1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No s**t.

Surely they can find a manager that hasn't been an active member of the hate mob.

BMoney, mikol13 and RustyHarden like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The more I think about it, the more my gut tells me it might very well end up being Eduardo Pérez. I don’t like his inexperience, but hiring him throws an olive branch to the media, which helps with PR, he’s relatively young, he’s been with Houston before, he’s related to MLB royalty, he knows the game from multiple perspectives, he’s analytical, he just checks a lot of boxes. I have a feeling he’s going to end up being the guy.

RKREBORN likes this.
  3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Can't wait to bring back the Bo Porter era of Astros baseball.

4. Nook

Nook Member

While I appreciate your sentiment, the punishment that the Astros received would have been far worse if Crane had not agreed to remove Luhnow and Hinch.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any clue as to what else they would have done?

Still don't see the logic... if only MLB wanted them out, they should have just banned them.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Astros are going for a perception thing, going for an active member of the hate mob may be the way to go. Too bad Ed "Straight Arrow" Genero only coached football.

NotInMyHouse and mikol13 like this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

How do we know that? It was already the steepest punishment handed out in recent history. Longer than any PED suspension, drug suspension, domestic violence suspension, draft picks, money, you name it, they included it. There's all kinds of speculation that the MLB forced Crane to do this or do that, but at the end of the day, the punishment was what it was. It is still Crane's team.

everyday eddie and Hank McDowell like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep, but dude didn’t even coach in the big game. It was someone far more progressive. :cool: 338E9F2E-C508-42DA-A646-81A424D45963.jpeg

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

MLB is trying to protect MLB. Hinch and Luhnow are being used as scapegoats. Hinch and Luhnow have been removed from the Astros and are removed from MLB for at least a year, but still can get blackballed permanently. However, if other teams get caught, MLB can issue mass 1-year suspensions without having to do a mass of GM and manager bans. In other words, MLB gets to punishment they want, but have an out if things go sideways on them.

Nook likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You keep saying that. How do you know it? What would it have been? I can only assume you are implying forfeiture of the title, because what else could be worse than what has already happened?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Punishment on the Braves should be comparable....though the Braves appear to have signed the wrong guys.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

very strange, I listen to Mlb radio on XM every morning and he has been constantly ripping us

maybe he is trying to drive away the competition lol

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hinch and Luhnow can be back in the league in 1 year, which is plenty of enough time for this story to have dissipated and teams to feel they’re worth it.

if MLB doesn’t want them back in the game, hence them forcing them to get fired, they should have issued a punishment that could accomplish that.

#234 Nick, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why would MLB issue a ban when they can get Luhnow fired and then blackballed? There are GMs that MLB likes, and doesn't want to ban in the unlikely event that the media can get other players to squeal.

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I imagine that @Nook is implying that they’d punish Crane by either forcing him out due to the culture of the club and forcing him to sell or flat out take the team from him.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sounds like a lot of conjecture and a pretty transparently weak way to handle it, but pretty much MO as far as how Mansfred has handles things (poorly) thus far.

Luhnow can be hired in a year. Hinch can be hired in a year. Still not clear why MLB mandated them to lose a job during an unpaid suspension that they can get back.

18. Nook

Nook Member

No one told me what the punishment would have been otherwise so it would just be conjecture. What I was told by someone that for now is still employed by the Astros, is that ownership and the commissioner spoke and an understanding was reached where ownership would be cleared and the GM and manager would be fired.

Why not just increase the penalties on Luhnow and Hinch? MLB wanted an appearance of a unified front that the transgressors were punished by agreement of all parties.

It is also the same reason the Astros have cast a wide net for manager. Any manager or GM hired will not be someone at odds with the commissioner.

At the end of the day this was all about trying to prevent the competitive nature of the sport from being questioned and to protect owners and Crane is an owner.

My friend as of Saturday doesn’t know if he will have a job. All his emails were ordered to be turned over. Crane has done everything on his own and usual decision makers within the organization are in the dark. My friend can retire in the little town he lives in, write and play with his dogs. However some of the others are worried even with assurances they will not be blackballed.

FWIW there are supposedly many people in baseball that believe Luhnow especially was wronged but will not speak up and were told to not discuss it.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Too bad Philly got him, I would have liked to had Joe Girardi.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thanks.

will be interesting to see on Luhnow. He was not universally despised, despite what the media wants people to believe... a lot of which has filtered itself on to this BBS. He also has loyal followers who are still employed as MLB GM’s.

I’d say odds are good that if he wants back in baseball, he will get hired.