1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey a “Tenuous Fit” with Tilman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source is ESPN/Kevin Arnovitz

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-alone-at-nba-gm-mean-girls-cafeteria.302265/

Though a couple of NBA executives speculated Morey might have greater difficulty attracting marquee free agents to Houston, few said that his ability to perform his job would be affected beyond having to placate Fertitta, a shotgun marriage that sources close to the Rockets have considered a tenuous fit since Fertitta bought the team in 2017.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. JackLordsHair66

Agree, kind of surprised it hasn’t happened and if we flounder/fail in the playoffs I could see him pulling the trigger or giving Morey the out to resign.

Tillman isn’t likely to bring a championship to Houston. Just my personal observation, would love to be wrong, but the guy is all about the show (his mouth)!and not so much the follow through as far as I’m concerned

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Source of this article is that other article".

lol. Gotta love when you can make 10 stories out of 1 story. :D

raining threes and Gray_Jay like this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As the franchisee, FT has the right to do as he pleases. As fans, so do we.

If TF and DM the GM divorceAND TF then hires an acknowledged professional, so be it. If, however, sonny gets the gig then hasty lavista and all that jazz, except for Utah, that is.

HP3 and Jontro like this.
  5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

That article says absolutely nothing.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , there's a difference between hiring a competent professional and putting the kiddo in charge.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think Tillman is misunderstood... People think he's about winning (bc thats what his lip service is all about) but in reality he's about making money - period.

Morey otoh is about finding ways to circumvent the cap and trade rules and whatever to spend whatever he can to win it all.

They are not compatible.

I bet many of ya never thought you'd see the day when you'd be missing Les... lol

Hopefully at this point people are starting to realize that Les was a good owner... he wasnt gonna waste money overpaying middle of the road players - but he'd spend when we were contenders. Not defending him taking the trophies - but dude was a good owner... aside from the occasional wasted roster spot that was spent to court the overseas markets...

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Rockets Owner:

[​IMG]

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm not worried about Morey v. Tilman. I'm worried about the picks the Rockets traded away for Westbrook. Two picks and a swap from 2024-26, after Harden and Westbrook are past their prime, and possibly gone. Harden, Westbrook, and Morey are gonna live it up for a few years. Then we lose our stars and our picks.

Who knows if Morey is around for that. The rest of us will be left holding the bag. Does Tilman, having mortgaged the future, intend to sell the team by then?

raining threes, kjayp and Easy like this.
  10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

My response to the 'Le$ was better' point, is that Les didn't want to spend either. He went over the tax, what? Twice in 20 some odd years? He wasn't a Sarver, but he was a ways from Cuban. And Les would've fired Morey already for screwing up his PRC business interests with that tweet. Which Morey would've known, so I doubt he'd have tweeted it.

OTOH, did Les constantly run his mouth about how t'hings were going to be different now', 'we'd have our pick of FAs,' et cetera, et f;*king cetera?

I'd think it more likely that Morey lasts 6 months than 6 years. Can't can him quite yet, not with the tweet still in people's minds. The NBA would prefer it not be quite so obviously how desperate they are to court Chinese capital.

GermanRoxFan and kjayp like this.
  11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m two seconds away from saying **** it

T.MAC likes this.
  12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I suspect not. Harden isn't leaving. Morey well might. Either on his own..or with a little assistance.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd say Les was frugal - but Tilman is cheap.... and then you add the whole running of the mouth to things...

as much as Morey might not have been 100% in agreement with Les (tanking vs staying competitive...) I think Morey would rather be dealing with Les than Tilman... imo.... but i could be wrong...

I dont see DM being around more than another year or two. His options may be limited right now due to backlash from the HK thing so I think he will bide his time... but someone is gonna come along that's gonna give him the opportunity to get out from under - and he'll be gone... but, again, I could be wrong... lol

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Tilman just mad Morey made him lose some pocket change

I bet Tilman can't wait to find another excuse to fire Morey by the end of this season so he can pass the GM job to one of his kids

DirtyDizzil likes this.
  15. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Tillman rubs me the wrong way, not a sexual way

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I bet he wishes he had taken the job in Philly …. rather than dealing with Tilman and the luxury tax issues.

kjayp and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You think Harden won't retire over age 40? I think he loves to play so much and there will be sports medicine advancements to help extend careers that Harden stick around the league for much longer.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Which is funny because Morey would have been forced out the league the way Hinkie did. Can't be tanking Astros-style on one of the largest markets if Silver's got anything to do with it.

Despite Les's penny pinching, Morey did decide to stay with the Rockets and just work around the luxury tax while also trying to field competitive teams. It will be telling what happens after this season. Won't surprise me if "mutually parted ways" is uttered.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Les wouldn’t commit over the cap until Chris Paul, but at least he’d buy SRP on Murray’s advice for several years when they were great values.

Tilfart won’t even chance things mid season if it’ll break the bank...

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When Morey traded those picks for Russ, I knew the writing was on the wall. I would be surprised if he is still with the team after this season. He’s just not built for an owner like Fertitta. The main thing keeping Morey here is to see out his legacy which will be James Harden. He wants to see James win at the highest level before he moves onto his next endeavor.

Richie_Rich and pippendagimp like this.