1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: Super Anti-Houston post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Oct 20, 2019.

1. apatel123

apatel123 Member

simmons upping his troll game to new levels

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This tweet has absolutely nothing to do with Houston.

I'm sure someone else has already pointed this out but Simmons' Ewing Theory is the idea that a team gets better when it's superstar* leaves. The Ewing Theories here are that the Colts get better when Luck leaves and the Nats get better when Harper leaves.

* which is then meant to call into question their superstar status in the first place. "Is ____ really a superstar if his team got better when he left?"

3. smp

smp Member

I think he’s the guy who started Def Comedy Jam on HBO. No? Then I don’t know who he is...

4. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Funnily enough, him creating Grantland was some of the best years of reading about sports I've ever had, and he introed Zach Lowe who is an incredible sports writer.

However, quality definitely went down with the Ringer, which is basically a big trolling news outlet at this point.

Grantland was the epitome of quality and trolling and is sorely missed in today's age of sports writing, its a shame he and ESPN had a falling out.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks. That tweet makes sense now

6. 34to11

34to11 Member

I'm guessing you haven't been following recent events concerning Bill Simmons and Houston.
    Ewing is just subterfuge.

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

seems its anti-colts and anti-nationals...

...i mean depicting them as losers like Ewing....

rockets13champs likes this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bingo. Y’all need to chill with this victim complex. This is just Bill being excited about his Ewing theory.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why should I care about what Richard Simmons thinks about my team?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I did listen to his West Conference preview pod where he said the Westbrook addition will be a big help, said Rockets are best in the league at picking up mediocre players and making them meaningful contributors, and that Rockets always win over the Vegas over/under so he thinks they'll win over 54 games.

Hell, he even said that Westbrook might be able to play off the ball successfully in Houston! How many people in the world have that level of optimism?

But yeah. I know we like to play the victim so feel free to do so.

rhee and harold bingo like this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

weird thread. this is pro-simmons not anti-houston. that said, quit paying attention to bill simmons who is completely irrelevant and exhausting imo.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

Play the victim??? What the hell are you talking about?

I was referring to something far more recent and a bit more personal with Simmons and it plays right into his surreptitiously spiteful/vindictive bent.
    If you want to dismiss it as a cosmic confluence of coincidences so be it.

But if you are familiar with Simmons you know the odds of even one such thing being purely coincidental are slim.
    Two in succession? Astronomical.
    Three in less than 24 hrs???

But, ya know...he picked the Rox to win 54 games so whatevs.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am not familiar with any personal issue between you and Bill Simmons but I hope y'all can work it out.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This makes a ton of sense. I still stand by my comments though, I don't take BS too seriously, but this seems like more toward his brand. With that said, you follow the guy for entertainment purposes, and that's it. Everyone's favorite show has the occasional unfunny episode. You have to be ok with that.

Haymitch likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yep, that is my sentiment as well. He's primarily for entertainment - and sometimes he isn't that entertaining.

Analysis-wise he often contradicts himself and IMO overrates everything about the Celtics, but I do get some insight from him on occasion. I don't believe for a second that he has a secret plot against the Rockets; Daryl Morey is a real-life personal friend of his. (I do believe that he thinks Tilman is crap though... but so do many CFers.)

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think he also loves to troll. He's aware of it, and he knows our fanbase will react too. With that said, he is far from the ESPN/TNT anti-Rockets contingent. He's like a 16 year old boy at times, and says crap to rile up people. He's the kind of guy that would scream "Pi is exactly 3.14" outside math club, then a day later play D&D with those nerds.

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Is he trying to make the Yankees sound relevant somehow with this thing - with a slight back handed way of using harden and Westbrook and the colts/Texans to discredit the Astros? Wtf?

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I thought Morey and Simmons were close friends? Making fun of his guys like that.... pretty weird.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

This

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

In his most recent podcat, Bill Simmons actually spoke in favour of Rockets.

rockets13champs likes this.