1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st Impression of Harden and Westbrook Sharing the Court Together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 16, 2019.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. According to Tilman it was his call. He said recently that his front office basket ops had cold feet after running the numbers for a final time. Tilman said he told them to go ahead and pull the trigger. I believe this was his first major basketball related decision.

This can either be a brilliant move if they can find a way to make this work, or it will go down as the worst trade for the Rockets since Barkley. Not just because of Westbrook but the "future that was sacrificed" to acquire him.

Can anyone explain to me how our new defensive philosophy works by the way. Are we switching or not? What is Turner's plan? This is my biggest concern.

Mr. Clutch, D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was no big fan of the move to get him, BUT I don't agree with comparing him to Melo. (Okay, maybe in a per $ sense, but he's going to be a big part of whatever we do this year, for better or worse, and he's definitely not going to get cut!)

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

...and we can't cut him after 10 games?! :eek::p

$38,506,482
    $41,358,814
    $44,211,146
    $47,063,478

DaDakota likes this.
  4. thekad

thekad Member

The obvious failure that is the Westbrook trade will give Tilman sufficient cover to fire Morey and bring in a stooge as GM. We’re the Knicks now.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Can Westbrook run the point and Harden play off ball when they play together? Let Harden spot up since he's the better shooter.

MrSabotage, mathor and daywalker02 like this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I believe we will have similar sentiment of even more uh oh moments but I also feel like westbrook is too good of a player to not be able to start to have a spot.

I know mda wants to play him a lot but I would go with the idea here today and forward that westbrook is an awesome player that needs to be incorporated..

This means spot addition and use the veil of injury to work him in.

One play westbrook gets penetration kicks it to james next play he takes it to rim

They do those 2 things first then lots of play with westbrook feeding and working with gordon 2 man no harden.

Limited minutes 82 game mindset let westbrook be that extra..we dont need him chucking 3s. We know that he knows that we all knoe that. Give westbrook the ball let him get to rim and either get his shot or penetrate enough and do your westbrook stuff enough then shoot it or get the best player in nba a good shot. Money. This is easy. Oh yeah defend and get some fast breaks like we said. Downhill. We have westbrook. Stop being babies. Its 82 games. Geez people putting on immediate negativity are funny. Cmon DD and co get it together its 0-0 try to crack a smirk if you can..

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's always been true of Westbrook. His value comes from his creation/passing and scoring at the rim.

jamisonrocket likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are just gonna ignore Pauls 1st year?

James.B.H and mike2k132 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So was it chemistry or was it a guy who lost a step?

Forgot who I was talking to never mind.

mike2k132 and vlaurelio like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Name one stretch 5 who plays good defense?

Who in today's NBA consistently shoots a fade away 5 footer?

I really don't understand what NBA people are watching or maybe its using video game logic?

mike2k132 likes this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Doesn't need to be good, but at least decent, feel free to help me out.

Also doesn't need to be a fade away, but capella doesn't even straight up for a jumper when Westbrook feeds him the ball and the dunk or layup isn't there...

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is only one and he plays in Philly and most think he decreases his value by shooting from 3.

If the dunk and the layup is not there he needs to pass it out.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I just meant as a fit, neither fit Harden....

You just can't cram pieces together and say - work it out, there are complimentary components to consider.

DD

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, and once Durant and Harden left, OKC became HIS team - where he took the majority of shots, they struggled in the playoffs.

Westbrook is a great competitor, and hustler, but when other NBA players lock in during the playoffs, he diminishes big time.

HE CAN''T SHOOT - he is a poor shooter - and teams that hook up to volume shooters who can't shoot, don't fare well.

IMHO, he is a disaster for Harden, because Harden likes him and will try TOO HARD to get him shots, which he will brick......and Harden is too damned good to give up the ball to a guy who can run, but can't shoot.

Look at his game splits over the years, even with all those layups and dunks he still shot under 44%...every year.....he just can't shoot.

DD

GermanRoxFan and daywalker02 like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or everyone was getting older, trying to conserve energy while walking the ball up slowly.

16. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Biggest issue will be trying to get a lame-duck coach such as MDA to give a damn about pairing these two together.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

I love it

20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Wish i can like twice lol....i promise u man. Clutchfans dont know basketball i swear.

BigShasta likes this.