1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans name new GM: Bob O’Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

You just know he is sitting at a restaurant after eating a huge 100 dollar steak, leaning back in his chair and with a straight face saying to his wife, “You know babe, I really am awesome. I earned this. All of it.”

2. Nook

Nook Member

There it is!

3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

(Afterwards, at the press conference)

"That's on me. I've got to be better, get the prescription ahead of time, maybe lose some weight. It's not easy being in this position, and I've got to do a better job of handling the responsibilities.

No more questions."

(Texans press release: Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Eubanks fired. Duties to be assumed by Head Coach and General Manager Bill O'Brien.)

Nook likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Blow this roster up Billy specifically the defensive side.

raining threes likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hope he rebuilds it faster than when he blew up the OL. It only took three 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, a 3rd, and a revolving door of OG FAs to get the right combo (hopefully).

vinsensual and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. TilmanFinancialWindfall

How does o Brien do it????

Is he holding pictures or hostage???

How is he not fired, but promoted
    Hooooow

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I tend to think I’m a pretty rational fan. Sure I give them grief but feel that I typically give them the benefit of the doubt for the most part. There are certainly moves that I have questioned, disagreed with, and downright hated.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell Cal is doing with this. You fired your GM after 1 year to bring in someone you and your guys wanted. And the only reason you didn’t get him is because your guys royally f*cked it up in one if the biggest blunders in recent memory. And because they won double digit games, you are completely turning over the reigns to them?

Man I hope they prove me wrong but I have zero faith in BoB as an OC, let alone a HC and GM. And Easterby f*cked up the one thing we know he was actually tasked with.

#87 gucci888, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The sad part is we don’t even know how good they will be. They were below average this year.

King1 and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Gaine was fired in part for HR issues, but yeah O’Brien wanted him gone as well.

I remember years ago Cal’s father talking about the Steelers and Giants and saying you pick your guy and you give them every single chance to succeed and you don’t toss in the towel because the timeline isn’t what you hoped for.

That really seems to have carried over from father to son. So I don’t doubt that philosophy is part of it. Another part of it is that Cal is known as someone that can be impressionable. The Godfather to one of his children is the former GM (just not a smart move). He typically follows his coach around and blurs personal and professional relationships. Last he is quite the socialite. The Texans are there to make the family money, impress the McNair’s friends. Cal is very active in a number of social groups other than the Texans... so he likes BOB, the team is competitive and he is comfortable.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Give it a year and he'll be the Defensive Coordinator too.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I also think the fact that Kubiak went and won a Super Bowl two years after we fired him factors in. Kubiak was here for 8 years. He won a ring in his 9th year as a head coach. I'm sure the thought that maybe they should've stuck with Kubes a little longer crossed their minds.

O'Brien is now going into his 7th year as HC and I think Cal is afraid of the same thing happening. It's kind of the sunk cost fallacy. The thought that we've invested a lot of time in O'Brien already, what if he's only 1 or 2 years away like Kubiak was? We're afraid of abandoning the investment for fear that it will eventually pay off. If we fire O'Brien, it means the last 6 years were a waste and Cal doesn't want to accept that.

I know the McNair's have cited the Steelers as a model to follow. But Chuck Noll went to a conference championship in his 4th year and won a Super Bowl in his 6th. Bill Cowher went to a conference championship in his 3rd year and the Super Bowl in his 4th year. Mike Tomlin won a Super Bowl in his 2nd year.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

This is disgusting. After this last playoff game, I made a vow that I would not watch any Texans games as long as BoB is the coach and I plan to honor that. He can’t handle being a coach and now he’s GM too. Our owners are losers when it comes to football and they likely always will be. It’s sad bc I’ve watched the Texans every year since their inaugural year, but I know better than to trust BoB. #GoAstros #GoRockets

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The media who don't work for 610 want him fired and I haven't seen a coach this disliked in Houston since Jerry Glanville.. Its crazy even the national guys who never pay attention to the Texans don't understand how he is even employed.

Kubiak is light years better as a coach than Bill Obrien his offense has worked for years with different teams and O'briens hasn't finished in the top 10 at all except for when he was with the damn goat in Brady.

The only silver lining in this is that Obrien has so much power that the odds of him hanging himself just went way up.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Press conference next week to announce the franchise is changing its name from Texans to The Houston BoB’s. Steer helmet logo will be replaced with BoB’s face.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Double down on the sht hc and giving him more power. Scarface's boner is @ an all time high.

J.R. likes this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

The outrage in this thread is greatly overblown. The reality is that the Texans won 10 games, the afc south championship and advanced in the playoffs, for some reason there are a lot of Texans fans that feel if the team doesn't win a superbowl then the season was a failure. Regardless of the outcome of the chiefs game, the 2019 Texans season was a success and that was under the guidance of one Billy O. Billy made the trade for Tunsil that improved the offensive line, got Kenny Stills who made some big plays for us this year. He traded for Carlos Hyde who went on to rush for 1,000+ yards. He tried to improve the secondary the best he could by trading for Crossen and Conley then brought in Hargreaves. Plus the day to day that we don't see or hear about. I don't know if he needed the title but he deserves a pat on the back for the work he's done. As long as he gets Weaver the guys he needs to get the defense back the top half in the league I have no complaint about this.

body slam and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Every other team in afc south has made it to Afc championship since BoB tenure. No one expects the sht coach to win superbowl, but most of us arent happy with him just winning the afc south title either.

19. Fantasma Negro

The defense collapsed, he bears responsibility as the head coach but for fukh sake he doesn't coach the defense

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You missed the point.