1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sometimes mediocre teams beat good teams

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes.....1st round picks cap number goes up every year. Also, the signing bonus of the new contract does hit when he signs it and is spread out.

The contract itself started in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (6 years).

3. Mr. Clutch

It'll be interesting to see how they structure it. They should both get at least a moderate bump

4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

you define 4.2 million contract for 1 year a big contract?

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

so if everyone was pissy the whole time, we would be 3 time superbowl champs?

jcf likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a guy who is an OK special teams only player, yes. Cost of replacing what he does with someone else is significanty lower.

Nook and Nimo like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I can't really consider a one year deal for a team that is under the cap after the deal as a big contract.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Don't forget the Texans are also paying half of clowneys salary

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And both come off the books after the season.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well of course that's way too extreme, but i would like to believe if there were more fans that were actually gung ho about wanting to change the team's approach to the game we would actually do better.

If majority of the fans are like scarface or heynow, Texans aren't ever gonna bother to even try to improve dramatically, just dicking away player's career for easy bucks.

Most the fans the way it is now, Texans r just making money and people r celebrating just for making it into the playoffs.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Working hard, getting better every year Brian.

Wait what?

13. Mr. Clutch

I honestly wonder if there are off the field issues. He was a highly touted first rounder.

Looks like one of the many first round busts Morey has traded for and never pans out

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Since your Football knowledge is lacking, let me educate you. Jan 2018, Raiders hire Gruden as coach and change their defensive philosophy. Conley was drafted for a different coverage type (man to man) than what the Raiders are doing under Gruden. Hence, his ratings drop. The Texans' defensive philosophy is geared more to what Conley excels at. So, instead of being a SMART ASS and spewing out hate because u Hate Bill O'Brien...maybe you should actually inform yourself on the reasoning.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He was drafted by the coach before Gruden got there, under a different defensive philosophy. There were no issues, just not Gruden's type of player...sort of like Mack.

16. Mr. Clutch

Coaching philosophy won't make a good player suck that bad

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Jared Goff says "Hello, hold my beer...".
    Nick Foles says "Hello, hold my beer too".
    Kareem Jackson says "Wait, I need a beer too". (I hope you saw Kareem as a rookie before Wade Phillips got here).
    There are many others......

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U right like how watson looks like hot garbage sometime under BoB in some games and like a god in others. BoB coaching philosophy seems to change every week, hence the inconsistent offense power. In one game we have tight ends, the next they disappear

red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....Watson, from the start, has looked like a Solid QB. Young QBs have bad games. He has had way more good to great games than a hand full of bad ones. I can think of 4 really bad games out of the 30 he has played. Nice try though.

You can’t even come close to comparing Watson under O’Brien. Watson looked like Mahomes last season his first 6 games starting for O’Brien. Watson has done nothing but get better. I know your hate for BOB is strong, but you need to find another argument.

Goff was a bust...lost his first year under Jeff Fisher. McVay changed that.

Foles was TERRIBLE under Fisher, until Andy Reid and Doug Pederson got a hold of him.

Kareem was the worst 1st CB we’ve ever seen his first year. Looked like a different person under Wade.

20. Mr. Clutch

Except Conley was good at first and has steadily gotten worse