1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hot Fiya

Hot Fiya Member

Dusty is a proven winner, great GM. Anyone complaining and griping about this is obvious. I will give this proven brother a chance. He got this.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When was Baker a GM?

htwnbandit, mikol13, Gray_Jay and 2 others like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think the complaints, mostly, was he didn't embrace analytics. What someone says in an interview and tells the media doesn't always turn out to be so. But for me, he gets the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Can you imagine if we had hired Bannister, how many games you think he gets thrown out of due to opposing players and fans heckling and trying to intimidate our players this coming year? 20? 30? :D Hell, I bet Dusty gets thrown out of 5 or 6.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Anyone complaining and griping about this is obvious what?

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You know what he means. It can’t be that he has a history of not getting over the hump or burning out pitchers or not embracing analytics or change. No the only reason people don’t like him is because of his skin color. You ain’t know?

6. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I hope you are right. But there is a part of me that thinks the cheating has been longer and deeper than what the commissioner "reported." In that case, imagine a bunch of phantom injuries all yr long as guys struggle.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Well it has, just not only with the Astros.

Still waiting on whatever punishment the Alex Cora-led 2018 World Series winning Red Sox are going to receive. What a joke.

They might want a GM sooner than later. Could Sarah Gelles handle the gig?

raining threes likes this.
  8. SS0101

SS0101 Member

There was just a tweet this morning where Peter Gammons said something about the Red Sox being more motivated to trade Betts w/o Price in the deal (to get a better prospect return) bc of the possible looming punishment from MLB in which the Red Sox might be anticipating draft picks and international money being taken away.

One of the first replies to the tweet basically said, "any way of knowing what penalty might be while considering that what the Red Sox did was not as bad as what the Astros did?"

That is the narrative. It has been set and established. The average fan thinks that every rumor (debunked or not, stated as false by the Manfred report or not) is true. Nothing that comes down against the Red Sox will be held anywhere close to us. Phil Hughes sent a tweet where he taped a wire to an Altuve baseball card as part of a "game used jersey" card "joke." One of the first replies was by a baseball writer for the Athletic. We have been smeared and it isnt stopping. No matter who else is being investigated or comes under investigation, we are THE poster child. Sucks.

9. conquistador#11

Have I ever mentioned this girl I know. Blowjob Betty, one of a kind, hell of a girl. ...
    (my Too$hort ref for the day)

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So Dusty has never managed in the AL, certainly will be different having to handle true pitching decisions. In the NL so much of the time it's an easier decision to pull the pitcher in double switches, here it's truly about the pitcher

Will also be interesting to see how he handles the lineup. I was one of the few that liked Springer leading off from the start. Most, especially around here, didn't buy into it until we won it all in 17. Being more traditional, wonder how he will handle the everyday lineup

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Solomon of the HC has an article up entitled, "Baker's age does not make him old." That has to be the stupidest article title ever.

Nook likes this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

Solomon is the biggest idiot on that staff.

Nook and solid like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Dusty would not have been my choice, but being only a one year guarantee makes it more palatable. He hasn't managed a single game for the Astros so I will give him the chance that Crane thinks he deserves.

This season is win the World Series or bust.

No pressure Dusty....

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Now Astros pull it off this year, Dusty would be only the 2nd African-American manager to win a World Series

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Do people find the AL pitching decision harder?

I always thought NL was harder because of needing to balance all those variables.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

All he has to do is not F it up...that's it...He better got this!

17. Elienator

Elienator Member

There are certainly more decisions to be made and switches to deal with in the National League, but some decisions are easier arguably easier. On the whole I’d say the AL is easier tactically.

RKREBORN and raining threes like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Nope. Add in the new relief pitcher rules, the presence of Strom...

Nook likes this.
  19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Nope. NL is significantly more difficult.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

people love to say that, but reality is that is not true

High percentage of pitching moves in NL are made because of other issues, other decisions

AL you have to make a true decision on your pitcher

now in NL there are more other tactical issues to deal with