1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pete Buttigieg running for President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Trump supporter talking about handling the truth? You've stopped making sense.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pete is in 3rd now in Iowa. Hope he does well.

joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Saw that poll, good for Pete.

Can’t believe Steyer is even polling at all in Iowa.

Goes to show you billionaires can buy most things.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

interesting piece on Mayor Pete:

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpu...ive-points-lead-iowa-kamala-harris-collapses/

excerpt:

By the way, the secret ingredient in Buttigieg’s surge is the destruction of Kamala Harris, who was polling at 16 percent in Iowa when Suffolk checked in on the race in June and is down to three percent there today, tied with Tulsi Gabbard. She’s not the only candidate who’s declined (Biden is down six points too) but Harris’s implosion is spectacular, and still somewhat mystifying to me. She’s not a good retail politician, she’s way too slippery on the issues, but still — from 16 points to three? There must be plenty of former Harris voters in Buttigieg’s tent now, which I suppose stands to reason. If you were with Harris in June, odds are it was because you were uncomfortable for whatever reason with the big three. Now that she’s a nonfactor, many of those voters have transferred their discomfort to Mayor Pete’s tent.​

B-Bob likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The more I watch him the more he becomes the type of corporate Democrat I don't want.

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Every "moderate" candidate is framed in this way. What policies of his show that he is beholden to corporate interests?

Deckard and jiggyfly like this.
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The more I watch him he's become my favorite candidate. I think he would be right up there with Biden and Warren if it wasn't for his sexual orientation. Maybe the moderates know that Biden would be a loser and Pete is their best chance?

Deckard, jiggyfly and joshuaao like this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He wouldn't be a candidate without his sexual orientation. It's the only thing about him that stands out which is why people are calling him corporate. He's easily my favorite Dem candidate.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's a double edged sword. If he were straight he wouldn't have raised enough money to be where he was right now, but the biggest roadblock for him to overcome now is being gay.

10. Nook

Nook Member

This.

There is a sense of novelty or newness to him because he is a homosexual. It gives him an identity which is needed to standout in the pack of hopefuls. However it does limit his appeal and what no one discusses is that he doesn’t have the best qualifications either.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Harris slipped because she isn’t sincere and is extremely self serving to the point of being insulting. She is good as a senator where she isn’t overly exposed.

Hakeemtheking, RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Where is this idea of him being gay as an early advantage comes from?

Maybe the media attention is the plus, but I think if he isn’t gay, he would do better. There is still some inherit bias against being gay, and this election is still about who is the best at beating trump. That got to be weighting on people, especially moderate leaning democrats.

To me, his intellect, coolness and niceness persona is what give him an edge. Someone describe him as having similarity to mr Roger - I agree.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't recall Obama being cast that way Before his election. He later proved to be that of course.

Anyway, Medicare for all who want it is splitting the baby. It doesn't control costs which is one of the key features of Medicare. Everyone having it every which way is why we're here now.

His fundraising is also problematic.

Nook likes this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Medicare for all who want it is just a different mechanism to get to M4A. Even under his plan, the government would have the ability to regulate health care costs by “prohibiting health care providers from pricing irresponsibly by capping their out-of-network rates at twice what Medicare pays.”

As for fundraising, Pete is generating a lot of $200+ donations from tech workers and other white collar Americans. Their voice matters in the political process as well.

Which donations are problematic to you? Pete has received $90k from pharmacy execs. Sanders has received $36k and warren has received $44k. Does the extra $46k make him a corporate shill?

Deckard and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

You answered your own question, being different gave him more media coverage and that is an advantage. He didn’t have a great pedigree entering the race. While it gave him an initial amount of coverage, it has likely hurt him for winning the nomination.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s a somewhat obvious guess and with more coverage, you sink or swim based on your ability. You agreed that he has mass up these money due to him being gay. I don’t think it’s really that much of a factor, and that in fact overall it probably has hurt him already. He has had early success because he is able to swim, show he can endure and has the attributes to last. Presidential traits IOW. My suspicion is people want an alternative to the safer bet of Biden (too yesterday and too late) or to the much lefter wing is placing their bet and hope on him. And they would do so more BY NOW if not for him being gay. It is a negative overall factor already is my opinion.

Nook, joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

he raised a ton of money early for what was a fringe candidacy. There is a lot of money behind the gay community in Hollywood

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's a lazy cop out.

This corporate democrat label is a catch for anybody who threatens your favorite candidate.

What is a corporate democrat and why is he so bad?

I guess you hated the corporate democrat that was Obama?

joshuaao likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I dont agree with this at all I think he would be closer to leading if he was not gay, I think it disadvantaged him from the beginning.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Obama was not cast this way because the term did not exist and taking money from corporations was not a terrible thing.

This only happened as an attack on Hillary from the Bernie camp and it is now a term used for any moderate candidate who uses traditional fundraising.