1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Are you interested in selling your home?"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 22, 2019.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I am getting totally bombarded with calls and texts from home investors(?) wanting to know if I want to sell my home and/or my rental property.

They are robo-calls designed to sound like a real person leaving a message - complete with pauses and "uhs" so that it doesn't sound like someone is reading a script, which of course they are. And of course, they're coming from a different number every time so blocking them is no good. Usually goes something like "hi, uh...this may seem random, but I recently bought a property in your area and uh....I was just wondering if you're interested in an all-cash offer on your house. Uh....we close fast and....." etc. etc. etc.

What's weird is that the texts are mentioning my name and property address(es). Where are these fools getting that info?

Is this happening to anyone else?

ryan_98 and JamesC like this.
  2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Tax Office, public records.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://hcad.org/quick-search/

I've been getting the same for months.

Thanks, Ajit Pai. Funny how all the robocalls stopped when Obama was Prez, but now it's just too difficult to stop.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At least once a month.

I'm stumped what their business model is. Not unless it is making offers 75 cents on the dollar.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6. ima_drummer2k

Oh, I use that
    Oh, I use that site all the time to stalk my neigh...er, uh...research local tax rates.

But there are obviously TONS of records on that site. Surely they're not just calling everyone on it every day. Just wondering what's making them come after me so aggressively. Neither one of my properties has been on the market for over 10 years.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That's the reason right there. They probably target people with a nice chunk of equity who may want quick cash.

CCity Zero and ima_drummer2k like this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Other than the great point above by VooDooPope, they could also have it so automated that they don't even care. I haven't been getting calls much lately but get a nice pile of junk mail trying to get us to... Obviously that's a combination of actual realtors, and then random companies looking for quick transactions (probably similar to the caller types)

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Either 75 cents on the dollar or, maybe they're picking key locations that even if they pay close to market, they have so much capital that it'll be guaranteed quick returns. I mean it has to be one or the other (75 cents seems more likely), but I know in Austin area my ROI for my house's property value, has been ridiculous, what sucks though are the taxes.... Or these companies are preparing to own everything and lease. In real estate there's always money to be made, unless you're in an unfortunate area... Then that sucks

11. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, that would explain the cleverly-disguised robocalls. So annoying. The "quick cash offer" reference makes me think it's some company just looking to buy up properties for dirt cheap and then flip them.

The texts always have my name and rental property address which kind of creeps me out. I always just reply "150K, take it or leave it." That usually shuts them up. The property is worth about 120K. :)

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be surprised if it's much more than fifty cents on the dollar. Robocall means you don't need a high hit rate at all.

50% of value is really common as a baselike with things like coins and antiques that are kind of not very liquid.

Realtors get 6% and they dont have to lay out and tie up huge chunks of capital to get it, so 10%-20% doesn't sound like that great of a deal

Btw a couple of weeks ago I got 2 calls in the same day, same script, one male one female, so I doubt thet are putting that much thought into selection.

Where I live, there's a pretty good chance any sold house is a tear down/rebuild as condos or a McMansion. I've always attributed it to people who would flip whatever they got to developers, who are always churning for more lots but maybe I'm imagining too much.

#12 Ottomaton, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, thats great. They're like "we'll give you... Oh 95k" and you're like, "150k", lol I wish it was a real person seeing these, I'm sure it's all automated.

14. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, my rental is in a little neighborhood full of homes built in the 70's that is surrounded by new condos. I'll bet they are hitting up all those neighborhood home owners.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well... are you?

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I received a lot of them after some property deed transfers. I think they keep up with all real estate transactions from the county conveyance records. Most are online too which makes it easier to gather info.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The ones that hit me up ring once and then go to voicemail where they leave the robocall message. I assumed I was targeted because my neighborhood was flooded and lots of people came in buying up properties, but this was well-after most of the remodeling was done.

I ended up talking to a live person once on the other end of the call and BS'd with him for 20 minutes on my drive home. He was complaining how rude and mean people are when he calls; I was like uhhh you're calling unsolicited, you have to expect that to happen. He gave me an offer over the phone based on a Zillow estimate, which should tell you all you need to know about the companies making these calls.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

My parents beginning of this year paid of their mortgage and I'm the one getting the texts/calls asking to sell the house. It's not even under my name wtf.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Great now these people are running ads disguised as threads on Clutchfans.

20. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Probably not related to this thread, but on the same topic of scammers.

When I was 16, a few of my friends and I, through word-of-mouth, were hired at a "telemarketing" company that happened to operate inside of a small shopping center commercial space right outside of our apartment. They "sold" vacation packages. I was young, naive, and it was my first job, so with just a simple question of "Do you want to work here? We pay in cash" and no interview or formal contract of any kind, I accepted the job. Worked there for two days before realizing it was a scam for both the "potential customers" and lower-level employees. After 2 days, I just stopped showing up, and no one ever called to ask me about my whereabouts. Literally, 2 weeks later, they disappeared and space was vacant again. I also found out much later, that the owner had minions (who went to my school) who recruited kids around my age the time, and these minions would apparently get a piece of the "sales" made by kids they'd recruited.