1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hinch and Lunhow FIRED

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Yordan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

This sucks. I expect the Astros will get the baseball equivalent of the Colangelos who is owner/commish-approved but will run the team to the ground with bad decisions (see Sixers post-Hinkie). At the very least they can't take away 2017.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's certainly a dark time for the Stros and the city. I was talking to someone last night who wasn't an Astros fan but was surprised Crane did this when considering organizations like the Saints brought back Sean Payton after a year long suspension because of Bountygate and obviously the Patriots never got rid of Belicheck after Deflategate and Spygate.

It's a a very tough decision but I respect Crane for making that decision. What happens to the Stros after this I don't know but given the talent still on this team I'm not going to count them out.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

People jumping ship is usually a sign of a bad culture or poor pay.

Openly cheating by banging on a trashcan is a sign that culture is such that it is assumed no one would care in the organization.

Hinch not saying anything about cheating to superiors.

Trading for Osuna is a sign that winning matters above all else.

Not firing Taubman when the facts came out.

Coming up with press statement lying about Taubman event.

There are a lot of things that show a culture that puts winning above everything else. Some people may be fine with that. Some may call it toxic. While I don't think other front offices are angels, there are plenty of reasons Astros have the reputation they do.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  4. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I hadn’t seen this. Wow!

To me, this is 100% admittance that both the Yankees and Red Sox were doing the same. Any chance they receive similar punishments?

5. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

In my sports franchises I want it to be winning above all else. What's the alternative? Making the owner money. Which does me no good.

raining threes, RayRay10 and jklb like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Justice:

Do Luhnow & Hinch work again?

I think AJ does. He's on an apology tour. "I screwed this up. I knew it was going on & should have stopped it." Luhnow is in a different spot. There was some jealousy about him in the game. A lot of people didn't like Jeff. That'll be a tougher sell. I've been doing this a long time. AJ was the best I've ever dealt with in terms of managing personalities, players, the game and representing an organization. I can see him selling himself to another franchise easily.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

None of that is deemed toxic... not in the sports world or in business. People weren’t jumping ship... they were getting promoted/being put in charge.

half the trangressions being cited towards toxicity seem to stem from the Taubmann incident... was he even there in 2017? He certainly wasn’t in the same prominent position he was before he was let go.

jiggyfly and HatsForBats like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Link or are you gonna continue to make **** up?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Did MLB think they were going to bury this by releasing it on the morning of the NCAA championship? Poor LSU .. all anyone is still talking about today is the punishment .. lol

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not deemed toxic by you.

Not reprimanding an employee for yelling at women and then releasing a lie to the press about it isn't generally considered toxic? On business world, I'd consider businesses that cheat in a work area openly such that those not involved in scheme know about it to be toxic. Cheating happens, but to expect everyone walking by to be cool with it suggests a general lack of ethics across a business (which there are a lot of places I'd consider toxic)....I'm picky of where I work. An employee not indicating concerns to a superior is usually a sign of a toxic culture at least to me.

Not sure what timing has to do with toxic environment. The press release about Taubman incident does not get released in a non-toxic environment.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I’ve been watching and it seems to not be taking much shine from LSU. Folks care about college football more.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then they should have banned/fired him for the Taubman incident. I still think placing all the blame on Luhnow for one subordinates drunken response is far reaching/witch huntish based on deep rooted hatred for the front office from an earlier time.

Luhnow created the vast majority of his enemies in 2011-2014. Some went away when the team started having success. Others obviously held a grudge and this amplified response to everything speaks volumes.

raining threes, BigM and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If Luhnow was going to be a subordinate, I'd get that, but as the head of baseball operations, he doesn't really have to be well liked. Just takes one owner that sees how he built the Astros from nothing to take a chance on him. Being disliked didn't prevent him from signing free agents or making trades.

raining threes likes this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This sucks but don't quit on the team.

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

#259 Deuce Rings, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    htwnbandit likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I still think the Astros screwed up, should have done a Sean Payton and brought Hinch back.

I can't believe a sport that had Spit Ball pitchers and scuffers and steroids for so long gives 2 craps about sign stealing.

DD