1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about the Off-Season here. Signings will get there own threads, but all discussion should go in here.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Here's to a great offseason that brings back the title in 2020.

gatsby, itzIce, AznH-TownFan and 7 others like this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Due to the loss I haven't even slept yet. I've felt just about every emotion there is. I have a couple things to say.

Having home field advantage and losing all four games at home feels worse than getting swept in 2005.

And not scoring any runs with RISP is the reason the Astros lost the series.

Congrats to the Nationals on winning their first World Series.

Now for the Astros offseason. All I have to say is winning the World Series would've softened the blow of losing Cole.

Kornel87, everyday eddie and jklb like this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

VERY proud of the 2019 Astros. Tough ending but such is life with October baseball. Just goes to show how much luck is truly required to win it all. It’s not just talent. Hell, the Dodgers were bounced in the DS. We still won the AL pennant. There’s a LOT to be proud of, even though it seems hard right now to see the positives.

They’ve earned some time off. I hope we come back hungrier than ever. I’m really excited for 2020 and beyond. Go Stros!!

I’ll ride with our core, with our front office, with our manager and owner till I die. Screw the haters. Screw the slanted national media who wanted us to lose. Screw the bandwagon fans who jump ship. We will be back.

5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Cole is clearly gone but what about Harris, Smith and Chirinos? Would love to go after Grandal for the regular catching duties and bring back Chirinos as JV's personal catcher and backup.

Resign one of Harris/Smith. Everybody else (Devo, Rondon, Machete, Miley) can walk.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

any solid hitting catchers available

7. tx2005

tx2005 Member

The Astros have no reason to hang their heads. What a hell of a season. It was a joy to watch.

As somebody has already mentioned, October baseball doesn't always have much to do with who has the most talent or who had the best record, as evidenced by the Dodgers in '17 and this year when they got knocked out in the NLDS. I'm just happy we are continuing to compete, and I hope Luhnow continues to make moves that keep us competitive for years to come.

awc713 likes this.
  8. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Go get Thor

raining threes and awc713 like this.
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Should we have a separate Astros awards thread or leave that in this discussion?

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here's my wish list:

Slap the qualifying offer on Cole

Trade Reddick plus prospects to dump Reddick's salary (13 million)
    Trade Michael Brantley (16 million)
    Trade Jake Marisnick (3 million)
    Trade Peacock (4 million)
    Non-tender Sanchez (5.6 million)

Trade for Trey Mancini
    Sign Zach Wheeler (4 years 68 million)
    Sign Yasmani Grandal (4 years 60 million)
    Resign Will Harris (2 years 17 million)
    Resign Maldonado (2 years 5 million)

CF Springer
    2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Gurriel
    C Grandal
    LF Mancini
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker

Bench:
    Maldonado
    Diaz
    Straw
    Toro

Rotation:
    Verlander
    Greinke
    Wheeler
    McCullers
    Urquidy

Bullpen:
    Osuna
    Pressly
    Harris
    James
    Abreu
    Devenski
    Biagini
    Sneed/Martes/Perez/Valdez/Armenteros

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Right!!! This is a great team, great owner, gm, great manager. Nationals really had something to prove. This was already in the books all along. Some of those momentum breakers (calls by the umps) are questionable. On both sides to take it to 7 games. I’m glad we were in it. This is still a dynasty... we’re gonna find another gear.

lw17 and awc713 like this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

I think we should (and will) hold onto Brantley. I’d be surprised if we trade him, but will obviously have to look at all the moves together. He’s the type of hitter we need. He’s a bit pricey but worth it IMO. He’s not *that* expensive that we can’t afford him.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Is everyone presuming that C. Mchugh and A. Sanchez won't be back next year?

15. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

We beat the Yankees again. Anytime we cause them angst, I'm a happy camper!

16. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

No question it was a tough way to go out but the Nationals felt like a team of destiny the way we did in '17. Though we can't forget, I think they actually had the best record since after the All Star break, or something like that. But unlike many other teams that have won it and almost immediately fell off the wagon (Royals, Cubs, Yankees, Cards, Giants after '14, possibly the Red Sox and these Nationals) we've been right in the thick of things with 3 straight 100 win seasons and the same core going into next year, and we should be in it again for 2020. But right now, the loss hurts especially for guys like Cole, Greinke, Brantley, Chirinos, Osuna and so on.

JazzLakerHater and jim1961 like this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

Fix the bullpen, replace Cole, find a way to upgrade the positions held by Reddick and Marisnick

lw17, texans1095 and jklb like this.
  19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm not harsh on the offense as others to where the Astros NEED to spend money/trade for an elite hitter. They'll still one of the best offenses in the league. They just need to fix their approach against power pitchers since that's what seems to be the achilles heel since last month.

Definitely need a solid workhorse pitcher to replace Cole's IPs. Verlander and Greinke will be a year older and Urquidy/Mccullers/Whitley have yet to pitch a full season.

Relief arms can always be found. Will be nice to resign Will Harris, but won't shed a tear if he decides to leave. Would I like a better closer than Osuna with less baggage and chest pain for fans? Sure, but good luck finding that. The current crop of closers just aren't as dominant as they were in years past.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's not that I don't like Brantley. However, I feel we were lucky he stayed healthy the whole season and we would be selling high with only 1 year left on his contract. I would rather have Zach Wheeler and Trey Mancini for the same money instead of Brantley, Marisnick, and Peacock.