1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, definitely was a PI even the commentators thought it was gonna get overturned. They didn’t call it but gave us a make up on the next play.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

When you are an underdog on the road you gotta take some chances. If you watched how the game was going they had no chance of stopping us. Their defense was pretty much on the field the entire second half. I thought it was the right move.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

On challenges, O'Brien is relying on others. Thats not an excuse but only because he is ultimately responsible for the people he relies on.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There was an article a couple of days ago saying that coaches were 1 for their last 22 when challenging PI calls.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

For informational purposes it was a pick play. And it was a pick that was the interference called on the next play

As the other guy said Dan Fouts was confident the refs would call it

6. bobrek

If I remember right, the article talked about how the reviewers were inclined to not reverse the calls unless they were grossly inaccurate.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know if you're criticizing BOB for not knowing or just making a point but the great Andy Reid lost a p.i. challenge also.

They talked about the numbers on the game also and talked about how controversial the rule change was in discussions to do it.

The coaches will learn.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It was definitely challengable and a very good one, frankly. It should've been overturned. That felt like such a huge, game-swinging play at the time: with an overturn, the Chiefs are facing 3rd and 16 from their 3. You (likely) get early stop *and* potentially swing field position.

I thought it was a smart decision, despite the result.

jcf, Blatz and pgabriel like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wasn't it the first half also? You can afford a timeout more than the second half.

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Ding Ding Ding! Keep the ball in Watson's hands and let him secure this win and good point about setting that up with the earlier 4th down play. I did not want to see a repeat of the NE and SEA game a couple of years ago. where B'OB gave the ball back to some pretty damn good QB and said hey, do what yall do and we'll try to stop you this time. I too hope it wasn't an indication of losing trust in Fairbarin to make that kick. I'm sure it factored in some ( I'm sure it was in everyone's mind, I know I was thinking it) but hope it was more about gaining even more trust in Watson being able to just win.

Hey Now! and Jake Tower like this.
  11. bobrek

Not at all...simply relaying information from what I read. The article implied that the officials reviewing the plays were being real sticklers. I can't criticize what I admittedly didn't see.

pgabriel likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Yep! My hope is that he would've made the same decision with in-his-prime Adam Venatieri on the sidelines because it's trusting your all-world QB to make winning plays. And yes, it's exactly how they lost both the NE and SEA games.

Blatz likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought the 4th and 3 playcall was literally perfect. Just a nice easy quick-hitting slant across the middle to get you just the yards you need and nothing more. Watson put it nice and low so only Hopkins could catch it and fall right to the ground. Game over.

There's almost no way that play could have failed. Literally the perfect playcall in that situation.

14. bobrek

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I assume all coaches rely on someone in the booth. Though they should be picking who

16. Mr. Clutch

Just sounds like they won't reverse judgment calls unless it's really really obvious. This just makes it even harder on coaches. How obvious does it have to be?

I almost think they shouldn't have changed it. The saints call was terrible but it was also a rare thing

17. Hey Now!

Really obvious and a legitimate game-altering call. I thought BO'B was 100% right to challenge the call; but obvious in hindsight they weren't going to reverse a call on the third play of the game.

18. Mr. Space City

Just an absolute disasterclass of a coaching performance.

19. Mr. Clutch

Terrible coach.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Crennel's defense gives up 28 pts. Not gonna win many games on the road like that.