1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1917 - Directed by Sam Mendes - The Film

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deckard, Aug 5, 2019.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw this on New Years Day, it's a cinematic experience. Story is fairly basic but the way it's filmed is just amazing, highly recommended.....

Deckard and R0ckets03 like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I really want to see this but am afraid my violence-averse wife (even when it's integral to the story) might balk.

Although she's been less squeamish lately. I think "The Hateful 8" set a new bar for cinematic gore, so real-life stories shouldn't bother much.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

really really REALLY looking forward to this film. i've revisited all 6 blueprint for armageddon episodes of Hardcore History in anticipation. completely fascinating and absurdly frustrating conflict.

peleincubus and BigM like this.
  4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it may take that view (can't really remember), but it's really just a 20 hour breakdown of everything that led up to WWI and then everything that happened, down to battle by battle recounts, along with all of the political intrigue. it was definitely great because you hear so little about WWI.

BigM likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I may have to do this. I barely remember anything from it and it’s a fantastic commute buster.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So is this better than Dunkirk? I know theyre two different story and premises and also none of Nolans back and forth shenanigans, but as far as suspense, action and filming, does it strap you to your seat? Dunkirk is one of the very few movies where my bladder did not hold priority.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I thought it was definitely better than Dunkirk. Not a question.

Jontro, Deckard and donkeypunch like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just got out from seeing this...

I really enjoyed it. The story is basic, but that’s more than ok. For me it was more about feeling what was going on. I was very much on this journey with the two main characters.

Really appreciate how the film was shot. Tons of dialogue wasn’t necessary for it to be powerful.

Highly recommend it and I will most likely see it again.

Deckard likes this.
  9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I would definitely compare it to Dunkirk; both are visceral and ambient experiences. I preferred Dunkirk a little more, just for the incredible dogfighting IMAX sequences, but 1917 is a remarkable film in its own right. This is why you go to the movies, and this is why film needs filmmakers and plenty of studious and voices. We need unique moviegoing experiences like this, even though it's not he first time a movie has been shot in essentially one long take.

It's also quite interesting to see how they achieved the perception that it is one continuous take. A lot of tricks were used, and it looks pretty seamless.

mikol13 and donkeypunch like this.
  10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It's pretty amazing. I really enjoyed it. Two great WWI movies lately...this one and "They Shall not Grow Old", the Peter Jackson documentarty film where he amazingly colorized and enhanced old WWI footage. Both highly recommended.

11. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I hated Dunkirk. It was a total snoozefest for me and moved so slow. Is there a high probability I will snooze while watching 1917 too?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i saw they shall not grow old a couple weeks ago. highly recommend for anyone interested in WWI or even people who like watching old movies. they had some technology that added extra frames/second so the movements are more natural as opposed to the choppiness of old film footage. and they overdubbed dialogue so it looks like the person in the movie is talking. to see people speaking in 100 year old film footage is really cool. visually amazing and also terrifying to think that humans were actually put in the situations that they were.

13. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

To enjoy to the fullest should I watch this in IMAX or will a regular theater suffice?

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

IMAX if possible but still a great experience non the less.....

ramotadab likes this.
  15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's a slow burn like Dunkirk. There's some key action pieces, but this is definitely not Saving Private Ryan. So probability of snoozing may be high.

Cokebabies likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fantastic film. I was gripping from almost start to finish.

Watched it in Dolby and would recommend

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but I couldn’t disagree more. 1917 Is much different. If someone snoozes, they must have had some Valium before the movie. It’s nothing like Dunkirk, and while I enjoyed Dunkirk, I thought the 1958 British film of the same name was more authentic.

J Sizzle and GRENDEL like this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The scene of him running along the trench at the end is one of the most thrilling theater experiences I can remember.

Hustle Town likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My complaint about Dunkirk, outside a few amazing cinematic masterpiece scenes, was that it didn't need to be jumbled in time. It was jumbled just for the sake of Nolen being Nolen or something.

I'm excited about 1917.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

After seeing most of the nominees (in a great year), 1917 was my favorite film from 2019. I think it's one of the best films from the last several years.