1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 28, 2019.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

There is only one whiner in this thread, pal

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah, no. I'm fine with the status quo. You're whining about not wanting to tip...

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I literally never took a stance lol

But I'm done, this isn't an interesting conversation, and you seem a bit fussy

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

You could build it into the price and still have a tip line for extraordinary service.

That way, servers still have an incentive to go above and beyond, but don't get stiffed by cheapos. They have that in Europe.

I think servers don't like this idea, because then they'd be taxed on a lot more because it won't be cash pocketed.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. BleedsRocketRed

Tipping for good service that you put time, hard work and effort into, paid attention and made me felt welcome? Absolutely.

Tipping because you need me to supplement your wage, or its becoming the new norm at fast casual restaurants? Get ****ed.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

this I can attest to...said it earlier in this thread months ago that the service I receive in Europe is consistently far worse than here in America...either damn near forgetting about u or coming with an “I hate my job and don’t want to be here” type of attitude...it can get atrocious

Nook likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That’s exactly what they do at the golf club we belong to. Built into the bill and there is a line for an extra tip

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'll disagree with you. I lived in the UK for about 16 months and traveled most of Europe. It's not that the service is bad, it's that there is a different mentality when it comes to dining. Especially in places like Spain, Italy, and France where it's normal to have a 2-3 hour dinner.

I will say that the services is a little worse, but it's not that bad.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Bullshit. Nobody does a 2-3 hour dinner with poor service. Hell, even here I rarely use a waitress during a game, because they're always running way too slow during busy service. I'll just go directly to the bar.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yes, it's common. The waitstaff isn't hovering and filling your sweet tea every 5 minutes and refilling your chips and salsa, you're supposed to be drinking wine or beer and gradually enjoying your meal.

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

I probably go out more than most here and, especially at brunches, we will stay 2-3 hours. But if they haven't checked on our mimosas every 10-15 minutes, I'm going to be pissed.

12. Buck Turgidson

We're talking about europe.

IBTL and rhino17 like this.
  13. Roscoe Arbuckle

They created the amuse-bouche, hors-d'oeuvres, tapas, appetizers, and the mimosa, among countless other things; all of which would & should require an attentive wait staff.

14. Buck Turgidson

100% disagree with this

BleedsRocketRed, IBTL and rhino17 like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

When I went to Paris it wasn’t that bad, but in several spots in London and other parts of the UK I can only describe it as terrible based off my own experiences

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Then go to counter service restaurants. I have ZERO idea where the disagreement would be. You know how hard it is to waive off a server?

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

It sounds like you're disagreeing with the fact that the dinners are 2 to 3 hours long, which is why the wait staff is less attentive. From my experience in Europe (limited), this would be the case.

We'd go in at 6 or 7, and not leave until 9 or 10. There was no "rush" to get tables in and out. From the looks of it, a table was only used once in the evening and no one else was sat there after. This was even at semi-casual burger places where they looked shocked when we said we didn't have a reservation.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure you can only waive off a server if they are on your team. Most will only waive them if they need to clear a roster spot.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member

true.
    Americans eat for good taste too but the experience is a utility.
    If we could have food injected and downloaded we might as a culture do away with eating all together.

I hate to think of europe or european dining as an insight into resource entertainment or 3rd world vs first world (or whatever scale we are using)

but i think the 'dining experience' for italians spanish french has largely been 'all theyve got' thing...thats to say a pretty slow existence in oftentimes an atmospheric setting..especially pre internet lets be frank in most locales around europe things were a tad slow. I remember being in france and having a minitel and canal plus was high living. They all wanted to eat mcdonalds and assorted garbage but the only real place to get it was city center insert name europe town.

You had the sidewalk doners and various kebabs creep out and especially in uk but I would argue that is back to what I said where things got progressive and more fast livin. Uk now feels like a 51st state. They are often more american than we are. They know all about usa and our biggest export - pop culture.

The real reason i believe is post war europe there wasnt much(still true to an extent) really to do in the crannies of bordeux etc. The dinner became the event.

And these guys take it next level. A wine with each course.

When there is nothing to do and the wines keep changing I can dig but i think we as a culture have too much stimuli going on in usa. Always have. Its about utility.

We are too bustle. I see the french and spanish losing some of that going forward.
    Still coffee shops and places to chill have way more atmosphere there. Starbucks here has tried to commercialize that void. i almost felt like having a smoke at starbucks in kroger the other day but its not the same.

Think about a nice bar or sidewalk cafe in europe vs a buffalo wild wings or even a place like kemah boardwalk. You arent sitting to sit and watch you are there for a utility. To eat. Consume some foosball if its buffalo wild wings..its consumption not atmosphere and enjoy the place.

Thats why you can sit in a bar in spain or london getting blitzed and WANT to he there. Its atmosphere.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You missed the point. It's not about the service being poor, it's about enjoying time with your company and not be hassled by the staff.