1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingLeoric, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    76.8%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

So no to 90% of the world?

If you think mainland China loves black people, you are sorely incorrect.

malakas likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

delete.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This is a very badly constructed question as many people are living paycheck to paycheck and 15% of their income would destroy their ability to survive

Now, consider you are in the upper echolon of wealth income.. I'm sure many wouldn't mind a 15% cut.

China has legit concentration camps and serious human rights abuse.

Are you saying you are in support of those in Hollywood during the 40's who supported nazi's because it got them in good graces with those that gave casting roles/jobs/money?

Are you saying you are in support of those who decided not to rat out Harvey Weinstein because of the potential income loss even though many were already wealthy?

I also know that if I'm going to choose to make public comments and offer my opinions throughout the nation regarding social justice while plastering MLK quotes all over my twiiter feed FOR YEARS that when the time comes to set the example I BETTER NOT OBJECT to sacrifice 15% of my income for a world rights issue

#83 Realjad, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Agree!

Signed,

Neville Chamberlain

malakas likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

1) If they feel that way then hell yes, they won't get a damn dime from me. Why would you donate money to people who hate you?

2) When the hell did I ever say that?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Morey didn't "learn more about the situation"..... what happened is that his employer got pissed because it cost them money.

If Morey suddenly didn't support the Hong Kong protests, he would have said so....... he went out of his way to NOT say that.

Honestly you will find very few people in the West that do not support Hong Kong, and those that do are doing so for financial reasons.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Facts are that mainland China has 2,000,000 of their own citizens currently in concentration camps against their will.

Facts are that China is actively taking away more freedoms from mainland China.

Facts are that China wants to take rights away from those in Hong Kong and that is why there are protests.

People that have experienced freedom don't want to give it up.

All the CCP cares about is "sovereignty" over every other basic human right and it is disgusting, especially when they use force to get groups that don't want to be part of China to be part of China.

It is disgusting and the last two countries to do that were Stalin in Russia and Hitler in Germany.

BaselineFade and slothy420 like this.
  8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Americans are being mistreated right here in our country. Let's not forget. Our country should be grateful people only have to deal with kneeling and silent protests. We are hated all over. Get called monkeys and chimps in Honk King, China, etc and we're called the same by Americans here in USA. I have zero respect for anyone focusing more on what's happening overseas vs what goes on here. Im sure some of you would give 15% of your income to a bunch of people who don't give a **** about you. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. They're over there "dying" with all this hate still in their hearts. Damn shame.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I misunderstood. I thought you were inferring that Hong Kong is racist and China isn't.

FWIW In my experience it is like 90% of the world and it is revolting. I thought at first it was an American issue until I lived outside the USA and traveled extensively and met lots of life long friends. The amount of hatred for people that are "black" is really bad, far worse in places such as Russia, China, large parts of the Middle East.

malakas and BaselineFade like this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The facts are, the protesters of HK would rather be ruled by the British than the Chinese right now. The British. The same imperialistic group that went and colonized everyone they could around the planet. The same people who got mad at us for throwing some tea into the ocean. The same people who set up the ongoing conflict between Pakistan and India. Those dudes. They want to go back being under the rule of those guys.

malakas and Nook like this.
  11. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I hear a lot of people say this
    I have expressed my opinion on the paycheck percentage argument in a previous response don't feel like to post it again.

And to your 2 questions my answer is no.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The argument is do you want a foreign autocratic regime having so much influence that they in effect limit speech in western democracies?

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This has to been one of the dumbest arguments I've heard a while.

We are talking about an athlete who has a lifetime contract with Nike alone worth upwards of a billion dollars.

Also, the money thing goes both ways. How much extra money has LeBron made from selling to woke millennials and suburban whites kids because he champions social causes which is a huge purchasing trigger for that demographics?

"More than an athlete."

Influence is often more important than money. LeBron is about to learn this lesson the hard way. China may have a lot of money to offer, but it's not a trendsetter in style and taste.

Once you become "uncool" to millennials and Gen-Z, it's gonna be very hard to sell $200 sneakers with the word "equality" on them. LeBron traded short term financial gains in China at the expense of damaging his brand and diminishing his influence as currency -- that alone is worth more than 15%.

malakas likes this.
  14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that Lebron will lose to much support among the youngsters. The narrative is already shifting.

For the past couple of days i am hearing more and more African Americans saying " hey wait a second, what about us?" First Take discussed this issue as well this morning. To put it bluntly, a black athlete having to take the brunt of this while issues in his community(black) were basically ignored by half of the country isn't going to sit well with minorities, or with socially aware white folks. CEO's and politicians being able to skate by with no criticism and continue to make huge profits in China while Lebron is destroyed in the media may backfire on his haters. The racial undertones to this debacle may actually work to his benefit among his target audience. This may even galvanize his supporters.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I’d actually have a tough time sleeping knowing I gave up 300k.

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Hell no, **** hk

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly this is disingenuous silly reasoning.

LeBron stating that he supports the freedom of Americans to express their opinion without the fear of a foreign autocratic regime using their leverage to restrict speech of American citizens doesn't magically take away time from the causes he cares about.

It's a dumb argument. He doesn't have to comment on China. What he shouldn't have done is say that Daryl Morey is hampering his desire to maximize profits because he tweeted his support for a cause he cared about. That is actually morally reprehensible and LeBron should feel ashamed.

Nook and ghettocheeze like this.
  18. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Yes, if i make millions of dollars then YES....But when i am making $8/hr and you want me to give 15% of it away? How about FU?

Nook, daywalker02 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree. I'm just stating that a different backlash may be brewing. I probably consume way too much NBA media. But this theme is being echoed on talk shows all over the country today.

Check out the last few minutes of the second segment. Lebron has a savvy PR team as well. I have no doubt that are reaching out to media outlets to get this side of story into the atmosphere. It's actually a smart move, and the best way that he can maintain his image among his fan base.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Not a one of you donated money to jack. Fake white knighters.