1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crutchfans: Positive vibes thread for the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htwnbandit, Oct 31, 2019.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Whenever one of our teams goes through a big choke job or has a bad loss, I always come on Clutchfans as a "crutch" for my sports related depression and I don't feel so isolated in my exasperated ways.

Anyone got any general positive vibes? I'll start:

This team will still seriously compete next year unlike a lot of recent WS winners (Royals, Cubs, Red Sox, maybe Nationals)

And, of course, the one thing that I've held on to the past 18-ish hours since Game 7 ended:

No matter what happened, happens or will happen, nothing will ever take away that '17 ring and the memories that came along with it.

Also being to the Yankees what the Warriors were to the Rockets and having their fanbase hate us is a big bonus.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I'll play along.

To piggyback off your first point, the Astros are still set up beautifully for the future. This loss hurts, but I'd bet about 30 teams would switch positions with us in a heartbeat. Maybe 31 teams, honestly. We have no long-term "bad" contracts. In addition to an (obviously) solid major league club, our farm system is still strong and arguably healthier than most WS contenders moving forward. That, plus I'll take Luhnow and co. drafting over any other front office. We are the creme de la creme of organizations in sports. Everyone is trying to emulate us.

lw17 and Marteen like this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

On the positive side, it's been an enormous pleasure watching this team the last three seasons. I will never forget this stretch of great baseball we've been able to watch. So much fun. Unfortunately I think our window starts closing after next season when that core of Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Springer might get broken up.

phasors28, awc713 and htwnbandit like this.
  4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Marteen likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's a free agent now. He apparently turned down 7 years $215m from the Nats already. No way we could sign him not only due to money but due to Bregman being at third.

htwnbandit likes this.
  6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Damn you're right... surely he can learn to catch a ball or play outfield? lol:D

7. Swack

Swack Member

htwnbandit and lw17 like this.
  8. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

While it's hard to expect all of the core to stay intact, I do hope many of them stays Astros and decades from now can looked with reverence like the Core 4.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. solid

solid Contributing Member

There are good seasons ahead, but you don't get many shots at the World Series. It is like the Super Bowl or the NBA championship, most teams never even get close. I think the Astros will "tweak" their lineup and be competitive for many years to come.

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I'm also hearing things like we could ship CC since he's a bit injury prone and move Breg to SS and go all in on Rendon.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I support this team always

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where are these reports other than in this forum?

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

My bad, didn't mean reports. Just general discussion.

14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I mean, I’d take Rendon and Bregman over Correa and Bregman and wouldn’t think twice about it. However, I don’t know if I actually see them trading Correa and then paying what it would take to get Rendon.

If the main reason for trading CC is his injury history, then how much are you gonna get back for him since whatever team is trading for him would also have legitimate reason to be concerned about his injury history?

Also, you’d have to trade CC before signing Rendon. Which would require knowing in advance that you were gonna get a Rendon. You’d need to move CC first because if you sign Rendon while CC is still on the roster then you’ve lost any leverage with another team when negotiating a trade for CC.

Once again, I think all of us would take Rendon/Bregman over Correa/Bregman, but I just don’t see it happening.

HTown2017Champs and htwnbandit like this.