1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness they have said they will take A scumbag of Osuna type quality.

Not so sure they would just keep adding more so they have multiple scumbags roaming around the clubhouse.

It is like Chapman........ he is a huge douche bag. He is roundly disliked by people around him, but he is really good and teams are willing to take him as their designated scumbag. He is kind of a double scumbag because he is disliked in the clubhouse and has a history of domestic violence. At least Osuna is generally liked by his teammates if they momentarily forget he is a scumbag.

B-Bob, mightybosstone and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Those are easy decisions to do if the team thought they were the right thing to do. They would negatively affect the on-field performance, so they would not be considered the right thing to do by the Astros Front Office.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Jeff Passan is always so dramatic.

Also, they need to stop talking about one of the reporters wearing a purple bracelet fighting domestic violence.

Does anyone really believe anyone saw that bracelet and it had any bearing on what was said?

I am fine with people writing opinion cases but Passan always sounds so sanctimonious.

whiskeyred, B-Bob and J.R. like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness I don't think there is a team in baseball that would release Osuna the day of game one of the World Series.

What the Astros should have done is say they are in the process of investigating the matter and let MLB make a decision.

whiskeyred, msn and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros should have not acquired him. It is one thing to deal with a problem with an existing player, and another to willing trade to acquire this issue. There are several teams that would have never acquired Osuna and not have put themselves in this situation.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

One of the most sanctimonious guys on this osuna deal was Jonah Keri— why doesn’t Keri have a job right now? Arrested for domestic violence (history and pattern) with his wife.
    I pretty much loathe everything about the press corps in politics, sports, science, etc., it’s not objective and pushes a narrative and story over facts at many times. But, I’d be really surprised if there wasn’t some fire to this smoke. The only thing keeping me from 100% jumping in on the Astros FO is scumbag situation is the lack of credibility the press has with me.
    If this checks out the way it was presented I’d fire the AGM. But then again, I’d have never ever ever ever done the Osuna deal in the first place either. The Astros don’t seem to share my values in this sense at the FO level. Which is a shame bc this seems like a clubhouse full of stand up high character guys.

whiskeyred and Nook like this.
  8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Nah. Sounds like the Astros are not the right team for you to support if you disagree with their signings.

9. AstrosRockets1818

lol. This is hilarious. Zero proof of anything on what he actually meant.

I support Luhnow's boy. **** all the haters too. Yankee fans.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Question. Is it just your fandom that makes you turn into a tribalist?

Joe Joe and Nook like this.
  11. htownbball

htownbball Member

Well at least ESPN is finally talking about the Astros

Kornel87, fiersdownbelow, Kim and 2 others like this.
  12. The Real Shady

Trying to drum up some World Series viewership by painting the Astros as the bad guys.

fiersdownbelow and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

Can you just explain the proof that he was referring to thank god we have a lady beater on our team?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’m more surprised by your rowdy support of a guy that has at least 4 journalists all of whom risk being alienated and ridiculed by people like you for confirming the story.

I’d like a serious investigation of the matter and not some emotional defense because....sports!

Joe Joe and Nook like this.
  15. The Real Shady

I'm sure the Astros will review it after the playoffs. They are not going to talk about it and make this a distraction.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What is apparent about his motivation?

I don't see it as apparent, I read something else that said it was said while Osuna was interviewing nearby.

I have no idea what Ray Rice or OJ has to do with this.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Taubman kinda seems like a ****ing *******.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

SI messed this up. The problem with the article is that is attempting to shame 1 organization and some executives for one set of remarks.

If they wanted to bring this up, instead of painting only the Astros as villains, they should tried to bring more to the table with the incident to discuss a more widespread culture within baseball and sports. Even a cursory search yields that at least 11 players on 10 different teams (including 3 other teams in the playoffs) have players who have been suspended for domestic violence allegations/crimes. Maybe even discuss a few players who have tried to make amends, provide ideas on how the system could change, etc. Just casting blame/shame on a single team for a past incident just forces them into a corner, and all that amounts is a PR spectacle. It does not solve the problem or lead to solutions.

Basically every poster on this thread as noted that domestic violence is horrid. The problem is there so many obstacles in societal/legal realms for these cases to be brought to light, go to trial, and then have a conviction; that the only vehicle for change has been press/social media-based shaming of corporations/businesses, particularly those that use publicity to make their money, who have had create a patchwork, Frankenstein-like solution that doesn't please really anyone.

Unless the whole society makes a better concerted effort to fix the underlying obstacles to address these situation in a more appropriate legal setting, there will always be rotten smell from under the floorboards.

In regards to SI, I think they are headed for a downward spiral. Their new CEO has a horrible history of sexual harassment allegations and is fired half the staff of full time SI writers to be replaced by a fleet of "freelancers" with unpaid contributor content, pay-for-clicks schemes and troubling presentations of advertorial. It's basically what happened to Forbes. Because of their name recognition and the poor PR response by the Astros this is getting a headwind. This is just bad journalism.

In regards to TB's comment. It just comes off in a bad light. I doubt anyone thinks he intended that "he wants someone with DV history on this team". It's that what what he said ignores Osuna's past and does not recognize that many people in the media and fanbase are uneasy to root for that player. It's a sign of "time erases those wrongs", which underscores why DV has persisted for so long with minimal changes to address it. It is why people now are so tired of that attitude and make a fuss about it.

It is wrong to use a few people, sometimes incorrectly, to represent a societal neglect and attitude that is dying out, though way too slowly? Yes, but for so many people, they recognize that societal issues like this will only change when people are not allowed to clear it from their minds, and are forced to change it. I don't know if that is the correct strategy, but its one of a few that has worked to changed society in the past 150 years in this country.

#139 rpr52121, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Kornel87, fiersdownbelow, msn and 3 others like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Jesus calm down. Not seeing any "haters" but people wondering what the heck he was thinking. Doesn't need to be a big deal but the Astros could make him available. They've really skated by pretty quietly in hiring a questionable guy who'd been suspended a long time, and good for them. They bought low and have profited. But they could face a couple of hard questions too -- comes with the territory when you hire someone who has hit women.

Kim likes this.