1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Baker would be the absolute worst choice imaginable. He's so bad he'd make games unwatchable.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not something a manager can really do

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Sure it is. You'll get fed up real quick when he has Altuve bunt Bregman over to 2nd all the time.

King1 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tell me where he consistently did that with his #2 and #3 hitters... and tell me if those #2 and #3 hitters were as good as these guys are?

In the end, I doubt they go with him... but Dusty Baker does have a ton of experience and has seen every single situation, and managed in every sort of situation.

everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Although I wish Hinch and Luhnow were still here, I am pleased with the fact that Jim Crane is doing a thorough interview process with multiple candidates and taking his time. Feb. 3rd is a date that is very close to pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training but I am confident that Crane will do his due diligence and hire the right guy for both the managerial opening and the GM vacancy.

while many people are not happy with the state of the Astros(including myself)- let’s not forget that Mr. Crane has made good on his promises. He promised to eventually have a contending team, up the payroll when the time was right, amongst other things. He brought in Jeff Luhnow and Mr. Luhnow helped build a powerhouse which will likely sustain at least for the next couple years. The guys he hires will be imperative to not only this years team but for years to come- I’m confident in mr Crane to make the right moves because he’s done it before.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

lol

except he wouldn’t do that

I’m a baseball fan and a lifelong Astros fan, if I didn’t turn it off in the Porter year I certainly wouldn’t quit watching this group with Dusty running the show

7. kentuckyalum

kentuckyalum Member

Fans of every team he's managed hated him because of his ridiculous small-ball tactics, terrible lineups, and absurd bullpen usage.

Sounds good on paper to those who don't know much about him, but he'd be a terrible hire and would without question cost the Astros in the playoffs.

#187 kentuckyalum, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

George Postolos Deserves Full Credit in Hiring Jeff Luhnow and Luhnow got Mike Elias, Sig Mejdal to come to Houston.Luhnow Hired A.J. Hinch
    Now everyone is gone. Postolos,Luhnow, Elias, Mejdal, Hinch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Postolos

9. Buck Turgidson

100% yes.

Keep Crane out of the Jerry Jones GM role, keep things in the clubhouse the same as they've been.

They can always bolster the front office or coaching staff later. Just get through this season with a minimum amount of additional disruption/bullsh!t.

10. Buck Turgidson

Baker, Gibbons and Bannister are all horrible ideas. eta: and Showalter

Might as well hire Cam Bonifay as GM while you're at it.

#190 Buck Turgidson, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    AznH-TownFan, whiskeyred and arkoe like this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I really don’t love the idea of a 70 year old retread manager. It’s not that I think any of the candidates are terrible, per se, but they sure as hell aren’t exciting. I’ve lost all faith in Jim Crane though, so anything he does is just going to piss me off anyway.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Of the names listed.... my preference is the Astros stay in house but I don’t think that happens. So my preference would be Will Venable or Raul Ibanez.

whiskeyred likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

These next hires are going to tell me a lot about Crane and the direction he wants to take the team.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I will be very surprised if he doesn’t hire an older experienced manager. He has pressure from the commissioners office, he is embarrassed in his social circles and has to explain all of this to his investors. I’m less concerned with the manager and more concerned about the GM hiring.

Does he have the balls to stick with a 30 year old GM? The best candidates have already gotten jobs. He can try and pick off Arnold in Milwaukee or Josh Byrnes in LA (I don’t think he would take the job) or possibly Brandon Gomes from LA. Honestly I would be “okay” with any of them or an in house candidate but I don’t want Dave Dombrowski or a retread.

At Union Station they think both spots are likely to be filled with older guys outside the organization but that is just a guess on their part as Crane isn’t telling anyone what will happen and is doing it all on his own.

15. Buck Turgidson

This is my point and my concern. He has the opportunity to take the franchise forward or set it back.

Nook, RayRay10, AznH-TownFan and 2 others like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Totally feel the same way. I don’t want older old school guys. Stay forward thinking. The damage is done, don’t do more.

Nook and whiskeyred like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man, I'm very nervous about this. We're already stuck with 2 complete trash owners, him completing the hat trick could ruin Houston sports for a while.

Crane could f**k this who thing up real quick if he's more interested in short term saving face than doing the smart thing. If this organization falls apart on the heels of the cheating scandal....that would be bad.

Nook, mikol13 and whiskeyred like this.
  18. prospecthugger

I would think Dombrowski hiring Cora for the 2018 Red Sox would pretty much exclude him from consideration. What's the point in bringing an outside candidate if they are linked to sign stealing?

19. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The best possible outcome is for interim GM Putila and interim manager Espada...and after the season Crane has a change of heart and brings back Hinch and Luhnow.

right1 likes this.
  20. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Biggio as replacement for Hinch!