1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Green becomes the odds on favorite to get a longer leash the next time he goes.

I doubt they use CC more than a hitter... and they've said as much. Would be highly in the Astros advantage if they do try to use him more.

Kahnle/Britton/Chapman are their elite trifecta... better than Pressly/Harris/Osuna. They used Kahnle quite a bit in 2017 and the Astros finally got to him in game 7.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Problem with this is Sanchez wasn't out because Chirinos missed ball. Does he get awarded first because ump caused play to be dead?

3. Nook

Nook Member

I agree.

The Yankees are also counting on their offense breaking through and putting up 7-8 runs so it doesn't matter if Happ or Sabathia are getting hit out of the bullpen.

4. raj87

raj87 Member

There was not a base open. I don’t think the batter can run to 1st in that situation.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He cant he was out and the ump knew it thus the makeup call on the outside pitch right away!

dD

jev5555 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ball didn't go that far away... and with Sanchez initially not running (perhaps knowing he can't run), I fully expected Chirinos to get ball and throw him out.

And there was a runner on first.

AznH-TownFan and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Will be interesting to see if the players begin to say something. Surprised they haven't already since a lot of people have looked foolish celebrating early.

banzai likes this.
  8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

That is just all kinds of awesome!

Nook and Uprising like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

I think the exception to the 1st base not being open rule is if there are two outs. Even though there was a runner on first, since it there was two out Chirinos would have had to throw over the 1st to complete the out.

K mf G and marks0223 like this.
  10. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Tip for Stros batters swing on the first pitch. Both Stros hrs were first pitch right down the middle. Be more aggressive.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Two outs. Base occupancy doesn't matter

12. bobrek

Two outs though. Runner on first doesn't matter

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’ve heard bat flip a few times and I don’t get it. Doesn’t he just throw it down?

Anyways the celebration was awesome and we should promote these things. The Bautista bat flip was phenomenal and crazy memorable. Baseball needs that.

lw17 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes, agreed... he still likely gets out the stagnant Sanchez who wasn't even attempting to run.

15. bobrek

Right. Sanchez would have been out by 30+ feet.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I believe Bautista was beaned a couple times in the following season. Retaliation couldn't happen same series because it ended the other team's season. Not sure if it would've happen anyway since it's the playoffs.
    The "best" outcome would be winning Cole's start and his dominating. Why? Because that's the one starter who'd also start in Houston. It detracts from the Yankees confidence knowing they'd lost previously and were dominated and adds extra confidence for the Astros. I say "best" because anything could happen.

#2596 Houstunna, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  17. HTM

HTM Member

Game 2 was already a bullpen game. The dam will break eventually boys.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Agreed. We have a great chance of winning Verlander / Cole pitched games. That just happens to see us winning the series 4-3. Tampa sucked the life out of us and Yankee Stadium scared them in 2017. I hope they can overcome that bugaboo. Win tomorrow and it is ours to lose at home. Obviously tomorrow is most likely our BEST chance to win out there. Not our only, but the one where we will be favored the most. Would be a hell of a time for Cole to throw his first no hitter ha.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I do vaguely remember Steinbrenner deciding he didn't want a roof. Guess that's a perk of not having to worry about getting rained on while at a game.

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yep, the balls were juiced during the regular season and are dying at the warning track.
    Right?! The man is finally getting into the swing. Of course he is gonna show some emotion. That’s part of the game...