1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

(Aug 2018) Who is your internet/cable provider?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Aug 3, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I saw a recent article that ATT DirecTv has launched their last satellite. Guessing the next generation DirecTv boxes will get their content via ATT 5G. Interesting, if true.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Moved to a new house. We lost our ATT Fiber we had at the other house, no fiber in the ground at our current residence. Back to cable internet. :( sad times.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've had Google Fiber at our Southwest Austin house for a while now. Over a year, for sure. It's saving us around a $100 a month, maybe more, over what's now Spectrum (Used to be T/W Roadrunner), which we had had since moving to Austin in 1980, and includes more premium channels, with the premium channels having more "channels," ha ha. It's far faster, each TV gets it's own little DVR box, which doubles as a WiFi hotspot, you can record multiple channels at a time and watch what you've recorded anywhere you have that tiny box in your home. They provide their own router and set everything up without charge. The LAN speed to my PC is outrageously fast. I need a new PC in order to take full advantage. My main complaint is that they don't have NBAtv yet, and I have to stream League Pass. Not a biggie.

4. youknowme

youknowme Member

After about 13+ years on Comcast internet, made the move this year to Entouch Fiber. Getting 1GBs download AND 1GBs upload for about $85 a month. No complaints so far, but I did hear their TV service stinks (staying with DirectTV).

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Live in an apartment complex in Katy, where the only ISP is Entouch. Seems like every 2 months or so, the internet randomly goes down for a couple of hours, for no reason at all.

But Entouch is probably cheaper than the "brand names" of Comcast, AT&T, so there's that.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Looking like it is time to leave XFinity. I need to see what are the other area options

Rocket River

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slim pickings beyond Xfinity. Wish I could leave them myself. Good luck.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ATT - Offer is 49/170 and 69/230 - INTERNET: 50$ for 100 MBS
    DirectV saying 99 for internet and tv (185 channel)

Now to call XFinity and see what they willing to do to for me to stay

Rocket River

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Almost moved into a neighborhood with Entouch as the default internet/TV provider but I heard so many horror stories about its quality. Their deal with the builders in that neighborhood was absurd. Basically you had to pay them every month for 2 years whether or not you used them, then at that point you could write them a letter asking their permission to stop paying them because you don't use their service, which they could deny if they chose to.

It was crazy. I probably wouldn't have moved their anyway but that was the final nail in the coffin. Why would anyone agree to that? But, hundreds of families apparently did because that neighborhood was pretty big. Westheimer Lakes I think it was called

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, I'd definitely consider non-Entouch ISPs if I could, even if they'd be more expensive. I really do not like Entouch.

11. youknowme

youknowme Member

I had the same hesitation before I moved from Comcast to Entouch for internet. The guy I spoke to openly admitted that while their TV and coaxial internet is spotty, there are really no issues with their fiber. I've had it for about 4 months with no issues/downtime (knock on wood). Would not trust them for TV regardless though.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Always heard about the billing problems with Comcast and now I know first hand. After I flooded in Harvey I quickly signed a 6-month lease on another house. I called Comcast, my existing vendor, to get service at the new address. I didn't want to turn off the internet at the old address because it was useful to have service during the renovation. Now came the fatal mistake. I moved back home. Instead of canceling the new service at the rental (12-month contract at a better rate), I canceled the old service and executed a move of the new service to my home address. Now, when I pay my bill using the correct account number, they nevertheless credit the money to the old, closed account. So, every couple of months, they call to threaten to cut off my service for nonpayment and I have to explain to them how the money goes to the wrong account and please move it to the right one. Sometimes they send me refund checks on the overpaid closed account. I tried working with them to fix the problem a couple of times, but I've given up because that conversation takes forever with no payoff. They always think I must be doing something wrong on my end. I might just have to switch to escape their billing platform.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Still on Spectrum unfortunately.... 400 down so can't complain there, but 20 up so hosting is useless. I've been researching building pfsense box, I already run all my own equipment (probably why I have good wifi and quality internet uptime etc., also ran own coax directly to modem and no splits).. Anyway, anyone running their own pfsense setup or alt Linux options?

The thing that's stupid is at&t still hasn't got gig here yet... And they have their silly sales people/door to door people trying to explain to me they can give me "100 megabyte internet" (they can't here, it's 100 megabit...) I then ask them if they know the difference between bit and byte and their eyes gloss over.

Max I can get on Spectrum is 480... So I guess still no complaints vs what I've heard from others.

And yes, entouch sucks

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So I can say Suddenlink sucks as well now.

They're offering a promo offer of 400mb with unlimited data for 39.99/month for life now, which is double my speed currently with a 300mb cap that's $20 more. The only thing is, is you have to be a new customer. So, I call in to see if could switch my plan to that. They tell me no, but I can upgrade for the same speed for an extra $20. Wot?

It doesn't make any sense if it's offered for life, why wouldn't I be able to switch to it? Im no longer on contract and go month to month, so I don't see the big deal if they're going to offer that deal for LIFE!

I then ask to switch to another person's name and create a new account, they again tell me no since there's already an account at the address. I told them I would cancel my current account and have the person to enroll in the new promo offer and again they say no, it would be flagged and wouldn't be able to. That to me is some straight up bullshit.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hahah, definitely agree, so on spectrum they have a local store, I renewed online under my wife's name and brought stuff there right after. I stated I was "moving". Unfortunately it only bought us 12 months now I'm back to being ****ed.

What's bullshit is if I moved a mile away for at&t or 20 miles (for Google) I'd have gigabit. What's even more bullshit is that if I switch zip to said location... Is it's $29.99 a month locked for 3 years at 400 (the best they'll offer me under a new name is 12 months locked for $65 at 400). I hope we get some competing companies coming or... True 5G arrives. The more competition the better... Unfortunately still very regulated (with regards to providers in an area). That's why true home 5G will be the end of this. You'll be able to switch (assuming coverage), unfortunately we'll probably be screwed for a while.

Oh well it could be worse... Anyway, I'd just say **** them and try it. I don't think they can flag an address assuming you "move out". Haha, I had this whole bs story made up, but it surprisingly was easy... What sucks is the time wasted. But I mean 3-400+ a year in savings adds up (especially with the electric company switching dance and various providers) - can turn into thousands easy year/year.

I'm just glad it's unlimited, so I don't have to worry about that...

donkeypunch likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Welp, my xfinity bill just shot up $39%, from $61 to $112. When I called to complain and possibly cancel, they were finally able to "lower" it to $86, (after 30 minutes of crap) which is still a 28% increase, so I told them to pound sand.

Looking around, best deal I've seen is with Verizon 5G is $70/mo. including all taxes & fees. Also gives first 3 months free, so it works out to $52.50, which looks to be the best deal.

Anyone else use Verizon 5G?

#56 Roscoe Arbuckle, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  17. Buck Turgidson

Northland Cable at 1 of the houses.

The jinkiest bullshit service you could ever ask for. Highly recommended if they're the only option you have.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am getting rid of ATT next month.
    I cannot wait

Rocket River