1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m actually having a hard time figuring out what truly set this in motion. I don’t think MLB had a real problem with sign stealing; everyone does it to differing degrees, and everyone knows everyone else is doing it. My guess is it was a combination of 3 things:

1. most importantly, I don’t think Manfred (and other teams) liked Luhnow, and they wanted him gone. This issue was their opportunity. They didn’t like his cut throat McKinsey mentality and how far he was willing to go to get an advantage.
    2. Secondly, I think Manfred recognized that introducing technology as a tool for sign stealing could potentially get out of control. And rather than wait until it did, he is trying to quash it here and now.
    3. Finally, Fiers threw gas on the issue by going to the media (who also had an axe to grind with Luhnow). Made it tough for Manfred to ignore or minimize. But again, I think Manfred saw this issue as a chance to get rid of Luhnow.

Oversimplifying, it comes down to Luhnow being hated by many different people, and they all came together to frag his ass.

BigM and SS0101 like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Gotta have a little fun sometimes, I guess.

BigM and everyday eddie like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Americans shouldn't like the products McKinsey produces and the services they offer. The've propped up authoritative governments, dictators, tax evasion and money laundering. Bringing that culture to the Astros was proven to be toxic.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this and I think that's why it'll blow over...Everyone does it, each team has to prevent this in some form or fashion. I'm ready for opening day!

5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

They can hire our "cheater" but we can't keep him!?

RustyHarden and desihooper like this.
  7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice, safe spot to land for AJ to be paired with his friend and former agent.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gritty is now under investigation for banging hitting a trash can child.

NHL mascot Gritty is under police investigation following allegations of physical assault
    The mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers is being investigated for allegedly pushing a 13-year-old boy during a meet and greet. The Flyers say they found "nothing" to support the claim after an investigation.

In Greenwell’s telling, Brandon playfully patted the mascot on the head after the photo was taken. As Brandon walked away, Gritty got out of his chair, “took a running start," and “punched my son as hard as he could," Greenwell said Wednesday.

Officials at Comcast Spectacor, the company that owns the Flyers, told Greenwell there is no video footage of the incident because the “cameras in that area of the center are focused on other locations,” according to emails between Greenwell and officials. The company claimed it conducted an investigation that included interviews with Gritty, and “Gritty’s handler,” but couldn’t verify Greenwell’s account.

“We took Mr. Greenwell’s allegations seriously and conducted a thorough investigation that found nothing to support this claim,” a Flyers spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

Greenwell said he took his son to see a chiropractor about a week after the incident. The chiropractor noted that Brandon suffered from mild pain, and diagnosed him with a back bruise, or a “contusion to lower thoracic spine with subluxation,” according to documents from the chiropractor, provided by Greenwell.

The dispute has crossed from he-said, Gritty-said into the realm of law enforcement.

About a month after the alleged punch, as Comcast Spectacor and Greenwell couldn’t come to an agreement, Greenwell reported the incident to Philadelphia police. The matter is being investigated by South Detectives Division. A police spokesperson on Tuesday described the case as an alleged "physical assault” that occurred “during a photo shoot with 13 year old white male and Flyers mascot Gritty.”

“The investigation is active and on-going,” police said.

After the alleged punch, Greenwell emailed officials at Comcast Spectacor, first complaining of the “lousy picture” with the mascot who didn’t look at the camera. Then he raised the “more serious and disappointing” concern.

“I know it was not correct for my son to harmlessly tap him on his head but for a Flyers employee to get [sic] throw a full punch at someone with his back turned and hurt a 13 year old boy is assault, unprofessional and unacceptable for your organization,” he wrote.

Comcast Spectacor officials said there was no proof that Gritty hit the boy, but offered special perks to make up for the “bad experience.” Greenwell suggested the Flyers show his son on the giant scoreboard or let him into the locker room to meet players and get autographs. The company offered to sit Brandon on the players’ bench during warm-ups before a future game.

“I have investigated your allegations and cannot identify anyone who witnessed the incident as you described it,” wrote Laurie Kleinman, vice president of risk management at Comcast Spectacor, in a Dec. 5 email to Greenwell. “It is unfortunate that you and your son had a bad experience at our Gritty Photo Event. Therefore, we are offering an opportunity to discuss a creative way to restore your son’s love of the Philadelphia Flyers.”

The email exchange soured when Greenwell and Kleinman disagreed on what was said during a December phone call. Greenwall claimed Kleinman told him that Gritty admitted he hit Brandon. Kleinman denied saying that.

“At no time did I state that one of my colleagues hit your son," Kleinman replied in a Dec. 23 email. “Gritty, however, recalls being hit on the head repeatedly by someone during one of the earlier photo shoots.”

Greenwall said he hasn’t hired a lawyer, adding that all he wanted was an apology and something special for his son. He filed the complaint with police Dec. 21.

A police spokesperson said there are no other open, or closed, investigations into alleged assaults by Gritty.

Handles and BigShasta like this.
  9. AstrosRockets1818

I watched those World Series Videos 100 times and never saw the towels we had hanging down to block the view.

10. mikol13

Supporting Member

11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

This is the guy who has claimed over and over that more info will keep coming out. Claims to have been told by multiple sources about multiple teams, but he says he "isnt in the business" of ratting them out. I really hope he is telling the truth lol

Jake Tower and mikol13 like this.
  12. mikol13

Supporting Member

Oh I think he’s telling the truth. It’s a matter of who is willing to jump on the grenade. I really don’t expect anyone to, but hoping more comes out so the playing field is evened.

I’m glad this guy is not an Astros fan. He’s in the public eye and has been a Phillies fan forever.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1413 J.R., Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    msn and desihooper like this.
  14. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“Players were not given the latest state of the rules,” said Boras, who represents two current Astros — second baseman José Altuve and right-hander Lance McCullers. “To suggest players violated rules that were withheld from them is a false incrimination of players.”

That memo release was all over the news/sites, lol. Everyone should have known after the Apple Watch incident.... Goodness!

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Luhnow not forwarding the memo is a fine reason for the league to not be able to formally punish them, but it’s absurd to try to use that as an excuse for the players not to publicly address what they did.

desihooper likes this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The whole media message of "Earn History" for the 2017 Playoff run appears to have not aged well...

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ullers-Jr-expects-Astros-to-come-14999951.php

“My focus and my comments and my intentions are going to be on moving forward,” McCullers said Thursday night during an interview on SportsTalk790. “You can’t say anything right about whatever the report has said or what people will continue to say. People every single day will come out with new conspiracy theories. I’m just going to lay low, I think other guys are going to do the same, and we just want to play baseball again.”

“You can’t change what’s happened in the past. You can’t change the topics that have been discussed about us,” McCullers said. “All we can do is roll into spring and come together as a group — which I know we will — and win about 100 ballgames again.”

After some of the players received criticism for how they handled questions about the sign-stealing scheme last week, owner Jim Crane vowed Tuesday that the team will get together in spring training and could issue a “strong statement” of apology.

“I think everyone is going to talk about it as much or as little as they want,” McCullers said. “I’m speaking to you guys a little about it more because we were talking about the charity stuff. But it’s not something I’m going to talk about a lot. I think everyone is going to speak for themselves and have their own opinions on how they want to address it.”

McCullers said he will begin to throw bullpen sessions next week in preparation to pitch a full 2020 season, one that will undoubtedly contain contentious meetings with enraged opponents in other ballparks.

“Yeah, I’m sure it’s going to be hostile,” McCullers said. “Whether it would have been this or whether it would have been something else, usually everybody on the road is not so nice to us anyway. … We’re going to come together as a group. We still have a very close-knit group of guys. We still all care for one another.”

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

What do yall think about the "corrected" report that Manfred didn't actually put a "gag order" on teams? That it was just a suggestion according to Brian Cashman of the Yankees. That is a pretty big correction of info imo.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Well, players do frequently say they don't pay attention to the news and all that outside noise. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.