1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. raining threes

When has Alvarez ever been hurt playing the field?

He's 21 yrs old with very little injury history.

No Worries likes this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d like to see Houston trade for Jon Gray if he is made available. Seems like the most likely guy to be able to turn into another Cole. Matt Boyd is another option.

4. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Am I the only one who doesn't want to trade away Carlos Correa?

The Beard, Smacktle, BMoney and 8 others like this.
  5. AstrosRockets1818

I dont. He's the biggest Astros fan on the team.

elrond, lnchan and The Real Shady like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He banged up his knee earlier during the callup.

In general, its easier to find a OF who can play decent defense and be an average hitter... vs. an elite DH who may or may not injure himself playing a below average OF.

Him playing in the OF only serves as a luxury in case Hinch needs to give others a day off or let them DH. Otherwise, the team really doesn't gain that much by having him play the field... unless there's somebody even better than him ready to DH.

BMoney likes this.
  7. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

lol Where is the Rendon talk coming from, You know he getting paid gooood money and astros is not the team, stop it

Smacktle, raj87, H-Town Info and 4 others like this.
  8. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

And he will be projecting to make less than 10M (I think his projected arbitration number is around 7M) next year. Let’s ride with him until his FA time. Replacing Correa with Rendon sounds like a wishful thinking to me. Rendon allegedly turn down 7/210M from Nats. Scott Boras doesn’t believe in hometown discount, does he? My #1 wish for this offseason is to get Springer to sign an extension. Then a CFM/Miley type signing.

IowaAstro likes this.
  9. tx2005

tx2005 Member

I’m assuming the Correa trade talk comes from people irritated with his injury history and his overall postseason performance this year doesn’t help.

Personally, I don’t see how we end up improved with a Correa trade. Rendon is a pipe dream salary wise. Sure maybe we get a basket of prospects for Correa, but I’m not sure how much teams are willing to put up for a guy who hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Diaz would be the replacement for now, which is definitely a drop off.

In any case, I think Correa is part of this core and will play a role is keeping the window open over the next couple seasons. We have a SS that can be great, if not elite, when healthy for affordable salary at this time. Yes, we probably lose him to FA after 2021, but unless he has another MVP type year in 2020 with minimal injuries, I’m not sure we get enough from trading him to make it worth losing him early.

Also, the Zach Wheeler talk is intriguing, but I think the salary may be a bit too high for what the team is able to spend this off season.

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

The offense (despite being historically one of the best of all time) sucked and the 8th and 9th hitters aren't very good. Need dem dingers!

I do want them to try Zach Wheeler. It also means one less pitcher the Yanks can obtain.

lw17 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I asked around what the Astros will do and unlike last year after the loss to Boston, they are not dead set on a single path.

The front office believes that they ran into bad luck in the post season, specifically against the Nationals and will that series the vast majority of the time.
    Still there were concerns voiced in the dugout for some of the situational hitting and also the long term availability of Correa. Also there are those in the front office that believe that Verlander and Cole were over pitched and their innings should have been cut more.

The Astros have no reached out to Cole since he is a free agent and discussed what if anything will happen there. The issue isn't the amount Cole will make per season, it is the length of the contract that concerns the front office and ownership.

They love Chirinos but think he will need to catch less next year if he is back, and think it hurt his bat some in the second half.

Young players will be pushed into important spots for payroll purposes, more so for a few years from now, than this upcoming seasons finances.

The Astros are open to improving their offense, targeting players with high batting averages (odd).

As for my hunches or opinions.....

I think the Astros off season can go a lot of different ways depending on what opportunities are available and at what cost.

I think the vast majority of the Astros free agents will be gone and only be resigned if they do so at below market deals.

Cole, Harris, Smith, Rondon, Maldonado, Chirinos, Miley, McHugh are all or mostly gone IMO. I could see the Astros paying close to the going rate for Harris but I think the others only comeback at below expected market costs.

Marisnick I believe is trades and Sanchez is only back for the minimum on a two year deal if at all.

I believe some of the bullpen issues will be addressed internally and then target players like Brandon Marrow, Drew Pomeranz and Jake Dikeman to see if they can get one or more at a solid price.

I think the Astros will be aggressive on the catching front, especially if Chirinos gets surprising offers. Catching is one of the only spots that the Astros can make clear improvement at offensively. Right field is the other, but Tucker has earned the right to the job.

I think in the rotation the Astros will go after Zach Wheeler and offer an amount that surprised Astros fans. If they fail to get him, I could see them target guys like Odorizzi, Michael Pineda, Homer Bailey or Rick Porcello.

Also as odd as it sounds I think we will see the Astros work Tucker out in center field, Alvarez in the outfield and the Astros will reach out on Nelson Cruz to see what his trade costs would be. I know for a fact the Astros front office was not happy with the line up at the bottom of the order at various parts of this season....... why I believe Reddick will be gone, they could target a top hitting catcher and see if Alvarez can split time in the field.

12. Screaming Fist

I think the cat is out of the bag on Boyd so I don't see him being moved unless it's for an exorbitant return. I think Kyle Gibson is someone they might target.

lw17 likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He literally said the World Series Win was bittersweet because it wasn’t a World Series won for him and his hometown team. He referenced a win with the Astros as topping that. It’s pretty honest.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Catchers who hit over .270 last year who might be available:
    Christian Vasquez
    Wilson Ramos
    Omar Narvaez
    James McCann
    Tom Murphy

I’d also like Willians Astudillo as a backup.

Based on Nook’s post, a solid realistic offseason might look something like:

Trade Reddick and Marisnick for prospects or just salary relief.

Resign Harris and Chirinos.

Trade for a catcher who hits for a high average.

Sign Zack Wheeler and Drew Pomeranz.

Resulting roster:
    CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    C Narvaez
    Bench: Chirinos, Diaz, Straw, Toro
    Rotation: Verlander, Greinke, Wheeler, McCullers, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Biagini, Devenski, Abreu, James, Pomeranz, Harris, Pressly, Osuna

I really like that roster. Not quite as good as the one they ended the season with but there are no holes anywhere on that roster and there are quite a few young guys who could level up.

#134 Snake Diggit, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  15. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Good thoughts. I'm really hoping Whitley cracks the rotation at some point next year.

raining threes and lw17 like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Don't see the Mariners trading their catcher to the Astros and you forgot Peacock.

The more I think about it I think we will need rotation depth with McCullers coming back from TJ surgery, Verlander being overused, and having a young guy like Urquidy in the rotation. It makes me think the Astros will try to bring back Sanchez on a team friendly deal.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good catch on Peacock. He and all the AAA depth (Whitley, Bielak, Ivey, Framber, Perez, Javier) serve as solid insurance for Urquidy and McCullers in the back of the rotation; James and Abreu could also probably be stretched out. They just need to make sure they get somebody they feel good about starting Game 3 in a playoff series.

Sanchez is hurt and is unlikely to pitch at all next year.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

"It's going to be a while," Sanchez said. "I could come back mid-next year is kind of what (the doctor) said .... I'll definitely miss the first part of next year but I will pitch next year."

If he will take a cheap 1 year deal with possible incentives if he comes back and a team option for a 2nd year I would try that. He's only 27. If he comes back and we pick up that 2nd year option he would be 29 like Cole when he hits free agency. He would be stupid not to take that deal considering the Astros history of turning pitchers into studs.

Nook likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Beltran to Mets.

Athletic suggests a return of Jason Castro.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Sign Rendon, move Bregs to short, move to Correa to the IL