1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Here's the tough guy defending his defenseless player from those mean, man-hating ladies:

[​IMG]

Cool of the Astros to hire Ducky from Pretty in Pink!

The Real Shady and SamFisher like this.
  2. AstrosRockets1818

Explain this is so bad?

"Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f------ glad we got Osuna!”

Are you referring to this because Osuna had a dropped charge for allegedly beating a female in Canada?
    Shame on all of you. Osuna was not charged. This new story has zero grounds.

Bearded13 and fiersdownbelow like this.
  3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

lol

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And this....THIS...is why you should never go full Sports fan ya'll.

5. AstrosRockets1818

Explain to me with facts only why anything he said should be investigated.

thanks.

6. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Trying to make fun of someone for their appearance is not acceptable in 2019.

7. AstrosRockets1818

Agree!!! I'm a Right Winger. But i'm going full lib-tard today boys!!! Defending "wife beaters" and defending "our nerdy assistant GM who looks like a dork and likes players that hit women"

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree that people trying to defend / relitigate the crime of Osuna's domestic violence are in the wrong here. But it's distasteful, the timing of blowing this story up. The sports radio guys today said it, and I agree, that this reporter most likely had the skeleton of an article about the Astros and Osuna drafted, loaded, and in the chamber, just waiting for the right opportunity to fire.

Whoever this member of the baseball ops is, he's not on the 25 man roster, and he's not the coach or the GM. Any prosecution of his actions, whenever the various eyewitness reports get parceled out, can wait until the offseason. It's the damn World Series, let's focus on the games!

#148 Spacemoth, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    fiersdownbelow and jiggyfly like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Its the first day of the World Series and the national media and us are sitting here talking and reading about this nerd. Gawdamn shame.

The Real Shady likes this.
  10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He can't because the facts don't support the outrage. The article was written void of context and tried to force the reader into several assumptions.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't have any issue at all with this story, nor do I feel sorry for the Astros' having to deal with this.

1. When they acquired Osuna, they knew they were entering a hornet's nest in terms of PR. They shouldn't be surprised it's going to crop up here and there as long as he's with the Astros, and likely more often when the Astros are at the center of the sports world.

2. The Astros were given a chance to comment before publication of the story and chose not to. That's on them.

3. The Astros came out in support of the guy and essentially caller the reporter a liar, and then she was backed up by multiple other reporters, all of which have something to lose and nothing to gain by doing so. It makes the Astros' position much harder to believe.

4. The article was spurred by one specific incident, but it talks extensively about Chapman and the Yankees' reaction to him, and how this is just a small example of a bigger problem around baseball. Astros are the specific villain in this incident, but MLB as a whole was the focus. That's a reasonable story in a modern sports world.

That said, the calls for the Astros to dump Osuna are crazy. I didn't want him here, but he's done nothing between Saturday and today - this story is not about him at all. It's about an assistant GM who may have said something crazy/rude/dispicable depending on the circumstances. If the Astros hadn't dumped Osuna before Saturday, there's no good reason to dump him now.

#3 is the most problematic part of it to me. If the Astros want to defend him, fine - but they need to give a lot more details. Who was he yelling that to? Why? What game situation was he talking about? None of that context should be hard to produce, and if we're wrong, we apologize. Until then, it sounds like the Astros PR department either jumped the gun without knowing the facts or is bunkering in regardless of accuracy.

elrond and awc713 like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh How about the fact that multiple journalists confirmed the events? Not 1,2,3 but 4 including a local journalist.

Please lets not play this stupid game. I think the AGM got trashed and made an ass of himself. It happens.

I don't give a **** about Osuna. That ship has sailed and he's on the team and served his suspension.

Wulaw Horn, Hippieloser and SamFisher like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Looking at the larger picture.

I don't see how anyone could be fired over the comments. There is no way to understand the intent. They can only assume it.

Even if he had intent, there is still no reason to fire someone because the position has always been that Osuna is innocent. If he had intent it was defined by his perception. That he saw three women who had been trying to improperly discredit an innocent man. That's not so wrong. It's just miscalculated. He should have handled himself better, but there's nothing really wrong with that.

Watched Outside the Lines. The Reporter could be telling the truth, she was bit sharp, and didn't go into much detail. She seemed credible because I didn't see her as trying to amplify or exaggerate what happened, however, I thought she was very clear that she was brining her historical experiences and convictions to the table, looking to carry her torch against anyone tagged with this sort of behavior, whether they were convicted or not. She was lumping it all together.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How many of those teams are in the WS?

This story is just so damn weird given that Osuna blew the save. Feels like you would only say that in a sarcastic way following the game. I feel like some kind of context is necessary, even if still bad.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Confirmed what event? That the assistant GM yelled about being happy for trading for Osuna? Yes they did confirm that -- why is that newsworthy? Oh that's right, it's because you assume he did it intentionally to harass a group of women when he additionally knew one of them was wearing a DV bracelet. Do you know what group of men he was talking to before his exuberance? No? Do you know what their conversation was about before his exuberance? No?

Sounds like you don't know much. The facts don't support the outrage. Feel free to make assumptions on your own, but I'll stick to the facts.

fiersdownbelow and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why is between Saturday and today the only time frame that Osuna could have done something worth not being an Astro? He should never been acquired in my opinion. It being the day of Game 1 doesn't change my opinion that he shouldn't be an Astro.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

18. Major

Major Member

I'll just quote myself, 2 sentences after the snippet you quoted:

If the Astros hadn't dumped Osuna before Saturday, there's no good reason to dump him now.

19. AstrosRockets1818

20. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

While I don't agree with his rationale on the issue, I do agree with his conclusion that the article itself is really bs because it clearly lacks context and is just stirring up trouble. Why do I say that?

4 Journalists that confirmed the story lack any sort of context, quotes, or meaningful actual dialogue in a setting where there were microphones and cameras everywhere - yet they put up an article with a tweet as a quote but did not go any further. On top of that, they make an absolute assumption as if they know exactly why he was saying such words, "So why would Taubman choose that moment, to taunt that demographic? It’s not hard to figure out" - per the article.

Which begs the question:

• Was he saying it in front of their face, or was it in passing. Was Osuna anywhere around? Maybe he was trying to cheer him up (if you look at the post-game he was clearly looking a bit upset, AJ Hinch actually went over to talk to him).
    • Where was this in the locker room? Was it in the middle of the celebration, or did he literally make a point to say it in front of said women journalist?
    • What was his demeanor? Can you explain it in a few more words instead of "it was not like a celebration" - why did the other Astros staffer say sorry? Was it due to the disrespect or because someone was just being a bit too crazy in celebrating because, well, we beat the Yankees in a really tough game and Osuna did get the last couple of outs with very few reliable pitchers left in the bullpen?
    None of these questions were actually answered and it brings a lot of context to the situation of what may or may not have happened. The women may have a mob mentality because 1 is offended and she voices her opinion, the others agree (particularly the one with the purple shirt) - again, can't know without any context. When you present a matter as serious as this, you should present surrounding, factual evidence and be thorough - and not throw around a couple of quotes and grand assumptions.

This is what happens when a reporter rushes in with a story without doing the proper groundwork to make a meaningful article, and just takes a couple of tweets and puts in a narrative that spins well - and ultimately it's at the expense of the whole organization because they have to make a statement, which just creates more controversy.

That is what I have a problem with. Whether or not the allegation is true is beside the point, if you are going to bring this up you better come in with more than a few tweets. Put in some actual effort - because its SI they know if it put out there that it'll create drama - and that's not fair.

#160 KiLLiN, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019