1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think it's more about the Astros at this point and whether they want to pay him what he's worth.

I didn't see this in context, but I read this more as a half-joking way to avoid talking about a painful loss. I think he will take the best offer. If there are comparable offers he'll look at the rest of the situation. If the Astros make him the best offer, I think he would come back.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m adjusting my odds of Houston signing Cole down to 0%.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They shouldn't even go after Cole at this point. They need to aggressively go after the pitchers they want and think they can acquire if he's taking too long to make up his mind.

#843 The Real Shady, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    texans1095 and lw17 like this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

where do you think he goes? At this point I’m hoping the padres blow him away...then LAD/LAA...and would hate to see him go to NYY

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. The Real Shady

Good thing about the Angels having Trout and Cole is that their contracts would almost take up half of their cap to the luxory tax. Hard to win with that much it two guys.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Cole was never coming back and we almost assuredly couldn’t come up with the money even if he wanted to.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow. I know he's reeling after the loss but that's tough.

I wonder if he's pissed that he didn't get to come in?

The more I think about not giving him that chance to shut the door the harder it is, AJ should be feeling sick rn.

lw17 likes this.
  8. lw17

lw17 Member

Especially when you put on a baseball cap with your agents logo and say "I'm ready to sign for some big bucks and BTW these guys around me aren't my team anymore"...............

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Just about makes me want to think. Go enjoy your future Tommy John. Dude would not be signing this big fat one if Brent Strom hadn't turned him into a beast. So that should at least get you to wear your damn hat for the night and be there with your team.

Shark44, lw17 and The Real Shady like this.
  10. Handles

Handles Member

Our pitching is going to be fine. LMJ, Urquidy, verlander, Greinke, a prospect in Whitley.

After this WS it’s pretty clear to me we need bats. I’d offer a huge contract to Rendon. See what you can get for Correa (1B or C?) and slot Bregman at short.

But our owner probably ain’t gonna do that.

#850 Handles, Oct 31, 2019
  11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I think we have bats. What we don't have is a stable psychology in their minds. Lot of batting talent that fell woefully short. Coach? Bad approach? What happened to them?

lw17 likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

west coast teams (LAA, LAD, SDP) have to be the overwhelming favorites. Surely NYY and PHI will be able to offer a ton of money. Always darkhorses as well.

13. The Real Shady

He went from an above average pitcher to the best in baseball thanks to the Astros and their analytics department. I would say that at his prior level he would have gotten a contract worth around $100 million, and now he'll probably get $250 million. He should be very thankful for the Astros coaching and analytics which allowed him to reach his full potential. Now he doesn't want to say he's part of the team after a loss? I'm sure he would have been part of the team if they won.

14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Yea. Pretty big douche bag move in my opinion. With one stroke he turned into a stinky queef

Snake Diggit and lw17 like this.
  15. tx2005

tx2005 Member

The hat really rubbed me the wrong way. It makes it seem much more deliberate and planned out vs just making some heated in the moment comments right after a devastating loss. I doubt Cole walks around with a Boras hat on regular day, so I have to imagine he planned on doing that no matter what.

I'm not mad he's leaving. I get he wants to get paid and possibly go home, but at least have some respect for your teammates and the organization that got you to an elite level. I had every intention to root for him sans him signing with the Yankees, but now I could care less.

#855 tx2005, Oct 31, 2019
    HTown2017Champs, jklb and lw17 like this.
  16. tx2005

tx2005 Member

It sounds like everybody is assuming Angels, Dodgers, Padres, or Yankees. I could see the Angels or Padres overpaying, but if he wants to have a shot at a title, the Dodgers and Yankees have to be in the mix. I wouldn't count out the Yankees if they are willing to open their pocket book. They need starting pitching.

17. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Even if he knows he's on his way out the door he should have given a dipolomatic response like "I need to take time to decompress after a tough loss...etc" . HIs response was plain douchebaggery.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Two years of building up a fan base pissed away in one night with intentional decisions. congrats butt nugget.

19. TedR

TedR Member

I don't get it- I can certainly see him going West Coast, but if he doesn't go there, and he wants to compete for championships, and we make him a very competitive offer, why wouldn't he just stay here instead of going to New York or Philadelphia? BTW- not a big fan of him wearing the Boras cap after the game...considering that the Astros have had a lot to do with him getting a chance to get the richest pitching contract ever...also, is it true that his employment with the Astros ended last night? I mean I know he's gone, but technically, is he no longer a member of the team?

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Season ended with the last out call. So yea. He is unemployed as is Harris, Chirinos, Maldy, others. Bet they wore their Astro caps.