1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Studios] Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeee, first season was great -- Emily Blunt's husband is perfect in the role.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only thing is that it is only 8 episodes.......and over so fast........

DD

Uprising likes this.
  3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I get annoyed with heavily subtitled shows.

4. likestohypeguy

This is a lot of what I liked about the first season, a fish out of water element that made it so different, and K. played it perfectly. Different angle to this genre, interesting.

The second season just felt like a typical bourne/MI style action where now he's just an impossibly all round bad-ass, at everything. Some scenes were embarrassing, like turning greer and mike november into wide eyed idiots so taken aback by the sheer brashness of ryan's super aggressive interrogation techniques with the police captain. These seasoned vet. agents have never seen anything like that before! That said I watched it all in two sittings. Still good overall, just not as great as I found s1, and so many cringes.

Major and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. likestohypeguy

One thing this show accomplished, the scene with Jack at the bar, and Sen. Moreno comes in shocked, "Tequila? You're in Venezuela, drink Rum." That's the only reason I needed to get the Diplomático 12 year... aand now I learn I didn't get my canister it's supposed to come with.

[​IMG]

It's like how rewatching the sopranos suddenly has me on cold cuts and fancy olives and peppers.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1. The plot felt tighter and side plots meshed well together. I do agree that Jack Ryan felt too heroic. He's an analyst. He's not supposed to be Jack Bauer.

primtim24 and DaDakota like this.
  7. cebu

cebu Member

if you movies like "Clear and present danger".. thiis is for you. and a better actor than Harrison Ford.

8. DaDakota

Yeah, but he was a pissed off Analyst, and the only reason he is an analyst is the helicopter crash - the dude is a badass.

DD

9. Duncan McDonuts

I'm fine with him being a badass, but reading back through the thread, my impression of him in season 1 was a desk nerd that felt out of place in the field. We got more backstory in the first episode this season that he was a marine discharged with injury. But to see him go from season 1, a timid field agent, to season 2 badass that's jumping buildings and special ops teams was a stark contrast.

10. DaDakota

If you read the novels or watched "The Hunt for Red October" you would know - it is the same character.

DD

11. Duncan McDonuts

Reading is such a boomer thing.

primtim24 and Ziggy like this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

There is some solid cinematography and art direction, and generally speaking, it all works. I liked season one better than the election story in season two as there seemed to be more twists and turns. At times he seems to smart, or too on track, as if he's smelling something wrong from the get go, but it's all generally good. Killing off the special ops guy was bold, but I liked his character, so boo. We'll see where it goes from here. The agent is generally playing the role well, but every once in a while you get that office vibe instead of deep agent vibe. He does carry himself well overall.

13. DaDakota

Indeed!

DD

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I started the first episode once, stopped and always put this show off cause I could get past the Jim Halpert thing. Read the reviews in this thread and decided to give it another shot. Glad I did and on episode 5 of season 1 currently.

Overall a good watch but some scenes play out better in a book scenario than being pulled off on the show, e.g., all the times Ryan has came so close and had brushes with an important member of the terrorist group, yet they slip away, when he easily couldve have chased. Still good and look forward to finishing season one shortly.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was insane, and insanely entertaining. The "Mad Dogs" were sort of left hanging, weren't they? Too bad.

This version of Jack Ryan? Somewhere between a C and a C-. I really like the actor, but the scripts are pretty tired.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I was a little leery of John Krasinski also, however I think he did a pretty good job. Season 1 was fairly decent although that story line has been beat to death. Season 2 was completely bland and missed an opportunity to have a great story line. To me it seemed like a standard 2 hour movie dragged out over 8 episodes. Overall the writing sucks but I still enjoy the show.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

so just started late... on ep4s1.

after watching the mandalorian, it's nice to watch a series go for an hour again.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I actually like using people real language. I hate it when everybody speaks english.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It's my phone induced ADD... hard to play on the phone and read subtitles at the same time. If you're a polyglot and know the language that should be spoken then I get it, but personally not speaking more than English I'd rather they just dumb it down and simplify my viewing experience.

20. Beezy

Beezy Member

The show plays it straight but is absolutely ridiculous. Still entertaining though.

moonsh0t likes this.