1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Hunter Atkins, what a cuck. Why wouldn’t he be ****ing glad to have Osuna on the team? All in all the dude had a good season and was pretty impressive in the ALCS save for one pitch to LeMahieu. I’m pretty ****ing glad to have him on the team too, even if I have b****ed about a few blown saves before.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Odd timing for sure

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So, Saying Osuna's name in the presence of female reporters is a threat, intimidation, or what? Come on, now.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It doesn’t look good, but the fact that they came back so quickly with that statement with that tone makes me think they feel pretty strongly that they can prove the comments were taken out of context. Otherwise this will be one of the all time stupid PR mistakes in mlb history; asst GMs are not worth lying to cover up bad optics.

joshuaao, texans1095, Nook and 2 others like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Curious if Footer was one of the reporters. She always tweeted about violence against women every time Osuna came in. It got really old after a while.

texans1095 and Stormy1234 like this.
  6. Screaming Fist

I don’t know if he should be fired if what is reported is the extent of what he did, but the Astros shouldn’t have released this embarrassing statement.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's context?

jcf likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Sounds like time to cutback on press credentials if you ask me...

9. BonziWellsGOAT

What was embarrassing about backing your employee if you think hes in the right?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

11. Screaming Fist

Objectively, it doesnt make any sense to say what he said in that situation. Osuna gave up a game tying home run in the ninth and ore importantly, he hasn’t been as good as Giles following the trade.

Did one of the reporters make a snarky remark about Osuna they the exec took issue with?
    Otherwise it looks like an oblique reference by the exec to Osuna’s DV issues not mattering to the Astros

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Define bad?

Should he never work in baseball again?

Should he apologize?

Had he previously had issues with these reporters?

Also, am I supposed to watch what I say to someone because they are wearing a bracelet?

It was clearly a dumb thing to do but if this becomes the major story going into the World Series I might just watch the games on mute. You know they will bring it up every time Osuna comes into a game.

13. phasors28

phasors28 Member

This reminds of Yuli 2.0. At least it wasn't a player.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's an obscure thing to say out of the blue. But, there is no context. The real outrage and reason they even wrote this piece was because they were denied access to Taubman for questioning. They can't determine the context, therefore we'll make it fit our agenda and flush him out. That's the despicable part. Maybe Trump has a point about MSM.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can think of very few contexts in which yelling out the name of a wife beater for the apparent sake of his being domestic abuser at anybody is a remotely good idea.

It's not like he's field testing material at the comedy cellar at 2 am on a Saturday

Do you go around yelling "Ray Rice" or "OJ" at women or strangers or really anybody....? No? Yeah because you're not an idiot.

OvenToasted and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

UM....the guy is on the TEAM. He is the Closer on the team. Supposedly, it was in reference of him being on the team. I'm sure there was alcohol involved.

fiersdownbelow and jiggyfly like this.
  17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Shouldn't there be video? I definitely dont trust reporters to properly convey the context. Journalists are dishonest scumbags. How come not one of these journalists have said what this was in response to? was Osuna or another player asked about the blown save or did some journalist decide to ask in the middle of the party about Osuna's domestic abuse?

#37 tallanvor, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  18. SemisolidSnake

Well, the thread title has been changed from its previously deceptive one.

I'm not sure this is better, though: "Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D"

:D

No, I'm not taking seriously what a bunch of editorialists like this SI chick and Deadspin with their preconceived opinions looking to dredge up something out of nothing think. This thread and its now hilarious instead of inflammatory title will long outlast this non-scandal.

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I think you are over thinking this.

First I don’t think the Astros have any second thoughts trading for Osuna, he has overall done very well. When Giles last faced this same team as an Astro he left the field punching himself in the face. Giles is also the only person on the planet that didn’t get along with Hinch. The Astros had no respect or confidence in Giles. So saying “thank god for Osuna” makes sense in regard to the Giles deal.

Second, my understanding is that he said it will Osuna was talking to reporters and supposedly was saying it to support Osuna.

I found the mention of the domestic violence bracelet over the top. I highly doubt anyone with the Astros noticed. Second, pulling in the comment of Alex Bregman was insincere. He wasn’t talking about Osuna as a person but purely as a pitcher.

I would like to see video of it. If he really did heckle three women as they state, he needs to be severely disciplined or fired. Personally I wouldn’t want someone that thinks that is okay to do. However, I haven’t seen any video. Having a second reporter come forward leads me to believe the claim. I do think it is telling of our society that others saw it and they didn’t stick up for them at the time or write about it.

An organization has to be very careful when it comes to domestic violence. A strong organization can usually weather the storm of bringing in a guy with a single domestic violence issue if he stays out of trouble and the organization is responsible around him. In this case it isn’t even Osuna screwing up, it is an Astros executive.

As fans we can support the trade because it helps the team because we got him at a low price.... but we also have to acknowledge we have a player on the team that beat the hell out of a woman and we don’t really know if he is still doing it or if he still believes it is okay to hit women.

20. Nook

Nook Member

This is worse than Yuli if it is true. Yuli only looked so damaging because we saw video.