1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

This seems like a weird thing to just randomly shout at anyone. It is probably likely that one of the reporters made some sort of disparaging remark about Osuna, maybe something along the lines of "I bet they regret trading for him now", and Taubman instead of letting it go decided to make a scene. A celebratory clubhouse isn't necessarily the place to be making comments like that, but boisterously defending a domestic violence offender is pretty much never a good idea.

The initial report made it seem like the comment by Taubman was completely unprovoked, which is what i'm guessing the Astros took issue with. But if that was the case the Astros could have simply said "Taubman was defending a player, but his methods were extremely poor and we apologize" but they didn't do that.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While I am heavily against domestic violence and think Osuna is a piece of trash as both a human being and a closer, what a sad society we live in when someone can be publicly judged and condemned for simply expressing support for an individual, any individual, at a distance just because someone got their feelings hurt. Going by the already flimsy "report", it's not as if the AGM was in the reporter's face or using language that was specifically provocative or intimidating. For me right now, this is just another example of the current and disgusting outrage culture where SJWs are just looking for a reason to get angry.

Obviously, as more information becomes available, my opinion about this incident may change. Right now however, there are just too many question marks for it to all make sense. Was it a stupid thing to do? Most definitely. Is it worthy of the level of outrage it caused? IMO, definitely not.

Unless we are talking about the AGM being prematurely judged guilty by the internet, the legal matters pertaining to the Osuna case took place in Canada. It wasn't even a US thing.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

MAGASTROS! You got it buddy.

The Astros themselves and the speaker have recanted the bogus story that he was merely "supporting Osuna" -

Will this penetrate the thick skulls of the MAGASTROS bros and their tireless struggle against SJWs, snowflakery, betas and virtue signallers?

Because once these young fellows and their accounts get triggered, it's hard to define a method that will turn them off.Who knows, more importantly who cares!

Impeachment is coming dudes. Muhuahauahahahahah! Get ready for the snowflake meltdown of all time from 1600 Pennsylvania. I hope I'm doing this right. Need to contact my SJW brigade commander.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If you read my post a few pages ago, I stated the article was in bad faith and not done to try to solve any problem. However, I also pointed out that just saying we shouldn't talk about at certain times or saying we will fix that later, etc, just leads to people getting so fed up with these type of society issues taht that they resort of public outrage and media pitchforks.

If the team had just let him be interviewed initially and released their second respond instead of the immediate bad reaction, they could have used this as opportunity to bring awareness to DV and some better discussion. If the reporter had written a more comprehensive story on issues with DV, what teams are trying to do, and options for improvement, it would have been better. If TB had just not yelled stupid stuff at reporters given that he has worked with media for his entire career, this would have never happened.

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm aware. It's not the like US is the only country with issues regarding domestic violence or women's rights.

6. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Even if the report is true, what exactly did he do wrong other than mock a reporter? I didn’t realize that mocking a reporter was now an unconscionable act. Players mock the reporters daily. There is probably much more to the story and maybe the guy was just tired of these reporters continuing to harp on Osuna’s past, so he decided to mock them. Is it childish? Yeah, but what exactly did he do that was SOOOOOO bad? Did Brandon Taubman beat a woman or threaten anyone? No. This is just SJW drummed up bullshit. This is the equivalent of “he made fun of me and I’m butt hurt” so I’m going to tell the teacher. So stupid.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. AB_KIAd_myCar

AB_KIAd_myCar Member

I hope my boss is that excited about me when I give up the series winning save at work

keeley likes this.
  9. SamFisher

Yes, the reporters who reported the story knew the whole story.

Shockingly, the reporters who reported the thing said, which was corroborated, were right, which the Astros just admitted....

...and all the people who thought it was an 8-dimensional chess maneuver that was being unfairly framed (e.g., you) were wrong.

This is what happened.

Just because you don't like the truth, doesn't make it unfair.

rhino17 likes this.
  10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

My comment was to a comment that someone made that issues with Osuna should be taken to court.

I'm aware Taubman didn't abuse anyone. I never condoned what SI did. I also didn't condone with TB or the Astros did. They all responded/actly somewhat poorly in varying degrees. Only the Astros and TB have the most to lose, which is unfortunately means they will get the most blame.

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You don’t get it. We WANT impeachment. It just helps Trump.

12. SamFisher

SooneRockStro likes this.
  13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If the situation is being overblown, I really hope someone at the FO has the cajones to reply back with "Go **** yourself" Will obviously never happen, but would be hilarious as hell.

fiersdownbelow and J.R. like this.
  14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

That's what I thought at first. But if you read the details about the context, and the corroboration from multiple witnesses, it's clear that this explanation doesn't fit the facts.

I'm sorry that in 2019, you still think this way. If there are any women in your life, consider showing them more respect.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Like the media has never misrepresented or flat out lied about the truth before.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This disaster could have been avoided had Astros PR / management just handled this in the correct way. Not saying Taubman is innocent by any means but the bigger issue that has been raised is due to the organization's ineptitude when it comes to crisis management.

That being said, I guarantee you if there is video we would see that this incident has been highly exaggerated. Just as there is corruption in favor of money and market inefficiencies in sports (see, Astros) there is corruption in media and journalism. The Houston Chronicle is a plunging disaster of a media company. Sports Illustrated is a plunging disaster of a media company who just fired half their talent. It is not a coincedence.

fiersdownbelow and rpr52121 like this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

This story makes no sense in the narrative it's being told in. I'm not saying it isn't true but I'm hesitant to pick a side at this point mainly because the internet is too ****ing fast at shaming people. So he yelled "I'm so glad we got ****ing osuna" which essentially translates to "I love ****ing wifebeaters" if directing it at a group of women. Ok. I can see that, in the right context with the right tone of voice. If true, he's a moron and super weird. And I'd probably be inclined to fire him, because that may be too stupid to recover from. But I'd like to hear the full breakdown of the event first.

18. Major

Major Member

If there was a legitimate alternate version of events, the Astros or Taubman could have shared those details - who was he talking to? What reporter? What player was being interviewed? They chose not to. These are the perfectly reasonable consequences of that. Their original statement has already been debunked. That's on them.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, if your job is involves working with media regularly, and the company you work for is based on social popularity and the media liking your company's brand and pumping you up. Then why on earth would you mock the media?

Sure player's mock the media, but it often comes back to bite them if they do anything dumb or stupid. Plus they can perform on the field, to make some fans forget that. A front office person has no opportunity to do that. If anything, what TB did was just plain stupid given his position with the team.

#279 rpr52121, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

But the media is not 1 person or 1 company. It is many different people, with different voices and different agendas. Just because there are some bad apples, doesn't mean all are. Yes, all reporting should be taken a grain of salt at first, especially in this click-bait/cable news era, but it doesn't you mean cannot trust any of it.