1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am mostly comfortable with Greinke in GM 4 on Thursday if it comes to that. The problem is Tanaka will be ready to go in GM 4 which will give their bullpen some breathing room if we can't get to him early. I would assume GM 4 would play out similar to GM 1 unless we can start hitting Tanaka.

Not sure why Tanaka had our number so much but I really believe a rainout on Thursday helps the Yankees unless we can win GM's 3 and 4 somehow, then I like our chances of JV or Cole winning either GM 5 or GM 6 to close it out.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Would be pissed if not able to watch, but not annoyed cause Im able to watch the game. Truly dumbfounded as to why they would put the biggest market team at 3 though?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Everyone who has it as a workday, likely most of you, have my sympathy. Being retired has a few advantages, obviously, like today, but I’d trade them for being a decade or two younger. ;-)

Cole on the mound is no guarantee of a win, but he’s the nearest sure thing we’ve got. I’m optimistic and still on a buzz from Sunday night. My sister was visiting from League City and she had this goofy idea she heard of that you go outside, open your purse (her and my S.O.), or wallet (me!) on the night of October’s full moon, and turn in a full circle 3 times while saying, “Fill her up!” It’s supposed to give you good luck financially and good luck in general for the year.

So laughing and hoping the neighbors wouldn’t see us, we went out just before midnight (last night of the full moon) during a commercial and did it. Crazy, right? Walked back in our house, the commercial was just ending, and Boom! Correa’s first pitch walk off home run.

I’m a bit superstitious when it comes to sports, frequently doing what I can to promote good juju for the Rockets before a big game, especially during the playoffs, but not so much for the Astros over the years. The ending of Sunday night’s game did nothing to make me less superstitious. I’ll put it that way.

BonziWellsGOAT, arkoe, Kim and 5 others like this.
  4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yes and if game 4 is pushed back, will they change the start time for game 5 to a day game because they would play in Houston on Saturday?

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Have you ever thought the Astros would win a game? You're even negative on a Cole start. Astros would be 0-162 if your instincts were right.

Plowman, whiskeyred, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Each CS is scheduled an equal number of day games.

With the NLCS likely not going 7, this should be our only one.

eta:

That's a good thought. If there's an NLCS game 6 that may be what they'll do, if not then they won't put a game on during the day.

7. dannah

dannah Member

The Germans ? Seriously ?

8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Don't interrupt, he's on a roll.

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It's an Animal House reference

whiskeyred and Stros66 like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2005 story.

One of the most stunning, dramatic home runs in postseason history was hit by Albert Pujols in Game 5 of the 2005 National League Championship Series.

The Astros were one out away from going to the World Series for the first time. When closer Brad Lidge made his 0-1 pitch to Pujols, Minute Maid Park was louder than any ballpark I had ever been to other than the Metrodome. Then Pujols hit a ball so far out of the ballpark to left field, so far over the train tracks that Minute Maid went silent.

The look on the face of Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte was unmistakable as he mouthed the words, "Oh, my God."

Most teams might not have recovered from that, but those Astros weren't most teams. They were led by Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and Lance Berkman, and those guys were really good and really cool. So was pitcher Roy Oswalt, a slow-talker from Mississippi who never worried and would sit around in his underwear, feet up on a table, drinking coffee until 30 minutes before each start. "If I had his s---," Bagwell said, "I wouldn't worry either."

Oswalt would pitch Game 6 in St. Louis. The team charter took off 90 minutes after Pujols' homer. Maybe 30 minutes into the flight, Astros catcher Brad Ausmus got on the airplane's public address system, the one the flight attendant uses to tell the passengers to fold up their tray tables.

"If you look outside, left side of the airplane," Ausmus said, "you will see Albert Pujols' home run. It is still going. It appears to be orbiting the Earth."

Everyone howled, including Lidge.

Oswalt shut down the Cardinals in Game 6 to advance to the World Series.

--------------------------------------------------

LET'S GO !!

DD

Gray_Jay and whiskeyred like this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How many did Correa miss ?

Currently the Yankees are 4-0 this postseason with him and 0-fer without him.

Their wins leader, German, is also DNP.

Better to win in fewer so help curtail any excuses. Of course I'd gladly accept 7 games, just saying the fewer the better.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but that home run was costly in the World Series. We had to burn Oswalt in Game 6 which resulted in Clemens going in Game 1 in freezing cold Chicago. Didn't his back tighten up in that game? I doubt that happens with Roy on the mound.

Houstunna likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We got swept, that was more about a positive story and the guys believing....

None of what happened matters when you are swept.

DD

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Point being, just because Stanton is or may be out, doesn't mean the Astros "should" win. Every little bit helps, however.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I was wrong. It was a hammy, not his back. Clemens had to leave in the 2nd inning.

And yes, it was a sweep, but look at the scores of those games:

Game 1: 5-3
    Game 2: 7-6
    Game 3: 7-5(in 14 innings)
    Game 4: 1-0

4 games decided by a total of 6 runs. Don't tell me getting only 2 innings out of an aging Clemens instead of 5-7 innings out of Oswalt didn't derail that entire series for the Astros. Maybe they lose anyway, but no way in hell is it a sweep. That thing would've gone back to Chicago.

DavidRocket likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

The **** are we talking about 2005 for?

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

why would they not have the more popular teams/series as the late game?

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

With the Astros up 3 games to 1, Judge is going to hit a 500 foot walk off HR but it's ok because Verlander wins game 6 in dominating fashion.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Each CS is scheduled to have 2 early starts if they both go 7.

Commodore likes this.