1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

And? GFY.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I mean, we all kind of know what happened right?

The AGM saw what was happening and probably sarcastically yelled "I'm glad we ****ing have Osuna". He said it loud and proud so they could hear and because of the history between the reporters-AGM, he was most likely "sticking it to them". He definitely did not see some bracelet that was supposedly being worn either. He also assumed what he was saying couldn't technically be considered a bad thing because they are glad to have him. If the AGM had subbed in any other player's name for Osuna using the same sentence, you would not have seen this article. You might have seen some tweets about how happy the AGM is with whatever player, but not hit pieces against an entire organization. This is what makes this so annoying. You don't have to agree with what Osuna is done, but to have a witch-hunt against a person and entire organization is not going to make it better.

The problem with all this, you can't give a verdict based on feeling. She is essentially bringing up her own feelings in her sensitive brain in order to write the story. Trying to angle for someone's firing is not going to help either. You'll just make people tune out to your cause, which is what has happened multiple times through Trump's presidency for example. Eventually people tune out Russia or whatever if you go about it the wrong way.

It's quite sad that this is what the press/journalism has gone to. You see it in news, entertainment, and it's now solidly in sports too.

Handles, SooneRockStro and J.R. like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Definitely possible.

Or maybe the person, representing the team that the reporter was reporting on, said/did something, and the reporter - reported what was said or done.

I'm familiar with the gutting of Sports illustrated by its current owners and the attempt to turn it into a low-budget click farm.

That has really nothing to do with any of this - that's Trump level conspiracy nonsense.

Hey Now! likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. SamFisher

That's some galaxy brain zapruder ****. Thanks for posting.

6. Nook

Nook Member

(Full disclosure: I am friends with Stephanie Apstein of Sports Illustrated.)

7. Scarface281

So if he had said "I'm ****ing glad we traded for Cole". do you think the SI reporter would have had an article about harsh language being said in the clubhouse? This is literally just a witchhunt based on past history between them. She finally got a quote just small enough she could flip into something else and NO ONE wants to be seen as defending a domestic abuser. Boom, it's on MLBN, ESPN OTL, etc.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Nook

Nook Member

What year was Ray Lewis in the Super Bowl?

Times change.... back in the good ole days we could just grab them by the p***y and they would let you do it.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Pretty much. It’s no different than all the Russia Russia Russia garbage perpetuated daily by liberal media. Eventually, people tune you out. I’ve decided to tune these reporters out because they clearly have an agenda against the Astros for acquiring Osuna. These reporters can **** off, and all of the SJWs on ESPN like Jeff Passan and Buster Olney can **** off too.

fiersdownbelow and J.R. like this.
  11. SamFisher

You: This is a witchhunt
    2 seconds later/1 post below, Houston Astros: Sorry, we are a bunch of witches. Please forgive us.

Internets is the best.

rhino17 likes this.
  12. SamFisher

Would love to subscribe to this one's newsletter.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm going to guess it was overblown and that's why the Astros reacted how they did. Everything about this guy says completely harmless geek. He looks like he's 5'5" 130, a competitive table tennis player, Cornell grad, fantasy baseball geek, married for 5 years, kid on the way in a month, and his entire bio is what most people would call a prototypical geek. Not that political affiliations matter, but the guy is a registered Democrat as well.

I hate to be so skeptical of the reporter's claim and the others who backed her, but it's really out there and it kind of doesn't match up. Do I think he made the comment? Yes. Do I think it happened in the manner she laid out? No.

First she said he turned to them directly (I honestly wasn't even sure that she was directly involved in this with the wording of her initial report) in the middle of room which would have been by all the beer and drinks and said "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so ****ing glad we got Osuna!" 6 times in a row. Now she says it was like a chant (which I normally think of meaning more than 1 person) and she couldn't make out what he was saying at first. Anyhow, do you know how long it takes to yell that without stopping? About 30 seconds....I timed it lol. I mean if I'm a reporter and I see some guy spazzing out and yelling/chanting "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so ****ing glad we got Osuna!" directly at me for allegedly 6 times in a row then I'm probably putting my camera on him after the 3rd time. I wasted time watching the 25 min long celebration video to see if there might be some evidence of what happened and I didn't really see much of anything. Could have certainly happened after the video ended. Taubman was walking off into a side hallway right when it ended.

Also, in her first report she made it seem like a staffer quickly apologized for whatever happened. Now in her second report about it the staffer didn't make an apology until 2 days later after she sought out a staffer when she was at the Astros facility.

That said the Astros should have just let her talk to him after it happened. I'm sure it would have blown over a lot easier if they didn't shut her down completely on this story.

Anyhow, Taubman apologized....let's move on.

14. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

likestohypeguy and Marteen like this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Unrelated, but you know that lead to dozens of convictions right?

Nook likes this.
  16. Scarface281

Literally in the post you quoted I said no one wants to be seen siding with a domestic abuser. The Astros could do nothing but bring out those statements. Their first statement was the best and most honest one though, and far less politically correct.

And it's great Trump made it mainstream what most people in news/entertainment/sports already knew was happening. But guess what? It still goes on now... Only difference is the betas can't get away with it anymore.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

18. Scarface281

Yes verdicts that had nothing to do with Russia. I'm no Trump supporter, but anyone can see the news bias with Russia and a slew of other "controversies". It's part of what turned me off from mainstream media (Fox, CNN, etc.). You're seeing the effects of it now, with people not caring too much for politics as long as they continue to have their well paying jobs.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  19. BlackHalo

BlackHalo Member

Guess what you're in Texas. There is going to be a lot of Trump voters here. I'm one of them... who cares?

New York was 59% Clinton. I'm sure the Yankees won't mind another fan.

fiersdownbelow and SooneRockStro like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

This is not a court of law.

Of course they don't have to do anything. They just have to accept the consequences of that will be a huge media story where they are the bad guys. If they are OK with that, more power to them with the lame denials and obfuscation.

Nook likes this.