1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This proposed deal between Minny/LA sounds pretty good for both sides....right now. But, as time goes on , and Kuzma turns into an All Star....

LA better win a title....otherwise, they will regret this move big time.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

WAS: House, Nene, Thabo, Rockets FRP

MIN: Bertrans, Tyson, Rockets SRP

HOU: Covington

3. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

I rather have a Bertans. When is the last time we had a real 3p shooting threat on this team?

Lurch and withmustard like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

You mean like Ryno, EGo or McLemore?

And Tucker is pretty damn money from corner 3 too.

waytookrzy079, Nook and ramotadab like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

No way Rosas trades Rob for Bertans and a 2nd round pick. Bertans is a bench player, not a good fit with Towns, and expiring so, likely to leave anyway, they would basically trade Covington for a 2nd round pick...that's not going to happen. I actually think they wouldn't even trade him for Bertans and a 1st rounder (unless the pick is pretty solid of course).

6. Caprah

Caprah Member

Eric Gordon?

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Caprah

Caprah Member

I can’t believe I wasted my time with that fluff stuff. The author must have been a member of the Rockets staff with those one sided nonsense scenarios

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks.

9. Nook

Nook Member

It will be very difficult for the Rockets to make a trade for Covington happen.

Had Tillman allowed Morey to take on additional salary in the Westbrook deal, it would be quite possible.

It would then come down to whether the Rockets and Timberwolves would work on a deal with the Rockets sending a couple #1 picks to Minnesota in exchange a couple expiring contracts and Robert Covington.

Covington is that good a defender.

slothy420, HP3, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you want Covington you're gonna have to trade Clint. Three-way:

Minnesota gets:
    Bogdan Bogdanovic
    Houston 2nd Rounder

Houston gets:
    Richaun Holmes
    Harry Giles
    Robert Covington

Sacramento gets:
    Clint Capela

Minnesota gets a starting shooting guard who they can sign to an extension this summer (and who's probably better than Wiggins already)

Sacramento gets solidified at the starting center position and now has a Capela-Bagley-Barnes frontcourt.

Houston loses some height but make up for it with adding a starting SF, a starting C (Holmes) to replace Capela, and a project in Giles.

xaos, BaselineFade and Deuce like this.
  11. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Can OP change the title of this thread to 'Paging Big D Morray'

Vivi likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

dang everyone's so caught up in the GARM nobody has mentioned Teague being traded in Dish lol

my how times have changed. Teague from starter now to Trae Young's backup

to this day, I'm am still baffled how Allen Crabbe got his huge contract for someone so bad at basketball

13. steddinotayto

So is Minnesota in tank mode and the Hawks trying to get the last playoff spot? Because that trade is weird.

Also, it looks like the only PG on the Wolves team is Shabazz Napier. If only we had a SG/PG player that we could have used in a trade for Covington that we didn't, y'know, sign to an extension so late into last summer......

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey: "I have a trade lined up that will net us Robert Covington."
    Fertitta: "The guy who got traded for Butler? Then why can't we just get Butler? Get me Pat Riley on the phone!"
    Morey: "Um, I'm the one who would talk to Riley, he hates me, he hates you, and he isn't giving up Butler anyway. I can get Covington, though."
    Fertitta: "I will not add to the luxury tax! How much is it gonna cost?"
    Morey: (sigh) "Goddamnit…."
    Fertitta: "'Sigh, goddamnit'? No way I'm signing off on a 'sigh, goddamnit'. Who's cheaper?"

Corrosion, D-rock and jamisonrocket like this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have no idea why Minnesota does it. They created a roster spot and saved a few million? Teague is clearly the best player in that deal. Gersson is too smart to just make that deal. Maybe some draft assets or a player not named yet.

16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

[​IMG]

17. steddinotayto

I think at the time the Nets took the high risk - high reward play in hoping that Crabbe would turn into a superstar.

His last year in Portland wasn't bad--he had a 47/44/85 shooting split playing almost 30 mpg.

Alas, he turned out to be very Crappe

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

was billy king still the gm at the time?

19. steddinotayto

Maybe Atlanta is going to start decreasing Young's minutes in an effort to both tank and preserve their PG for next season lol

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wolves have been in tank mode for weeks lol, look at their starting 5 in the last month...

Regardless, i guess the Hawks did this just to come out with the best player possible, maybe Teague (who got drafted and played for the Hawks for years) will even resign for cheap to play the backup, which would be ok for both parts. My two cents on why Minnie did this is because it lowers their salaries by half of a million, not much, but i guess they had no other deal available for Teague and they're like 8M under the tax so, this at least gives them 0.5M more in terms of flexibility.

steddinotayto likes this.