1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm numb to this faux outrage, SJW stuff. I'm not making judgement on the intention of the statement. But I can only give a certain number of ***** a day, and this doesn't really meet my requirement. This is speaking from someone that didn't think we should have traded for Osuna and not really a fan of his.

#181 rockbox, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Insensitive to who?

How is saying you are happy that you traded for guy who led the AL in saves insensitive?

Do you hear yourself?

astros123 likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've never seen somebody yell it out towards other people randomly, especially several times, unprovoked.

Nook likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have you seen a video?

Do you know if it was random, toward other people or unprovoked?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As somebody who does this for a living, their press release was embarrassingly tone deaf. Like you, I disliked the Osuna acquisition - but my teen-tiny saving grace has always been Luhnow's involvement. I've had the opportunity to meet & speak with him on countless occasions, and he's too smart and considerate to engage in something so craven... or so I thought. But I think he and the team have handled this situation about as poorly as possible, from the day of the trade up to yesterday's press release.

There has been an undercurrent of arrogance to it that I didn't think he and this FO was capable. And it is so diametrically in opposition to the team itself. It's disappointing.

6. raining threes

Me too

And I will be so glad when Hunter and Stephanie get tougher skin

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

8. AstrosRockets1818

Done!!! Now STFU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! World Series Time.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

What a mess.

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

These reporters are all typical SJW media types who shouldn’t be believed about anything, because time and time again they exaggerate events or perpetuate false narratives.

12. Major

Major Member

Because they are the ones calling her a liar.

Nook likes this.
  13. astros123

astros123 Member

jesus what a mess. Why cant we just STFU and win

14. Major

Major Member

The Astros were given an opportunity to comment and share their side of the story before it was published. They chose not to.

They then released a statement challenging her story - and still did not include any valid context. The only context they gave seems to have been disputed by multiple sources (the idea that a player was being interviewed and he was giving support).

If the Astros' version of events is true, it's very easy to end this whole story, great - give the details of the context. Who was he talking to? What player was being interviewed? What was it about? Who was doing the interview? Those should all be verifiable things.

So that leaves the question - why aren't the Astros just killing this story with simple facts?

15. AstrosRockets1818

I hope to god our players and staff do zero interviews unless it's by a Julia. **** ALL OF THEM.

fiersdownbelow and J.R. like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Were at the top now. We get to enjoy what other teams enjoy who reach the pinnacle of greatness.

Journalists and other teams making stuff up about you cheating and jumping on any time a member of your team screws up and making a national headline about it. How many stories is this now about the Astros? Wasn't pine tar another one?

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

JFC why did the Astros have to handle this so poorly?? They have no one to blame but themselves for the media ****-storm this has created. Whoever thought releasing that asinine, intelligence-insulting statement last night was a good idea needs to be axed. Taubman is a douche for creating this issue, and he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any kind of celebrations in the future.

Nook and Hey Now! like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Coverup is always worse than the crime. Just nip a bad situation in the bud and move on.

Now it will permeate over the WS...a time of celebration for the Astros and fans.

Astros botched this situation and it is a shame.

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-report-alleging-executives-clubhouse-blowup/

Sports Illustrated reporter Stephanie Apstein had filed a story on the end of the New York Yankees’ season, so she made her way to the victorious Astros clubhouse, where she thought she might report some material for a future World Series piece. Instead, as she stood with two other female reporters, she said she heard a chant that at first she couldn’t make out but then became all too clear. “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f------ glad we got Osuna!”

“At first I didn't know who he was, who was yelling, but then it was shocking,” Apstein said in a phone interview Tuesday. “We were shaken."

On Monday, Apstein returned to Minute Maid Park to cover the team workouts before the start of the World Series, which pits the Astros against the Washington Nationals. She sought out an Astros public relations staffer and relayed her version of the Saturday night’s events.

She said the staffer discouraged her from writing anything because she couldn’t truly know Taubman’s intent.

“That’s why I was asking to speak with him,” Apstein said. “Exactly because I wanted to find out.”

The Astros did not make Taubman available and declined to comment further. Apstein decided to write a story.

“Frankly we thought given 36 hours that someone would have apologized and then we probably wouldn't have written the story,” she said. “Obviously they didn't.”

She continued: “The choices were to write or not to write it. And the truth is we just want to work, as reporters we just want to do our jobs. We don’t want this to be the story. But I wrote it because it's not right and it’s true and that’s our obligation to say things that are true and then peel back the curtain on attitudes that I think are pervasive in the game."

“This is the miscalculation that teams make over and over again,” Apstein wrote. “They acquire players with reprehensible pasts for less than market rate and concede that they will have to pay a price in public trust. But when the bill comes due, teams act like they, not the people their actions wounded, are the aggrieved party. How dare you keep reminding us of the past? Don’t you understand we have baseball games to play?”

After the Astros released their statement, the Houston Chronicle reported that two of its reporters were able to confirm the claims made by Sports Illustrated. A reporter for Yahoo Sports also said she could provide confirmation. Sports Illustrated issued a statement standing by the story.

Apstein also said one of the men who was standing with Taubman came over to the group of women to apologize after he screamed at them.

“It’s so easy to just be like this is the first we heard and we’re investigating and then on November 1 you announce he’s going to be suspended for a week,” Apstein said. “But they want to be entitled to their version of events, what they want to have happened."

Apstein, 31, has worked at Sports Illustrated since 2011 when she started as a fact-checker and has been covering the national baseball beat since the 2016 World Series.

“I think their refusal to talk about what happened and their response is why it’s a story,” she said of the Astros. Houston Manager “A.J. Hinch is going to meet the media today and it’s going to be one of the first questions. They made it a big story.”

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yuli mocking Darvish was a top story as well. This story will be dead in a few days.