1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I like this but I don’t think Hinch has it in him to do it now. I’m sure he’s had this same lineup before during the season. I wanna know what these guys’ stats were hitting in this order.

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I wouldn't feel as bad about this loss but Fivehead and Baldys glee makes this 1000 times worse for some reason. Haven't heard them coach our hitters once but it's always a PowerPoint presentation when opposing hitters are up. F these guys.

phasors28 likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Because when JV pitched on 3 days' rest, they had Cole for Game 5 at normal rest, so the Astros weren't hurting their chances of winning game 5. If you pitch Cole on 3 days' rest in game 4, you're getting no benefit unless you start pitching everyone else on 3 days' rest too, in which case you've hurt your chances in 3 different games.

4. Major

Major Member

Yes, of course you do. You still have to win the other games. Same reason the Yankees threw a bullpen game in game 6 instead of starting Severino on short rest. The only time you throw someone on short rest is when you're not hurting your chances in a future game as a result.

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I mean it’s an unknown for sure but if the Stros are down in the series there is a good chance it happens. However, there is a 50% chance of rain Saturday night so that could change things considerably since you don’t want to have your ace sitting for long stretches. Hopefully the forecast worsens and Game 4 is a rainout. Would give the Astros a huge advantage just like the ALCS.

everyday eddie and phasors28 like this.
  6. cardpire

cardpire Member

would gladly wager that if we are down 3-0 cole pitches game 4.

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Springer has homered in a record 5 consecutive world series games. Make it 6 and a win tomorrow.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

no there wasn't only 1 out.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Not necessarily. The main benefit is to have Cole available again on 3 days rest in Game 7. You could still do the bullpen game in Game 5 and then go with JV in Game 6 on 5 days rest. Then Greinke/Cole in Game 7.

But really a Game 4 rainout is what we should all root for.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't forget, we usually lose as an underdog too ;)

The underdog mentality is bad and I hate it (although it's great to thrive in any situation regardless of odds), but it's not your fault. Houston Sports has conditioned us to think like that. It's silly not wanting to be the favorite. Why? Because YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN.

I wish Houston would start winning regardless of odds and blowout MF's in the process. It shouldn't/doesn't always have to be hard. Rockets-Magic is our best, perhaps only, example. Red Sox blewout everyone last year. 2018 Rockets almost did, but failed.

Winning (any type of way) is the main thing, but I wish we would start regulating. Current Astros have done great in that regard during the regular season, so baby steps, I guess.

#1550 Houstunna, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

What I saw in this game was an Astros team that didn't take the Nationals seriously enough, and it cost them. Watching their body language, I'm increasingly seeing signs of arrogance and over-swagger from the Astros. Almost like they think they can just snap their fingers and magically cruise to a WS championship. I'm hoping that this loss serves as a reality check.

One positive is that they made Scherzer work, and got a decent number of hits and walks. Hopefully that carries over to tomorrow night against Strasburg, along with getting more hits with RISP.

Bregman has become TOO patient at the plate. I don't want him to go overboard and take an Altuve-like approach, but adopting a bit more "attack mode" might be good. He has been underwhelming in the postseason.

Springer's hopping and lollygagging on that double he hit is inexcusable. Astro players should not be reacting like that on a hit unless it's an absolute no-doubter blast onto the train tracks in left or the upper deck in right.

That double that (I think) Soto hit off the wall in left field could've been caught by Brantley if he had a better read on the ball, hustled harder to the wall, and made a properly timed jump to grab it.

This was Cole's worst start since May. Yes he deserves some blame, but I'm not annoyed with him. Even before he gave up all the runs, the lack of strikeouts and swing-and-misses were a warning sign that Cole didn't have his A-game or B-game. Washington had a good game plan against him.

Alvarez not coming through in that bases loaded situation was a killer. Overall though he did have a decent game tonight.

12. Major

Major Member

Same convo I had with someone else in the last series. Barring injuries or rainouts or other crazy things, this isn't happening. The Astros got to where they are by understanding math. And math tells us that running 4 straight pitchers out there on short rest in 4 straight must-win games is highly unlikely to work. Your odds of winning the series are substantially higher of running 3 pitchers out there with regular rest and hoping for the best with the bullpen game.

Your position is the equivalent of NFL teams punting on 4th and 1 all the time 10 years ago. It's what people used to do before analytics taught them basic math and led to substantially smarter decision making. Coaches and teams are much more willing to do smart things instead of being afraid of looking stupid these days.

13. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - yeah, in this scenario there could be a marginal benefit if they don't trust their bullpen. I could see the Nationals doing something like this if the scenario was reversed. I don't think the Astros pick short-rest Cole + a few innings of short-rest Cole in Game 7 over regular-rest Cole and normal bullpen in Game 7, but it's at least a closer call.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

cool explanation. sounds like free money for you? how much is the wager?

15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

By the way fellas, the hourly forecast for Saturday has the chance of rain peaking right at first pitch and then steady all the way until about midnight. Hopefully this forecast worsens to heavy sustained storms and gets Game 4 rained out.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/dc/washington/20500

16. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yeah I mean that’s the only reason I was thinking of it honestly. If the Stros are up 2-1 then they probably won’t do it.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

doesn't actually help a ton other than it gives the chance that game 5 will be rained out as well, which then would help.

helps marginally, but not substantially. game 7 date wouldn't change with one rainout.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Smoltz is getting deeper meaning from this.

He's hoping we don't surpass his ring total in 1/3 the time.

lw17 and jcee15 like this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

All of 5 hits with RISP in the Yankees series and 3 tonight so I guess they are improving but 1 of those 3 hits was an infield single that didn't score a run. The other 2 hits would have been HR's with a regular season juiced ball so it's still pretty much all or nothing with the offense.

20. plates300

plates300 Member

Neither pitcher had their A game. The Nats made the Astros pay for it. The Astros let the Nats off the hook.

lw17 and Houstunna like this.