1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zion out 6-8 weeks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Except that would never happen. The rockets would say “out a couple of weeks for precaution” then would say “probably 2 weeks away from 2 weeks away” then “oh, he might need surgery,” then “out for the season”

Let’s not pretend that we’ve ever heard “out for 6-8 weeks” 2 weeks after the initial injury. We’d be absolutely thrilled with that kind of communication.

2. omgTHEpotential

From Pelicans reddit, cliffnotes of the Athletic's story on the injury:

• They think Zion injured the knee in the game against Spurs though they can't pinpoint the exact action. Went through full practice two days later, then reported knee soreness the next day.

• Pels decided to give him what they thought was going to be a precautionary MRI, which ended up revealing the meniscus injury.

• Targeted weight loss is not part of his rehab plan and the Pels do not think his frame contributed to the injury or will be an issue moving forward.

• It says they think Zion will be itching to return faster than his 6 week floor timeline. Probably says that his timeline is very conservative

malakas, DreamShook and Vivi like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Pels dumb af for not making weight loss a goal.

B-Bob, FrontRunner and DreamShook like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pelicans Don't Believe Zion Williamson Has Weight Issue

Zion Williamson underwent surgery on Monday to repair a torn lateral meniscus and will miss six to eight weeks.

The New Orleans Pelicans don't believe Williamson's weight is a contributing cause to the injury. Williamson weighs approximately 285 pounds.

“Sources told me that the New Orleans Pelicans do not believe that it’s a weight issue for Zion Williamson,” reports Shams Charania. "They're not blaming his weight on the injury. There is 100 percent confidence within the Pelicans that this is an isolated situation."

Vivi likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

TBH, it's amazing (and a relief) that more injuries don't occur in the NBA.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pels GM David Griffin, pushing back on suggestions that weight has factored in Zion Williamson's knee injury, said just now after shootaround: "He's in elite condition"

To cap a lengthy answer about the type of unique athlete Williamson is, Griffin added that it's "just asinine" to pin Zion's meniscus tear on weight concerns

David Griffin tells us Zion is an elite athlete and in elite condition. Says weight wasn’t an issue in the injury.

Says Zion never had swelling the knee and wasn’t experiencing much pain. Still not sure when it happened.

Pelicans Exec David Griffin says he @Zionwilliamson first told him about his knee after the first practice after the Spurs game. Griff expects Zion to push to return before the 6-8 week timeframe

Moment Zion Williamson and the Pelicans decided to receive MRI on right knee: Zion reported tightness in knee Wednesday — three days after 20-10 game and one day after full practice day.

Vivi likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, if by "just asinine" he really means "just physics," I would agree. What a dumbass. Few joints can handle 280 lbs moving and cutting that fast and that powerfully, even in the NFL.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Oden vs. Durant 2.0
    Knicks should consider themselves lucky.

If it wasn't for ESPN hyping this kid up, no one would care.
    I guess I am not vowed by high flying dunks and bully ball as your main skill set.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well as a chemist, I don't know if I support the assertion that physics is asinine. ;)

I get what you're saying, and I think I echoed this in an earlier thread. The guy either has to change his game or his body, he won't have longevity doing it this way.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. omgTHEpotential

Except I'm not all that excited about Barrett, at all. Morant on the other hand...

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dude, the point is Injuries aren't so easy to diagnose. Stuff happens. You make a diagnosis. You wait and go back in. Diagnosis again. It's (almost) impossible to get all the information all at once. Some of you guys want that stuff immediately and that isn't how some of these injuries work.

Pelicans out here saying they don't even know when Zion's injury happened. If that happened here, they would call for the training staff's head.

12. SemisolidSnake

Perfect facepalm thumbnail. After watching these two videos, I could see myself getting really overly interested in these sorts of injury explanations, much like I got way too interested in local anesthesia when I fainted during a digital block on my right pinky getting stitches a few years ago.

I know we're talking completely different sports, but when I see "6'7", 280ish," the athlete I immediately think of is Aaron Judge who is that exact size and looks like and is an absolute goliath among baseball players. I'd really be interested to see how Zion and Judge compare in terms of gait and build and also how the playstyles of their respective sports put stresses on their bodies. Obviously, there's a ton less jumping in baseball, but there's also a lot more sprinting and twisting stress on the back. I think it'd be an interesting video, because neither of these guys seem built for the roles they're in.

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm gonna stand by my draft day hot take that R.J. Barrett is the one who is going to have the superstar career.

This is going to be Oden-Durant all over again.

Zion is amazing when healthy, but his 6-6 285 lbs body is not going to stand the test of time especially with the violent style he plays with a strong dependence on his athleticism instead of skills as a basketball player.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

If pelican believes weight is an issue, they'll address it with Zion internally and privately. No point in publicly admitting and borderline fat shame Zion.

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Let’s not pretend that the rockets staff only revises once, as the Pelicans have done with Zion.

Expecting a medical team to have uncertainties is normal. The idea that the diagnosis would change weeks after all testing has been completed is frankly wrong, and the reason a ton of fans hate our medical staff.

We shouldn’t be revising injury timelines 3,4 times. You wouldn’t expect that from your doctor for your health, and shouldn’t expect it from a full team of sports doctors either.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You have no idea what's going on in the room. You just assume Rockets incompetence because of your ignorance about the injury. You can continue to be angry about this stuff, that's your choice. Injuries happen. Nobody is out here trying to deceive anyone.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's how Jabba the Hutt looked like when he was a teenager :D

19. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Potential Espn 20 for 20 candidate

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hope he comes back healthy, love watching him play.

DD