1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no I get it too. It's just "What about Biden" doesn't seem to garner the same level of social sympathy as the better-known and more widely-popular (wildly populist?) form of "What about the Bad Orange Man?"

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

I still believe Biden + Abrams or Klobuchar is the most likely outcome of the Dem primary.

baller4life315, Rashmon and Nook like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it really that hard to understand? The severity, frequency, and variety of Trump's transgressions are exponentially greater than Biden's.

It makes perfect sense that it would be better known and more popular. What doesn't make sense is that you are pretending not to understand that.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I do too -- I think it's most likely. I think his support remains pretty steady and the others will split up the other votes. It would be one thing if it was Biden versus one other person, but for a long, long time, it will be Biden versus at least five or six pseudo-relevant other contenders splitting non-Biden votes.

A lot of Warren and Bernie voters will be very disappointed if that comes to pass, to say the least.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I don't see Biden winning against Trump but he would still get my vote.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of think Biden is a lesser Trump in terms of support. As other non-Biden candidates drop out most of their supporters will go to someone other than Biden. So Sanders or Warren will increase while Biden will hold steady... That is until the Biden supporters who's main reason for supporting him is that they think he is the most likely to win, see that he's no longer winning and will then also switch to whoever is leading at the time.

7. Nook

Nook Member

That was over 20 years ago and what was socially acceptable has changed.

You know damn well Trump was very careful and purposeful in his use of that term.

If I go back far enough I may be able to find Trump or Biden using the term "oriental" to describe Asian Americans........ does that do anything for you?

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

how do you know I'm pretending?

9. Nook

Nook Member

We have Sanders doubling down saying AOC would be part of his cabinet.

Some of the other candidates are not really helping themselves.

B-Bob and Major like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll vote for Biden. He’ll be good. I’ll vote for all but Tulsi at this point.

baller4life315 and Rashmon like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I understand......... I just keep seeing some of the candidates marching further and further to the left and that will likely really hurt in the general election.

12. Major

Major Member

I think there are two lanes where supporters will go - a lot of people just aren't on board with the far-progressive-left of Warren/Sanders, which is going to sustain his support to some degree.

Progressive / anti-establishment Lane: Warren, Sanders, Yang, Steyer, Gabbard
    Moderate Lane: Biden, Pete, Harris, Booker, Klobuchar, Beto

As people drop out, I think they consolidate more in their lane rather than just all anti-Biden, with some demographic exceptions (women may gravitate towards Warren; Men towards Biden, etc). I think Warren's biggest challenge is that the bulk of her new voters will come from Sanders, but he's not dropping out anytime soon. Biden's biggest challenge is that the bulk of his moderate lane opponents are all 2%ers, so there's not a lot of new votes there outside of Pete and Harris, neither of which seem likely to drop out before Super Tuesday.

The key for Biden though is sustaining the first few weeks. He looks sketchy in Iowa and Nevada, and almost certain to lose New Hampshire. So the big question is what would 2nd place finishes in each of those do to his South Carolina support. If it tanks, he's done. If it holds and he wins SC, then the next batch of states (Super Tuesday) is pretty favorable to him, and would almost assuredly end Pete and Harris' campaigns, which could reinforce him. Sanders and what he will do if he keeps finishing 3rd or 4th in these early states is a big wildcard.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We need the white knight candidate to show up at some point.

Is hillary busy?

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

should we start a new lynch mob rhetoric thread? asking for a friend

<iframe width='480' height='290' scrolling='no' src='' frameborder='0' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

WaPo really piling it on here it seems to me.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well since we're going back to the 90's

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Biden is breaking down with every camera appearance. It’s as if he took a peek into the Arc of Covenent. I would’ve felt more comfortable if he ran in 16, which is sad should he have ran for re-election.

Now the odometer is hitting 300k. I suppose it was a model and year when American cars were great. I just can’t remember when American cars were great.

Lol, my simple thought is that the dnc pushes for center left and hope the far left steps in line out of loyalty (far less than rank and file cons) or a sheer contempt for trump. I’m assuming Pelosi’s legwork for futilely pushing impeachment is not only to appease the aoc types but also to slow drip Wikileaks style revelations. They’ll bank on the continued anger and outrage to push libs of all spectrum into driving Not Trump over For Bland Moderate. Probably why she’s aiming to end the hearings by EoY to hand that cute little flaming baby on McConnel’s doorstep.

Dem voters are really a herd of cats, but the Biden demo seems more reliable... unless you flip them off in your First Class window while flying over their state. The thing that annoys me most with the far left is that they get suckered into cult like devotion “influencer status” and pure all or nothing idealist policies that turn what should be one holistic platform into a handful of issues. Nothing better than having a dead fish on your biggest night out over one slip...

#416 Invisible Fan, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this is a great post

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

At least Biden hasn't had a heart attack.

Rashmon and Nook like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Oh absolutely - that's the whole theory of the Biden campaign. You notice he's really just running a general election campaign already and not trying to win primary voters. He's not holding big rallies. He's not launching big liberal initiatives. He's not trying to seek out the progressive left small-donor dollars. He's just trying to win the nomination while positioning himself as center-left and not committing to anything that will hurt him in the general election. And then he's banking on turnout from the far-left just due to hatred of Trump.

I don't know if it will work, but it's the exact strategy I would use if I was his campaign strategist. It's really the only strategy that can work for him. If he manages through the primary, he'll dominate the general with no problem - the primary is actually the harder challenge for him. Interesting new Iowa poll has Mayor Pete surging into 2nd, with Biden in 4th. *That* would be a giant problem for him if something like that were to happen. His strategy really depends on at least finishing 2nd in the first 3 states. That said, Pete finishing #1 out of nowhere would help blunt any Warren momentum and I don't think Pete's appeal stretches far enough to propel him forward.

jiggyfly and Rashmon like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

GOP fantasy duly (and dully) noted. :D