1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Can the Rockets now go back to being the HOUSTON Rockets? For a decade + now I feel like the team belongs more to China than the actual city it is supposed to represent.

If this situation can get the heart of this org back to the homeland, I’ll be a happy camper. I for one have been sick of my hometown team being more interested in representing Beijing than H-Town in recent years.

RocketJedi, RasaqBoi and malakas like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Led by...Lebron James.

RasaqBoi and malakas like this.
  3. Possum

Possum Member

Just proof their scared.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lebron has purposefully and actively chosen the activist path. He could have "stayed quiet" throughout his career and clearly been more about the money. He might have gotten some heat here and there for that, but it would have been his prerogative.

But to choose the course he has, then to be so clearly $$ first in this situation is sad.

If he felt uncomfortable last week in China, the solution was very easy. Leave. Just a preseason game. Only there purposefully for $$, $$$ and more $$$$.

DM was clearly "in the wrong" for making the tweet, when he made it, and how he made it as a tweet, from a professionalism perspective. But he made it. Once made, it was done. There's no going back. Whether he should still be the GM or not, whether he should resign or not, whether whatever. It was made, probably without a lot of forethought, but also probably because he legitimately believed it wasn't a complicated topic, even though everyone and their mother are now trying to pretend it is. It's not complicated, the people of HK want more freedoms and democracy... the end. DM probably didn't put a lot of forethought into it, not because he was uneducated, but because the history of the situation is relatively irrelevant... we know what side is the "good" side regardless of the history. It's why the article ends with "Morey won’t face any discipline from the league, which seems like the right call, since his message ostensibly showed support for human rights and democracy."

Pizza_Da_Hut and malakas like this.
  5. AirPower

AirPower Member

DM was in the wrong because it upset China and could cost the NBA revenue? Or was it wrong because there is actually no human rights violations occurring in China and the protesters are actually in the wrong?

If it's the former, then you could call it a lot of things, but I don't think wrong is one of them.

The NBA makes a big deal about standing by human rights/freedom of speech/etc, but if they trade those principles for revenue in China then it's the NBA and the players that are wrong and extremely hypocritical.

It seems more apparent each day that it's just all about the revenue with the league and many of the players that are speaking out against DM. The positions they take domestically aren't about right/wrong, they're about revenue just like the ones they take abroad. It's some woke bullshit designed to get media attention and generate revenue, it's all just a bunch of grandstanding.

If it wasn't grandstanding, if they were actually taking principled positions, then they wouldn't leave those principles behind the second revenue was threatened. By doing so, it exposes it all as profit motive.

And, btw.... I have no problem with them being profit motivated, I just don't appreciate the inconsistency and dishonesty.

#85 AirPower, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

Not. They wouldn't be. The NBA has built a culture of allowing players and personalities to say what they think on social issues and politics. Punishing a player, coach or GM for doing what Daryl did would completely undo all of that, and Silver knows it. If Lebron or any other NBA players had the guts to risk their bottom lines a little more and the moral compass to support a just (and common sense) cause, they would be supporting Morey right now and his statements right now instead of shunning him. It's easy to support causes when there's zero repercussion to your comments. Let's see Lebron and other league personalities do it when their inflated paychecks are actually on the line.

malakas and AirPower like this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Lebron can go stick his head in the mud he is a coward for not speaking up about Kap but will come at Morey for speaking what he felt he had the right to say.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. JayZ750

He was in the wrong from a professional standpoint. He's an employee of Tillman Fertitta, and indirectly the NBA. A professional, especially one of his stature and in his specific position, would have put a lot more forethought into his actions, given his employer forward notice, etc.

I have absolutely ZERO problem that he tweeted it... I just have problem with the process of how/when he did it. Like Lebron's "decision" - all good, if Lebron wanted to go to Miami, no problem, but the whole spectacle that was the "decision" was the problem.

DM clearly put almost no thought into the impact of his tweet. He deleted it very quickly, and came out and effectively apologized. Not even he himself stood up for what he had said. Even he would say it was "wrong" how he went about it.

As an aside, I absolutely believe the best move for DM right now is to no longer be the GM of the Rocket. His issue actually very similar to Lebron's issue. He just signed a 5 year contract extension paying him $8 million a year. There's no way he's walking from $40 million. Nor should he. Smartly, he's keeping quiet.... If I'm Tillman, I work with DM to get him out. Give him $30 million. Joint statement - he wants out, yada, yada.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why do you believe it's the best move for Morey to resign or, rather, not be the GM? Genuinely curious.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Where did you see this effective apology? All I saw is "sorry China for having fragile sensibillities, not sorry for what I have said".

The best for him is to resign now, and go out on his own terms but the best for Tilman and the league is to force him to stay and fire him when the national media's attention has moved on.

11. JayZ750

I think there's lots of people in the league, that even if they agree with him on a principals basis, won't be able to separate DM the GM from DM the guy who started a whole ****-show fiasco that has impacted their lives, and especially their pocketbooks, VERY DIRECTLY.

And that includes his owner and boss, too. Imagine you effectively f'd up at work in a way that at a minimum cost your company 4x your annual salary for the first year, and in enterprise value might have impacted the value of the company by 10%-20%. Now imagine being in a meeting with your boss/owner. You might be the smartest dude in the room, you might have ways to slowly, slowly help the organization get that value back, but in the back of everyone's head, it would always be that one f'up you did.

Certainly, in the short term, every call DM makes to agents, every call he makes to other teams GMs, every media interview, every EVERYTHING, will be about China.

In short, but for the $40 million he's owed, I think he's created a HUGELY stressful situation for him that can't be good for his psyche. And a situation that actually makes it VERY hard for him to do his job effectively.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. JayZ750

I think people fixate on whether someone actually uses the word apology or not. So when I'm saying he effectively apologized, I'm saying exactly what you are. He's apologizing for what happened. He didn't mean for it to happen that way... as he clearly said. He's not apologizing for supporting free speech, or freedom in general. But he's still apologizing for his tweet.

13. malakas

malakas Member

But no.I absolutely am not saying the same thing as you.
    He didn't apologise for free speech and he also didn't apologise for the content of his tweet.
    He never said I don't stand with HK.

The only thing he apologised was that he didn't know that China would be so thin skinned and get hurt feelings.

14. JayZ750

What he said was "I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China". He apologized for the reaction.

I'm not over-complicating this.

jcf likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

He clarified that he didn't have ill intentions. But nowhere did he apologise for the content itself.

The content of his tweet was not " I hate China **** them commies".
    It was "Stand with HK".

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets had gone from the Houston Rockets to the Beijing Rockets who just so happen to play in Houston equipped with different variations of jerseys that looked like tablecloths at the local Chinese spot...u hate to see it

dobro1229 and malakas like this.
  17. JayZ750

Yes, I know, I've literally said that multiple times now. It's still, effectively, an apology. It's why some articles said: "Houston Rockets GM Apologizes For Tweet Supporting Hong Kong Protesters". https://www.npr.org/2019/10/07/7678...zes-for-tweet-supporting-hong-kong-protesters

And even though that article is off base in its title, at the same time, one of the literal definitions of apology is: "a regretful acknowledgment of an offense". which is exactly what DM did in his follow-up tweet.

18. malakas

malakas Member

But what offense?
    To aknowledge it you first have to admit it. He didn't admit he made an offence. He only said that he didn't have bad intentions for his opinion to hurt others. He never said that his opinion is an offence in itself.

I don't know wht to tell you really, but if someone apologised like that to me, I would be even more pissed of than before.

19. JayZ750

DM on Twitter: "I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China"

Not sure what else to say here malakas? His first word literally (as those were his first words in the tweet) were textbook the definition of what an apology is.

I get what you're trying to say. Which is if someone said something that really offended you, and then apologized by saying I didn't mean to offend you, but I still mean what I said, you'd be pissed and not accept the apology.

Which is what's happened. China didn't accept DM's apology, or Tillman's. It's still an apology though. In the same way the dude apologizing to you is probably effectively saying "I shouldn't have said that"... "I did, and I can't take it back because I believe it, but I shouldn't have said it".

That's what DM effectively apologized for. He wish he didn't say/tweet what he did. He's sorry to offend.

20. malakas

malakas Member

I personally didn't blame the CCP for not being happy with that apology.

As you said in the essence of the matter, DM never apologised.
    But he also didn't admit that he shouldn't have tweeted it. He never said that it wasn't his place to say it and it doesn't fall into the freedom of speech - as the CCP claimed.

The way I read this tweet is that" it's not my fault if you are hurt by my words, they weren't meant as an insult".

Anyway it doesn't matter at this point does it?