1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That Fake Punt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pringles09, Jan 12, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should have kept Vrabel and fired Bob.

DD

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bob just seems to get everything backwards in the heat of the moment. I understand the sentiment of going for it on the punt but ultimately it's not a smart, or necessary play. Meanwhile, the 4th and 1 on the other end of the field he shrivels up and can't come up with a play. The emotions of each playcall are completely opposite then what they should have actually been. 4th and 1 - "i'm taking it to them". 4th and 4 on your own 30 (or whatever it was), "we should kick it and put our defense in an unnecessary bad position'

Texans probably still lose the game, but kicking it would have probably made it less drastic.

SuraGotMadHops and BigM like this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

you may be right and this may just be a coaching thing again but they repeatedly passed up on FG that were long in favor of going for it even when the yardage wasn't favorable. I don't have data for this just kinda being lazy and making a point based on memory.

I cant imaging the coaches telling him not to kick it in the back of the endzone against the chiefs but maybe they did :(

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree with you regarding the decisions to not kick throughout the year. A questionable situation (which happened to work out), was when they went for it on 4th and 3 against KC in the regular season rather than kick a 44 yard FG to give them a 10 point lead with less than 2 minutes left. I thought Fairbairn was definitely going to be cut after that game.

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL at the Stagger Lee reference...

You know what's sad? BOB has managed to trump two of the most infamous events in Houston football history - The Stagger Lee and The Comeback. He didn't do it in one tenure....he didn't do it in one season....he did it in ONE GAME.

It won't surprise me if I turn on the news Sunday morning to see that BOB mooned a wedding party the previous night.

CrazyJoeDavola, Hey Now! and Blatz like this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Texans gave up 7 touchdowns in a row.

Going for the fake punt ended up being the right call.

I’m not a fan whose going to pretend that the Chiefs also didn’t have a case of the drops which was a big reason the Texans got up 24-0 in the first place.

The Texans defensive scheme was poor and they made the history books for that very own reason.

BigM likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This fake coach.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i can't disagree with anything you said, but i still want the coaching staff cleaned out

Nook likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Two things can be right. Chiefs win anyways and O’Brien isn’t a good decision maker.

10. tmacfor35

and you aren’t wrong...

BigM likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

I do too.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  12. sanedolt

sanedolt Member

If they just punt, they might only give up 5 touchdowns without huge momentum shift.

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Lol every time I open this forum and see this thread I read it like I just woke up in the middle of the night with cold sweats screaming That fake punt!

14. Buck Turgidson

or "Go for it, go for it, go for it....!!!"

Blatz likes this.
  15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I may be digging a little deep here, but did anyone else thing Vrabel may have been trolling BOB with that fake punt against the Chiefs? It was perfectly executed.

Yeah, I know the game was pretty much over, but it did occur to me.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Vrabel was trolling O'Brien in the AFC Championship game in their last gasp to stay in the game, then he should be fired.