1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Watchmen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yep, that was pretty amazing, lol. Didn't quite nail the photorealism, but... how could you? That whole cold open with the Top Knots, funhouse mirrors, blast/mayhem was a freaking treasure. I enjoyed it lots.

The horror of Mr. Human Lie Detector Looking Glass buying in so fully to the world's biggest lie was pretty real. Not sure he'll believe anything ever again! Who can he trust? Sister Night with her obvious sneaking around outside the law? Laurie who bugged his desk and obviously doesn't like or respect him? Keene?! (lol no) May be just as well if he ends up dead. He was already all alone; his only trust was his fear and now he's once again been played for a complete fool just like in the hall of mirrors. He never STOPPED being played for a fool. Seems only fitting he may die in defiant impotence like Rorschach.

GRENDEL likes this.
  2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That episode was a masterpiece.

fallenphoenix and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All the "hard core" Watchmen fans that were triggered watching the first episode with the Tulsa massacre that dropped the series are missing out. This is the sequel they always wanted, lol.

justtxyank and GRENDEL like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

This is a badass show.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Agreed this last episode was just stellar across the board......it is funny that i keep seeing critics utterly confused by what's transpiring while admitting they have no knowledge or interest in the original story.....

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't know how anyone could follow this with no knowledge of the comic.

Tim Blake Nelson is awesome. Always has been. eta: fun fact, he's from Tulsa

#86 Buck Turgidson, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    GRENDEL and Ottomaton like this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Show keeps getting better and better.

8. GRENDEL

My thoughts exactly.....yet people are being critical of being able to follow the narrative....

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been there Sister Knight. I've been there.

10. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I was going to say that was an interesting twist on Hooded Justice, but there was never really anything written in stone about the character.

This series remains true to the spirit of the comic...in that the spirit of the comic was that it really tried way too hard to be something more than what it was. This series is actually more enjoyable than the source material; but it is getting to the point of "OK, get on with it."

The flashback episode was a step back from the previous Looking Glass episode which had to be the high point of the entire endeavor so far.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I thought ep. 6 was great. We get the entire life story of maybe the show's most mysterious character, Will (that he's got real competition for that title is saying something). We get the grim counterpoint to the American Hero Story show-within-a-show, and it includes stuff I can't ever remember seeing before, like the victim-POV lynching sequence or a gay-ish black masked avenger murdering racist NYC cops. Simultaneously thrilling and uncomfortable! Loved it.

What's better is there is still a lot I'm looking forward to this season. What is Trieu's deal? What use is Will to her? Given the latest Peteypedia entry, how will the knowledge that Angela's grandfather is Hooded Justice affect Laurie's stake in whatever's happening? What the hell is up with Veidt, and will we see any of Dr. Manhattan? There are a few more stops to hit, and this train is only picking up speed.

12. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

My God this show is so good. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are also killing it with the soundtrack. The last two episodes were simply amazing.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some have positted that Veidt is not even on earth.
    So where is he?

Rocket River

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought it was confirmed he was on one of Jupiter's moons.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. They showed he is on Europa in Episode 5.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OK. I was not sure if he was jumping out of the pocket or teleporting somewhere

Rocket River

17. Beezy

Beezy Member

Hey, my guess after episode 1 turned out right.

Ottomaton likes this.
  18. GRENDEL

Unrelated, Proof of Concept for the movie, but kind of neat......

The footage is a near-verbatim adaptation of one of the first scenes of the comic, in which Rorschach breaks into Dan Dreiberg AKA Nite Owl’s house to tell him that the Comedian has just been murdered. Ray Stevenson (Punisher: War Zone, Ray Donovan) plays Rorschach and Iain Glen (Game of Thrones) plays Dreiberg, which is captivating if for no other reason than watching two of the most grizzled actors currently working do a quiet, dramatic scene together. Also, Stevenson is comically gigantic, which adds a whole other dimension to the footage.

It’s interesting to see the beginnings of what would eventually become the 2009 Snyder film, and how the two accomplished actors decided to portray the characters. (Stevenson speaks in a normal voice and in complete sentences as Rorschach, which is in sharp contrast to the direction Jackie Earle Haley took the character in the film.) You can watch the footage for yourself below. For more on Watchmen, check out our guide to every question we have after this week’s episode “This Extraordinary Being.”

https://collider.com/watchmen-test-footage-unproduced-movie/

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Elaborate

20. omgTHEpotential

All these posts make me want to pick this show up again. The first episode didn't really grab my attention.