.

What makes you think they know anything about our Org?

D-rock likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Popovich was devastated to lose Bertans. He is an excellent player that would fit D'Antoni like a glove.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

You've never heard of a team giving extended minutes to 'showcase' players that may have fallen out of the normal rotation when they are actively peddling their names on the trade block? What about when teams are trying to tank - we shouldn't be ignorant enough to believe a coach would actually hold back a player to the detriment of the team, should we?

The reality is today's NBA team's front-office and coaching staff are much more connected strategically than they ever have been. If playing time can actually make a marked impact on a player's perceived value and thus trade demand, I'd be shocked if there isn't some level of coordination going on between the front office and coaching staff. I'm pretty sure this is something Morey has alluded to in his multiple interviews w/ Bill Simmons.

It's all speculation obviously, but I don't think this is as out-there or otherworldly as you are suggesting. This is also the same site that has threads with thousands of replies about who Harden is currently dating.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, but he's a bench tier player, his defense isn't good enough if you want to compete, Pop loved him but didn't start him over guys like Poeltl, that tells you enough.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Great. Bertans can visit Dan Tony next year at the retirement home. They can put puzzles together.

Dacamel and RudyTBag like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That is not an apples to apples comparison.

The teams that usually showcase players are teams that are going nowhere or are playoff dwelling teams. A team that is competing for a championship, you don't hold players back just because your GM is trying to prevent him from looking like an attractive piece. That makes absolutely zero sense. I understand that there is an open line of communication between our FO and coaches, but if a player is conducive to wins, then a coach will play him. I'd argue that Isiah should be playing at this time, but it is obvious that Mike has no patience for him, Mike doesn't believe Isiah is a player that is going to help this team at this moment in time. This has nothing to do with Mike/Morey plotting in the background to keep Isiah from being a sought after player.

Players that usually get shut down is because as you said, the team is trying to tank. That makes absolute sense. The casualties here are usually veterans. Usually that means younger players are given every opportunity in the world to see if they are worth keeping for future building.

Maybe I'm absolutely wrong and I'm okay with admitting that, but the scenario you guys are posing does not make any sense. A team that has championship aspiration will use every body that gives them the best opportunity to win. That's the reason I call this "silly speculation".

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Theis and Covington is very realistic and needs to happen!

xaos likes this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I get not wanting to trade Capela to a WC team because we don't really want to see that smoke until we absolutely have to...

...but is there no trade partner in the WC for Capela? Not that Covington is a bad player or anything, but Capela is a high-value trade piece (read: our best). We're cutting off an entire conference of players just because Tilman/Morey don't want to go against Capela in regular and post- seasons?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think what the Rockets will get for Capela will surprise a lot of people.

The thing is, Embiid is in that conference, along with Giannis, Siakam, and the Pacers have an excellent front court.

You're not going anywhere in the East without a good big man. Some team is going to bite hard on this one. I can feel it. Not sure what the end result will be but as long as Tilman stays the F out of Morey's dealing he's going to rob some poor teams of their talent. I can feel it.

12. lionaire

lionaire Member

LOL who's gonna tell him ?

D-rock, mockster, forchette49 and 8 others like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

For some reason (maybe the rumors about Tilman) i have the opposite feeling, that we're going to make just another bad questionable if not bad trade.

14. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

You hate to see it

D-rock likes this.
  15. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Obligatory
    [​IMG]

mockster, seclusion, Bids9 and 2 others like this.
  16. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Not about hiding Hartenstein's value - it's about preventing Hartenstein from draining Capela's value. Seems to me like Rockets lose leverage if Harty plays in-relief of Capela and plays even semi-comparably. It appears other teams are valuing Capela as a fringe-star difference-maker, and the Rockets obviously want to push that narrative. Any semblance of a notion that Capela's stats are inflated by our system and Harty produces at a similar rate when given the opportunity would make teams a lot less interested, and it seems like Morey/MDA have a vision for the playoff lineup and moving Capela is an important piece of that.

Just speculating - I agree with you that it's more realistic that MDA just doesn't trust him. But his playing time falling off a cliff after that one break-out game has been fairly perplexing to me, and this is just a random explanation I came up with.

EDIT - to add to that last point, when's a comparable situation of a young player having a 17 point, 15 rebound, 5 block game on 8-9 shooting in 25 minutes and is rewarded with more DNP-CD's and less minutes in his rare appearances, especially when the roster's injury situation has only gotten worse!

#356 oelman44, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    RudyTBag, clutchdabear and joshuaao like this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

i would just get drummon....on an expiring if i was a east team

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

if its not love i rather keep what we got..

to me covington loses his impact if clints not on the team to pair with him.

my math is u either want 3 defensive studs to pair with russ and harden.

or 4 offensive studs and 1 defensive guy(pj)

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to believe!

oelman44 likes this.
  20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member