1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jcf

jcf Member

My guess: his opinion may have been more that she has been a pain in the organization's backside than any sentiment of "I support domestic violence."

pantherheat1022 and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Then he should have said she was a pain in the backside, and not yelled to a woman Thank God we acquired a guy that hit a woman, allegedly.

Nook and msn like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t know if the situation on her end is as clear cut as you’re making it out to be. I’m mostly referring to her posting the woman’s hotline phone number every time Osuna pitches. It may or may not be disingenuous, but I can’t be the judge of that. Certainly if she’s using this scenario as some kind of means to further her career, that’d be bad, but I don’t think we’re that far along in details yet.

Right now it looks like a spat between 2 people that’s been overblown.

fiersdownbelow, jiggyfly and jcf like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

By deleting the tweets, it seems she's trying to downplay her role in this incident.

"Look at that big, bad man yell at me for no apparent reason."

You know.... basic "innocent role / victim role" often perpetuated by that gender.

I'm not saying she did anything particularly wrong either, prior to the situation. She overreacted afterwards though, because she's a "victim".

#404 Houstunna, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Bearded13 and fiersdownbelow like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What does furthering her career make what she is doing wrong if that is her motivation? There is nothing wrong with being against DV. If Astros didn't want support against DV rubbed in their face, they shouldn't have acquired Osuna and rubbed it in the faces of DV victims that watch Astros games when Osuna saves a game.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I already said I don’t have a problem with her tweets.

The poster I was replying to said she was using this scenario(and I’m assuming scenario, as this whole thing including Taubman) as some kind of means to further her career. I don’t know if that’s the case or not.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

He didn;t say Thank God we acquired a guy that hit a woman. He said Thank god we acquired Robert Osuna. Those aren't the same thing unless you define Robert Osuna by one bad act he maybe (probably) did in his twenties

jcf likes this.
  8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I finally realized that he was exclaiming "Thank God we acquired Osuna" because him blowing the save allowed Altuve's big hero moment.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The only reason for Taubman to use Osuna's name to taunt her is because she tweeted DV every time Osuna pitched. So while one act (granted most people that commit DV do it multiple times even if they are only caught once) doesn't define a man, in the context Osuna's name was used, it was about that act. So for what Taubman yelled at her, that was the meaning of his words. One can say that wasn't his intent, but if one yells about Osuna to a person who doesn't support Osuna because he hit a woman, that is what is reasonably understood to be the meaning.

So, yes, he, a man, yelled repeatedly to a woman that he was thankful they acquired a man that hit a woman.

P.S., It is not hard not to hit women and children. If a person doesn't want their name to be synonymous with DV, don't hit women and children.

Nook and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. tallanvor

These assertions are moronic. Hes not thankful they acquired a man that hit a woman, hes thankful they acquired a man despite the fact he hit a woman. You are claiming hes thankful they acquired Osuna because he hit a woman which is silly and dumb.

Not saying I agree with the guy, just that your opinions are ridiculously incorrect.

fiersdownbelow, jcf and Houstunna like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, I'm asserting he used "Osuna" in that context because Osuna hit a woman. Why didn't he yell he was thankful they had Altuve, the guy that hit the winning homer? Altuve doesn't make a good taunt because he didn't hit a woman.

If you don't believe Taubman used Osuna's name because of its association with DV, you are in serious denial.

Nook likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're trying too hard. Alyson Footer used her platform with MLB to continually troll Osuna and the Astros which should have gotten her fired. It finally blew up in her face when Taubman acted like a frat boy. Then her buddies in the media intentionally created a misleading story by completely omitting Footer's role and the proper context of the story. Taubman will rightfully get reprimanded, possibly even fired and will also get the DV scarlet letter by the social media lynch mob that never got the full story while Footer goes back to delete the evidence of her involvement and leverages her media relationships to keep her name and her behavior out of the story. When people talk about the fake news media this is exactly what they're talking about.

13. tallanvor

Because the reporter wasn't trying to deride Altuve. If she was, he would. The guy was trying to support his player (friend?), despite him having beat his wife, from a reporter who antagonizes Osuna.

Again not saying I think what the guy did was correct.

#413 tallanvor, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    jcf and RustyHarden like this.
  14. jcf

jcf Member

It is kind of sad that you need to qualify your statement with "I don't agree with domestic violence", but I understand why you need to. I would think that would be implicit.

Edit: I see you meant Taubman. My error.

15. Major

Major Member

LOL. So the new defense is that he *was* taunting her but it was justified? That makes the Astros look even worse for flat out lying in their press release.

Nook likes this.
  16. PhiSlammaJamma

It sounds like she consistently taunted Osuna and the Astros. And that is what created the tension.

jcf likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not a defense, it's what actually happened.

jcf likes this.
  18. prospecthugger

Maybe she deleted her tweets to help protect her anonymity in this story, because there are a ton of assholes out there that will try to make her life a living hell because another reporter wrote a story about her being yelled at while she's doing her job? Or maybe the tweets were deleted a long time ago for unrelated reasons. Or maybe it wasn't even her, and y'all are making much ado about nothing.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m sure others have mentioned it , but I’m not going to read this whole thread, by far the funniest / best part of the article was the “including one wearing a purple domestic-violence awareness bracelet.”

Like was he supposed to know ?