1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friendswood resident robbed in driveway with $9,000 cash on them

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCorn, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How do you "judge" someone whether or not someone withrdrew a lot of money from the bank like the reporter in the video states? Sounds more like someone on the inside knows or something.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I will not say it is super common but I have known a handful of people that have that kind of cash on them or with them.

I know someone that does criminal defense work and insists on being paid in cash and he spends it to avoid taxes.

I also know a man who has a wife that is overly controlling. He makes a lot of money and his younger wife would go line by line on his spending and critique it. His home is worth1.5 million in an exclusive part of Chicago suburbs. He supports his wife and children extremely well and has a lot in savings. From his perspective she has no reason to hound his spending. As a result he has cash amounts of 10-20 K every 3-6 months set aside that he uses for spending money. He has kept it sitting in stacks in his drawer at work. I’ve seen pull it out of a back pack that was in his back seat. It is pretty crazy to see though.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you could be correct, but any amount of large money could be deemed suspicious by the police. For instance, if you get pulled over with 3k, there will be beaucoup questions and your car is probably getting searched for drugs.

The 10k you're thinking is the limit you can pay a business (really $9,999) without it being reported to the IRS. For instance, if you purchase a car, and give them 10k down cash, it's getting reported. A 10k check gets no report.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I bet it was an inside job.

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

A friend of mine is getting her house remodeled. The contract pulled cash to pay his guys, but left the cash in the car. Couple of guys went into the car (he accidentally left it unlocked) and took it. I told her he needs to start paying with checks.

Every now and then we'll do a garage sale and I'll pull some 5's and 1's from the bank to have changed. Last time, the clerk told me to "put that in your pocket right away, those hawks outside are always watching." This was like 75 bucks, but maybe seemed like more because of all the ones.

She could have been holding the envelope, or possibly putting it into her purse on the way out. Or, she could have went through the drive thru too, never know. But, this sort of thing happens more often than you might think.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The less interesting side of this story is that the Friendswood area has seen a bit of a crime spree lately. All kinds of robberies are up in the last year or so.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Which one was Cash and which one was Tango?

8. SuraGotMadHops

A friend of mine stopped at the bank to withdraw cash before heading to Vegas, he stopped for ice cream at the Marble Slab in Gulfgate afterwards and by the time he was done with his cotton candy waffle bowl his windows were smashed and that cash was long gone.

Nook likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fortunately, there are laws which allow you to protect/defend yourself. The criminals are putting themselves in a position where violence is legal. Some people need things to happen to them as it would make the world a better place. Very doubtful a robber/burglar is only committing those acts. You can likely add crimes like insurance fraud, identity theft, and other scams to their menu.

10. likestohypeguy

And telling fibs, to the police.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was in a Chase at Beltway 8 and 45 and they had stacks of these next to all the ATMs. Obviously a broad enough issue that they think they need to print these up and alarm customers.

20200128_132235_compress25.jpg 20200128_132240_compress21.jpg

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is probably a good reminder for people.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You always have some weird ass story about the people you know.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I know or have known a lot of weird people.

Attorneys are very weird people..... my friends are weird...... my wives friends are even more odd.

15. SuraGotMadHops

I am a fellow attorney and I can confirm this as factual AF.

Nook likes this.
  16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

if I got that many cash with me, i'd be SUPER alert of my surrounding or even have someone else follow me home.

And they made rear view mirror for a reason folks

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Every lawyer I’ve ever met has that deadpan, I’ve-seen-it-all gallows humor personality.

Nook likes this.