1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dare I Say...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Atlanta has the worst defense in the NFL.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Y'all don't forget to give this guy his due...

[​IMG]

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

And only 1-2 vs teams with a pulse ("winning teams")
    Yesterday was a good start. Now keep doing it.

29 games(28 starts): 18-11
    Playoffs: 0-1 (2018: L 21-7 Colts)
    vs teams that finished with winning records: 5-10
    vs teams that finished with losing records: 13-1
    Home: 10-5
    Road: 8-6
    vs AFCS: 6-3
    vs everyone else: 12-8

It was funny watching Bill O'Brien apologists puff their chests after the Chargers game (Same Chargers who are 2-4, same Chargers who lost to Devlin Hodges(who?) yesterday) and the Falcons game (same 1-5 Falcons, same Falcons who lost to Cardinals). :D

#63 J.R., Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, the Falcons are a bad team but the Chiefs aren't. They played the Chiefs dam near the exact same way as they did the Falcons. Plus, despite all of the magic that is Mahomes, they almost made him look mediocre in how they limited him 8n the 2nd half. This is why I think O'Brien has pulled it together with the team. He even threw a perfect challenge flag(even though it didn't change anything).
    Yes, BoB has looked lost in the past, but yesterday he actually outcoached a dam good coach in Andy Reid.

Uprising likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Coming from you, this is encouraging. I assume you have coaching experience with which to evaluate.

raining threes likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, I have a little experience. But I had to quit because I coachbadlee.

arkoe likes this.
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Maybe BOB has been doing OJT and just hit his stride. If so, the process has been painful. For the fans at least.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There's undoubtedly been this and that frustration with BO'B over the years; I get it. And I know, win or lose, there's a segment of fans who do not like the guy (which I get, too because he can be a real dick). But! To be fair to BO'B, I don't think anything he did prior to Watson walking through the door matters anymore. You may not be able to move on from Osweiler, or Mallet, or - whatever. It was bad and my BDW4 assessment of BO'B would be poor.

But ADW4, BO'B is 18-10 (with Watson starting); that's a 10-win pace. So while it hasn't always looked pretty, and there've been some real head-scratching moments, 18-10 is a very good stretch in which the most egregious black eye for the vast majority of fans - by far - is a single game: the playoff loss in which they, up & down, looked woefully unprepared.

So it's rather ironic, and rich, that those same fans - the ones still steaming over that one playoff loss - are screaming, "IT'S ONLY ONE GAME!" after this weekend.

*That* was my point.

Why did you place "successful" in quotes? Do you not think 18-10 is successful? People like to call fans like me a BO'B apologist, etc. But, really, I'm not. My issue is with fans calling the head coach of a team that is 18-10 "terrible" - that just doesn't sit well with me and I don't think it's a remotely defensible position. This doesn't need to be only extremes. There can be some middle ground. He's OK. He's had some really good moments (this weekend) and some really bad moments (wild card game), and a lot of good/bad in between.

I think he's above-ish average/average. Seems to be getting better... But just because I don't call him "terrible" does not mean I think he's great.

And, now we're calling BO'B "dumb."

I don't disagree; but this is what a lot of you do - you move the goal post and "yeah, but..." away success. When the season started, that Chargers game was a big test. "Yeah, but... the Chargers aren't very good." Then the Chiefs game became the measuring stick. "Yeah, but... it's not a division game." If they win Sunday, I have no idea what the "yeah, but...' will be - but I'm fairly certain there will be one.

At some point, you and the many fans like you need to admit that none of these are really measuring stick games; they are instead weapons to use against BO'B that become "yeah, but..." causalities when they don't deliver the loss you're craving so you can hammer BO'B.

raining threes, mario_v and Blatz like this.
  9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Actually had a buddy say early in the Chiefs game, "I hope they get run out of the building...one step closer to firing O'Brien." That's really what it comes down to; would you rather see the Texans win or Bill O'Brien get fired?

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm still not a huge BOB fan, but I enjoyed the hell out of the Chiefs game and I'm not going to poo-poo it off in any way. I'm certainly not going to pull for the team to lose so the coach gets fired. I prefer to have the team win as many games as possible (against good teams, bad teams, by 1 point or 50 points, I don't care) in order to have the best chance in the playoffs. Then let's see what happens.

That being said, if I owned the team, I would maintain my wait-and-see attitude until the playoffs start.

conquistador#11 and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Dude. This. Been called the BOB apologist as well. I feel like that may be better suited for some posters on here, but I don't feel like I am one. This was a great post that just plucked most of the thoughts out of my head. I'm more annoyed with how and what people complain about rather than WHO they are complaining about.

Read the Chiefs forum, calling for Andy Reid's head. Can you imagine what this forum would give to trade the two coaches right now?! I bet you anything there are posters over there that would gladly take BOB and give us Reid.

Love the "move the goalposts" analogy. Know that you are not alone in this middle-of-the-spectrum non-extremes viewpoint.

raining threes, mario_v and Hey Now! like this.
  12. Hey Now!

Yep; and they'll deny it, of course. It doesn't mean they don't want the Texans to win - it just means they want BO'B to lose more. Competent - and winning - BO'B leaves them nothing to b**** about and that's not something they're comfortable with.

raining threes and mario_v like this.
  13. Hey Now!

There's exactly one - 1! - unassailable NFL head coach, and he's probably the greatest head coach in the history of professional sports. The rest of them make a ton of mistakes and frustrate their fans weekly. Some more than BO'B; some less. But none of them are infallible & many of them do the exact same things that drive the BO'B haters crazy (seriously, watch *ANY* third-and-long situation in the NFL; the VAST majority of the time, it's a draw or screen).

If you REALLY loved the Texans, this weekend should've been football heroin because it was BO'B firing on literally all cylinders: playcalling, decision-making, challenges... Instead, we get the usual, "yeah, but..." WHAT ABOUT THE '21 DRAFT????? NOT A DIVISION RIVAL!! etc., etc. They are so transparent and obvious, I have to think a small part of them are just playing the part because they can't possibly be that oblivious.

I think BO'B is OK; but if the BO'B from Sunday is the standard going forward... that is a very intriguing development.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I agree. BoB for the chief game did exceptionally well.
    But U can't fault people for questioning Gm BoB though. he's has two different role, regardless of how well he coached a game, he can still be questioned or criticized for the clowney trade (Sht in my opinion) and the other Lt trade, hyde, johnson trade.

U find it irritating that there are "haters" always out for BoB regardless of the game's outcome? I find it irritating that for some of u on this site, BoB can do no wrong and he's the best coach for our franchise.

The man is pretty inconsistent as a coach. One game we played like we don't have tight ends (Panthers) and the next they are vital to the offense (chiefs). All in all, if we go far and manage to win a ring with Watson leading us, pretty sure many will admit we were a bit harsh on BoB.

His stats honestly doesn't scream good coach, more like mediocre/average.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I still go back to my analogy of fixing your own house versus paying someone to fix it. Especially after hearing about fans being unhappy with Reid.

If you do your own work, it may appear great to others from the outside. But if you're like me (and fans of sports teams), when I do my own work, I know every single minute miscue that I had when completing the work. I focus on them, even though to others, the work looks great.

If I pay someone (as in, another team's coach), I don't know where they struggled, and I'm usually happy with the results. So, from afar, without concentrating on the negatives, I may be happier with their work rather than my own, even though deep down, I didn't cut any corners and do the work right. I can't always tell you that they didn't cut corners because I don't know all of the ins and outs of their work.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Andy Reid ran a QB sneak with Mahomes, bad ankle and all. End result: Dislocated Knee Cap. I don’t want to hear about Andy Reid as a coach again.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That post was more of a "is O'Brien better than we think?" than a fluff up of Reid.

18. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

First, let me say that my prediction of 7-9 will be wrong because I had no idea that Andrew Luck would retire two weeks before the season started, and I thought that the Falcons and Chiefs would be better than us, and I was wrong about that. I have to give credit to the coaching staff for the Chiefs game, that was one of the best coaching performances by BoB that I have ever seen. I will also say that BoB has been fortunate that he's been in an incredibly weak division. Let's take a look at what each team will project for the AFC south the rest of the way. The Jaguars are done this year, and they just traded away their best player so they are tanking the rest of the way. The Titans don't have a QB and will likely finish with 6-7 wins this year. The Colts will more than likely be an 8-8 team that will come up short of a a wild card spot. Then we have the Texans who have four games left against teams with a pulse. If and when the Texans make the playoffs, we have to start winning playoff games, otherwise, the whole notion of winning a weak division is going to become pointless without some playoff success.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. I think the Colts are a wild card team. I can see them beating out the Bills or Raiders. They have a good enough defense along with a good running game. Not to mention, Brissett doesn’t really turn the ball over.

UTSA2step likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the coaching is as good as it was in the Chiefs game I think they can go deep in the playoffs.