1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mustang Mach E - Electric SUV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This is just a Telsa copy with the name mustang on it for marketing.

An actual electric mustang designed for performance would be badass. This ****ing family-focused SUV "mustang" beats out the V8 GT's 0-60. Call it a vegetarian soy boi car if you want, but remember which one would win in a drag race lol. Imagine what they could do if they made a real electric GT mustang.

REEKO_HTOWN, sammy and Nook like this.
  2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BTW - I don't consider anything beyond 1970 to be a true Mustang, but just one using the name.

:)

DD

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

I am a big proponent of TESLA and the associated technology, there is no question that a well made electric vehicle is extremely quick.

My issue isn't having electric cars or even electric sports cars. It is more with the fact that Mustang is very much associated with a gas powered engine. I know why they are using the "Mustang" legacy for their launch of a (SUV? Cross over vehicle) new electric vehicle. It is their "best" asset and they think it gives their entry into the electric vehicle market the best chance of success........ but man is is a really awkward fit.

sammy, CXbby and KingCheetah like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

That is the equivalent of seeing a beautiful woman walk by, and then turning and seeing she has a flat ass......... it hurts in your soul.

7. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

If Ford had made a 'shooting brake' like this Callaway Corvette or the Mustang render above I'd be fine with an electric version (or just a regular version). It's just calling a totally unrelated SUV a Mustang that's annoying -- just call it a Mach E or whatever.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree that labeling it a Mustang is awkward and weird. It's a car that is meant to compete with the model 3.

That being said, I dislike sports cars being associated with gas-powered as some sort of benchmark for being a real manly sports car. Sports cars are associated with being badass and going fast, electric cars are superior at going fast, gas engines just can't put power down to the wheels nearly as quick as electric, which is why electric cars have the best 0-60's. I also don't like feminizing progress away from gas, which is necessary for our environment and health.

I can't wait for all-electric Camaros and Mustangs, unless they purposely nerf them, they should have entry-level supercar performance for under 50k.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I think a lot of the streotyping of sports cars being gas powered went away with the technological improvements. Now that TESLA has several vehicles that can compete and usually beat any street legal vehicle. A lot of that was left over from the Prius and the idea of small and practical cars compared to fast and impractical sports cars and muscle cars.

I have driven a lot of sports and muscle cars and there are certainly differences between the older sports cars, the modern sports cars and electric cars. Some people just really like the gritty feeling of an old sports car where you can actually feel and hear the engine and issues associated with it. That is why some of the newer sports cars have had things done to them to emulate that raw feeling. Over time people will get used to electric vehicles, which by the way are now vastly superior to almost all traditional vehicles.

I also have found the association of sports cars as masculine a bit odd. I suppose when muscle and sports cars first emerged as popular, almost only men designed, worked on and drove them competitively. However by this point I know almost as many women that have intimate knowledge and experience with sports cars and muscle cars. I no longer really view it as gender specific. It is dumb, but I will say an attractive woman that really knows and loves muscle cars is incredibly sexy.

CXbby, KingCheetah and ThatBoyNick like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

0QaYmBP.jpg

Sajan likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

This is going to be the future of high performance in almost all sports cars -- just shut the engine off when you want to go eco. All that electric torque and the traditional roar when you want to go fast.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep reminds me of some videos of the Model 3 Performance whooping a bunch of fast cars in drag races.

All you have to do is punch it. No noise, all speed and no concerns of gas wasting

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Isn't Tesla's Model Y pretty much equal to or better than this thing at just about everything? Well, maybe not looks. I think the Ford does look better than the Model Y. Eh, I doubt I'll be buyin either anytime soon, so no big deal to me.

Although, the funny thing about this is that the uproar is almost as bad as when Porsche came out with an SUV or the Panamera. I despised the Panamera when it came out, but now I love that car for some reason. :D

CXbby likes this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is it a Stang tho?

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

[​IMG]

Its a knock off Tesla. And here I thought the Chinese would be the ones pulling this off.

sammy likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

With that said Ford is putting some effort behind this. They brought out Idris Elba to unveil it, and I've seen advertising already. The fact that they are using (bastardizing?) the Mustang name to try to sell this also means it will likely be more than just a compliance car to satisfy emission standards.

But I agree with you guys that they are going about this the wrong way. Either make a proper electric Mustang, or call this electric CUV something else. Marketing this the way they are is off putting to the Mustang fan, meanwhile the Tesla fan was never looking to get Mustang to begin with. The specs and price are worse across the board compared to the Model Y, not to mention the tech and software inside will be much worse. Top it off the Mach e will be made in Mexico vs Tesla in the US(which may matter to Ford buyers).

For Tesla to succeed in the long run it needs EV adoption to explode. In order for that to happen, the other automakers have to jump on board and offer compelling products (tesla can't do it all themselves). This Mach E, while clearly inferior to tesla, is one of the best products yet compared to the Bolt, bmw i3, Leaf etc. Which is why it sucks that they are botching the marketing behind it.