1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Guy sounds like a loon.

2. msn

msn Member

Sorry it offends you, and I'm sorry that a minority of journalists have painted the occupation in a bad light for many of us.

But they have.

Sorry: but I rarely see pure journalism; I see editorialism poorly disguised as journalism, complete with shoddy research and omitting facts that don't support the prevailing narrative.

I know that's offensive to you, and you may very well be a diamond in an increasingly rough field. But, American journalism ain't what it used to be. I used to read it with an open heart and mind. Now, I wade through it with an open mind and sterile gloves, and I wash my hands afterwards.

As to the issue at hand, I struggle with it. If Osuna did it, it's unforgivable. But should he never be allowed to work in the field of his passion for the rest of his life? I don't know the answer. If MLB should not be an option for him, what jobs is he allowed to have? Did Taubman really run Osuna's evil behavior in those ladies' faces? Or did they seize an opportunity? I wasn't there; I don't know. But, just because a couple journalists said so, one of whom clearly has agendas, I'm not prepared to take their word for face value. The industry lost that trust, at least from me, decades ago.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fire him. Cut Osuna.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don’t like this whole idea of the virtue signallers demanding blood now.

Tell everyone that it will be investigated and dealt with in the offseason. If they are unsatisfied, they’ve revealed their colors as people who just want to hate on this franchise and organization, by making an unnecessary spectacle out of this during the most critical time of the season. The focus should be on the World Series, and woe to anyone who tries to tell the people otherwise.

Bearded13 and fiersdownbelow like this.
  5. elrond

elrond Member

Considering how most of the me too allegations have ended up, how there are(were) people like Jeffrey Epstein, Harvey Wentzel,Brett Kavanaugh and all of those other @$$hats, my tendency is to believe the journalists over the organization. Sexism is still alive and well, and everything is not equal, but I like to believe that we are slowly heading in that direction.

This is probably cases of douches being douches, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out if the account was 100% true. Hard to really determine the level of severity and whether the guy should be fired without a more thorough picture though. It seems like there were enough witnesses that they should be able to get a good idea of what happened, and I'm a bit disappointed the Astros just dismissed it out of hand. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the standard play book for dealing with these kind of allegations.

If this sentence from the article happened: "The outburst was offensive and frightening enough that another Houston staffer apologized.", it should be really easy to check and verify whether the reporter was making it up or not.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Senator

Senator Member

Your "meh" attitude is a huge reason why this same old story is played out over and over again in the same circles . . . quit making excuses for being a slave to money. You willingly put yourself in a bad situation . . .you weren;t born in north korea, take accountability for the results.

7. Senator

Senator Member

Your reading comprehension is not very good
    youre kind of like this female reporter in that you already have a narrative in your head and are making up situations to fit it in. Atleast she knows that will help sell her paper . . you've got no excuse

8. MystikArkitect

So we have a situation in 2019 where the Assistant Manager of the team that won the ALCS and had also been the subject of two fabricated storie, has yelled in the direction of multiple women, seemingly mocking them.

This happened during a celebration, where EVERYONE has their phone recording. Surely someone must've caught this on video. Not saying it didn't happen, but the whole story seems odd. And Osuna didn't exactly give him a reason to be happy about it. Dude blew the game.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...e-Brandon-Taubman-under-fire-for-14551952.php

Astros assistant general manager Brandon Taubman yelled in the direction of a group of female reporters during the team’s American League Championship Series clubhouse celebration on Saturday, three eyewitnesses — including two Chronicle reporters — confirmed on Monday.

Taubman was holding a cigar and standing with two or three other men when he yelled his comments, two eyewitnesses said.

The three female reporters were approximately eight feet away and one was visibly shaken by the comment, the eyewitnesses said. There were no players in the area and no interviews were being conducted at the time. The Astros statement said “an Astros player was being asked questions about a difficult outing.”

Nook likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe the reporters were there trying to talk about non baseball stuff, which is a bit sensationalistic. If he has already done his pennance to society, then he deserves a 2nd chance.

Same foe everyone.

DD

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must be the most naive child on the planet. Lol

btw Osuna defenders here reminds me of the worst part of being a sports fan, people that compromise their morals to keep their fandom.

I think Osuna is a POS but still support the team and admit it. They people that come up with excuses are just sad

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My guess is that during the postgame celebration those reporters were asking Osuna about blowing the save and also probably bringing up the DV incident; Taubman saw that and got pissed off (because he felt like Osuna should have been allowed to celebrate without being made to feel bad about his performance or past transgressions), so he “defended” Osuna by yelling at the reporters.

Mistake #1: acquiring a player with that kind of baggage.

Mistake #2: allowing reporters with an axe to grind into the postgame celebration.

Mistake #3: an asst GM engaging, in any way shape or form, in the situation.

Mistake #4: responding so quickly with a statement which carries a tone of indifference toward DV and female sports reporters.

#92 Snake Diggit, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  13. prospecthugger

I don't think the Astros are going to be trying to control which reporters have access anytime soon...

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Use Occam's razor here.

Either the guy was being a trolling shitbird, as all witnesses seem to agree, or there's some 8 dimensional chess explanation. Might not have even been intentional but obviously - it did not come across that way.

topfive and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If you’re going to have a wild alcohol fueled party, you need to be careful. They could have justified only allowing Julia (employee of the TV network) and MacT (mlb.com employee and team reporter). All other reporters don’t have any official relationship directly with the team.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People who use the phrase "virtue signalling" tend to send a lot more signals than alleged virtue signalling that they are obsessed with calling out.

Turn off Rogan's podcast for a second. There's something inherently OK and good about not being a d******d in society.

Call it virtue signalling if you want (ironically this comes from the political right, which feels like they have enough of a monopoly on virtue to write books about it and craft entire political movements on their superior virtues and values ) but there's nothing wrong with being a decent human being.

topfive, keeley, Nook and 2 others like this.
  17. prospecthugger

I don't know what the rules are regarding who is allowed where, but the MLB warned them once about restricting a reporter's access this season, I can't imagine they'd be very happy if they did it again right before the world series (assuming they have a right to be there by MLB rules). Lunhow would probably get a suspension for that.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Unless it’s actually true.
    I’m not saying it is. I hated the Osuna move then, I still do now, for exactly these types of reasons.

19. MystikArkitect

"Including one wearing a purple Domestice Abuse Awareness bracelet"

Had to just shoehorn that in there huh.

20. mightybosstone

If you want to criticize the state of journalism, that's totally fine.

I have no problem with criticism of the state of journalism as a whole. It's imperfect. There's far too much opinion disguised as fact, one-sided stories told to the writer's narrative and listicles pretending to be legitimate stories. But let's put a little blame on the massive corporations that own far too many of the newspapers nationwide who have watered down quality journalism by slashing their staffs and instituting a "do more with less" attitude. You can also put a little blame on the internet and the social media age that's replaced a daily news cycle with a news cycle that's updated by the second and an American consumer that reads tweets and headlines, but hardly ever clicks on the actual stories.

What I take offense with is not criticism of the overall industry, which is fair. It's with someone calling all journalists "dishonest scumbags." That's over the line. Journalists don't get into the industry to write flashy "gotcha" headlines or quick-hit listicles on the top 27 reasons you should watch this season of "The Bachelor." They do it because they want to tell stories, uncover injustice and hold those in power accountable to do their jobs.

I wasn't there either, but when multiple writers corroborate the story (especially from competing publications), and it's said that another Astros staff member apologized for Taubman's behavior, I tend to side with the writer here.

Look, I'm not saying this story is perfect or especially fair. It left out the context in which Taubman's rant came about. Also, it's clear this is more of an editorial than a traditional hard news story. But she did two things here that every journalist should do: She requested an interview with Taubman and she requested a comment from the Astros. They declined on both accounts. That's on the Astros. She gave them the chance to tell their side of the story. If they choose not to comment, that's on them. The Astros don't look great here, and they had a chance to get out in front of this thing and say "It was taken out of context, etc."

As for whether Osuna should be playing baseball or not, that's a different discussion. Personally, I don't think the guy should be. Or Chapman for that matter. That's up to MLB, not the Astros. And it's a bigger problem with professional sports as a whole, not just baseball. God knows the NFL has a much bigger problem when it comes to violence against women. That being said, it's up to the Astros whether they choose to have a guy like that on their team. And by adding a guy like that, you open yourself up to stories like this. You can't add a guy with a dark past and then get pissed off those few times a year where that dark past comes up in a story, especially if you have people on staff unnecessarily bringing that guy to the forefront of discussion (intentional or not).

Nook likes this.