1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inside the NBA Guys Discuss the Recent China and NBA News

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Oct 22, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, haha, Charles would... definitely not follow the rules and he'd be gone, it'd be great, especially if it brought more attention to this. Some of the players might not know everything, but they have a lot of influence so people can educate themselves on it. Like what's insane is Morey's simple tweet did more to bring attention to China/HK then all of the other news on it. I mean this isn't some new subject, it's amazing what the power of a tweet did to stir China up.

Education = Power and the more people know, the better things will be.

tinman likes this.
  2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Chinese logic: Yo we're communists who aren't allowed to have opinions so the rest of the world must be communists who aren't allowed to have opinions too, "they should just shut up and take it."

Oh and if one random person halfway across the world thumbs out a freaking tweet disagreeing with said Chinese logic, we'll have our government impose a full-fledged boycott against our alleged favorite sport despite what individual fans may want.

vlaurelio, CCity Zero, tinman and 3 others like this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if having an opinion equates to peeing

what does violating one's human rights equate to?

CCity Zero, tinman and clos4life like this.
  4. WNBA

WNBA Member

violating one's human rights equate to cops break in and kill people who are sitting in their living room, or answering a knock on the door or at grandma's balcony..

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. 34to11

34to11 Member

Gotta admit it's kinda funny that you are trying figuratively AND literally try to turn this thread into a pissing contest.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You see, you can do that in the USA. We criticize our on government (national, state, and local) for screw-ups and disagreements all the time. Our federal government went crazy and killed protesters at Kent State, but our history books don't wipe that clean. I'm not arguing that freedom of religious and political dissent would work better for China - that's an experiment that doesn't exist in this world. I am arguing that China's system is highly correlated with having a lot of easily offended single-minded snowflakes who rarely criticize their own government, for better or for worse.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Charles is angry that he tweeted before the NBA people went to China. So basically what he is saying to everyone is that he fears the Chinese government will do something unjust to them on their territory. So essentially what he is saying is China doesn't believe in free speech. Way to go Chuck, way to insult China.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are right and we can get mad about it
    But nobody is going to cancel my NBA league pass if the police don’t like my posts on Clutchfans

But yeah enjoy not watching the NBA. The United States government doesn’t control my right to watch basketball regardless of anyone’s opinion.

#68 tinman, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    D-rock and Kim like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

these people are hypocrites
    You can’t say you hate America when you are walking around in Levi’s jeans and a Kobe jersey getting all mad about Hong Kong
    A situation Daryl Morey didn’t start but somehow you made him a culprit

napalm06 and vlaurelio like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

There's a statue of Marbury in China

that should tell you all you need to know about their basketball league

No thanks, I'm sticking to the NBA

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. iXnal

iXnal Member

Firstly, The freedom of speech is not a right defined or designed by US constitution, the US constitution only states that congress should make no law abridging the freedom of speech. The freedom of speech is a natural right which human are born with, and it's a common sense that people can say whatever they want at any time under any circumstance. The constitution doesn't assure that people don't need to undertake the consequences for what they said. In the actual implementation of the law, the most important thing is what the speech is about, is it just about expressing personal perspective or just describing facts. When it's about expressing personal perspective, since there is no absolutely correctness while considering different cultures and values, people can criticize or support government or any celebrity without fearing being punished just in law. But when it's about describing fact, everyone should take the responsibility in law for what they said, because spreading fake fact will cause real damage to specific person or unit. I never denied these fact.

Back to what I said, the social platform are designed for social purpose, it began to have some media property only because it was used by some unit or person for media purpose, it doesn't mean whoever are using the social platform is for media purpose. Of cause it's not proper when I said "the problem is social media make ...", but I also don't agree it's a longstanding problem with public perception by society. Back to the period that social media didn't exist, people did have clearly perception about the boundary between public scenario and private scenario. If an opinion published by the traditional media, it came into public scenario. Other than that, it will only be limited to a private scenario and will only represent to individual persons themselves, especially in social scenario. But while social platform is growing, that boundary became blurring. Morey is certificated as the general manager of Houston Rockets on Twitter doesn't mean Morey represents to Houston Rockets all the time under all circumstances. And Morey did not drag others into this mess, it's what collective punishment logic did.

And finally, I can get your point but keep calling others stupid won't help proving any superiority or correctness of yours.

#71 iXnal, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

First off, I love you Shaq! Freedom of speech is 95% of what America is. Thank you for backing that up Shaq. Kenny too.

Second, you @iXnal don't understand free speech. Free speech started with print, it moved to television because technology changed, then to internet. You either have free speech or you don't. The good people of China do not have the ability through print, television or internet to express their frustrations with the Chinese government. That's the problem.

We want to hear from the good Chinese people. They deserve the ability to express their concerns. Their concerns will aid the improvement of China and the world. We cannot wait to hear from them. We cannot wait to experience their great contributions. We want China to fully be a part of the world and the Chinese government as it stands, blocks that from happening.

Give us the good Chinese people! We want them in our world!

13. don grahamleone

How many great scientists in China are prevented from contributing to the world because of their current government?

14. iXnal

iXnal Member

I totally understand what you say. While I using the words like "say" or "speak", I'm not just referencing to voices coming from mouth. I'm truly sorry about what I said might mislead you at some point.

What I posted in this thread is all about even Chinese people disagree the opinion expressed by Morey's tweet, I don't agree with them expanding their furious to the Houston Rockets organization even to entire NBA because I think Morey's tweet can only represent to himself. And I also disagree what the Ernie Johnson said Morey should choose a right time to tweet that because that so-called right time doesn't match the spirit of freedom. What I replied is just to point out that freedom of speech is not only just a legal provision stated in US constitution but also a human right which need to be protected regardless of its potential consequences. And as I mentioned in other threads, I fully support on what Morey posted on Twitter and the biggest problem in China is the Chinese government is using everything they could to censor all information. That's the basic reason why Chinese people are so pissed off about Morey's tweet.

15. don grahamleone

Why are the Chinese people pissed off about Morey's tweet? He's simply stated that the people of Hong Kong should be free to express freedoms.

16. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I call dibs on Koala Bear Snuff Film for a band name!

17. iXnal

iXnal Member

Because all medias in China only broadcast the false information that the Hong Kong protesters are asking for independence, the photos and videos only target those violence made by protesters. So the people don't understand what the Hong Kong people protest for and don't know any real demand from Hong Kong protesters, and of course they don't know any violence the police did to protesters. Then when they saw "Fight for freedom, Stand with Hong Kong", they only think it as a support to independence of Hong Kong. That's why they're pissed off.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do you really think people watch the 7pm news, it is mostly boring and propaganda.

At least people I know dun care about politics, they care about entertainment though.

Many watch HBO and Netflix rips. They are not interested enough to pay for a VPN device, freedom of speech doesn’t earn them their living.

Some of them still rally behind the flag because of their ‘inner patriot’, their education as kids not because of broadcasts.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's really no different than here. If you had protesters in some state destroying property, asking for stuff that no one else in the country has, and blasting the government, then a sizable fraction of Americans would hate them. And if there was a prominent figure from a foreign business expressing support for those protesters, there would absolutely be a large movement here to boycott that business.

I'm not defending it, but that's how nationalism/propaganda works universally.

20. iXnal

iXnal Member

People don't watch CCTV 7pm news doesn't mean that they can get different news by other medias. You are just clueless about how Chinese propaganda machine runs. Then what reason do you think aroused those inner patriot?