1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Klay Thompson injury

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Feb 13, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

just a little history on Klay.

he is the 2nd son of Mychal Thompson, NBA's #1 overall pick in 1978, who played in the league for ~ 12 yrs, winning 2 rings.

Klay and his brothers grew up in Portland, Or, playing AAU basketball w Kevin Love.

The Thompson family moved to So Calif during Klay's junior year; a 6'7" sharp shooting sg, Klay was good enough to be named to all-county team in his senior year.

Klay wanted to play college ball in So Calif; but he received no offers locally.

so his father, the former Lakers and current lakers BB analyst, stepped in calling all the tier 1 (USC, UCLA) and tier 2 schools (Pepperdine, Cal State Fullerton / Long Beach / San Diego)
    in So Calif to offer Klay a scholarship.

none of them wanted Klay. so the plan was to have Klay to go to a prep school, like his older brother. at the last minute, Wash State, offered Klay a scholarship.

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Little story about Klay:

He’s an ass who undercut our James Harden during three point jumpers several in the playoffs potentially causing the same injury he’s currently suffering from. He’s not some nice guy I care about.

I have more love for Steph Curry than Klay Thompson. At least he’s not a cheap shot artist.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will he be able to play 22 games?

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

will he still be trying to undercut harden while shooting 3s after he comes back from injury?

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it will be interesting to see if he does it again

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

No joke.. like did you learn your karma lesson?

vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

According to Rivals he was a 4 start recruit and #51 nationally (#6 SG) with offers from Pepperdine, Michigan, Notre Dame and WS. I don't think he would have ever gone to prep school

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2008/klay-thompson-17208

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I just can't get over the injustice of the injury. Like, what did he do to deserve this? Or them, for that matter? I just, like, can't believe that a god even exists after the chaos of this accident. And Kevin leaving... Nothing makes any sense. I'm a soul in search of answers...

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

ur link shows schools who were interested in him, not actually made an offer.

his older brother, at the time, was playing at a prep school, waiting for an offer from a So Calif school.

Had WS not step up at the last minute, Klay’d have followed his brother’s route

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/w...ikely-play-warriors-season-steve-kerr-reveals

"It's unlikely that he's going to play this year," Steve Kerr recently told NBC Sports Bay Area. "So we have to understand that."

"You have to look at it realistically," the Warriors coach said. "I had an ACL [tear] in college, and I missed a whole season. Generally, an ACL for a basketball player is a full-year recovery, and if it's a full year for Klay, that puts them out for the season.

“We've kind of left the door open in case the rehab goes perfectly and the doctors say he can go. But the reality is, on April 1, that’s the nine-month mark. ... April versus nine months post-op for an ACL.

"We have to prepare our young guys to fill that role behind him, and when he gets back, whenever that is, hopefully these young guys now are developed and in the rotation and ready to really be contributors on a playoff team and we can get better," Kerr added.

"He's bored," Kerr said. "I mean, Klay loves basketball, he loves to play, so he's at the point in his rehab, three-plus months in, where his knee feels pretty good. He's not in pain. He can get out there and shoot around, but he's got to let it heal, and he can't run, he can't cut. So we'll see him in the weight room, in the training room, getting his work in.

“But I feel bad for him. You never feel part of it unless you're actually playing and with the guys, and he misses that."

Kerr and the Warriors find themselves in transition entering this season. With Thompson's absence, along Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala's departure and eight new roster additions, Kerr is adjusting to Golden State's new life in the NBA.

“It's very different," Kerr admitted. "There's a lot more teaching this year than there has been in the last five. Things that the last group would have known in their sleep, these young guys have never seen before, and so we are literally going back to the basics day in and day out."

Vivi likes this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha love how Kerr put down other reports including Klay himself. Anyone expecting him to be back was seriously kidding himself, this was always going to be a full year unless they are dumb enough to risk re-injury.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Sounds like GSW is being smart with a player they have locked up long term. No need to rush him back whatsoever.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

An ACL tear usually keeps a player out for a year. Sure, Klay could come back a little sooner, but it would still be right around when the playoffs start. He's not gonna be back by the All-Star Break.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member