1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

If the astros win any of the games in NY, I'd feel exactly the same regardless of which game it is heading back to Houston for the weekend.

BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Wondered if I was the only one that noticed. The ball is not carrying nearly as much as it did during the regular season. To me it’s really obvious. Am I crazy or is anyone else noticing?

crose, Rodman23, lw17 and 1 other person like this.
  3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

That would blow. Rain AFTER a Cole start fine. Before a Cole start making him only available on 3 days would really suck.

4. BonziWellsGOAT

yeah i think Correa's fly out to center was like 107 off the bat at like a 20 something degree launch angle. In the regular season that's a 430 ft bomb

banzai likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was just talking fan backlash. I’ve read a ton of fan backlash calling it classless, showboating, etc. on some Yahoo articles. Probably just a bunch of salty Yankee fans. I think an article was comparing it to the Bautista Toronto bat flip from a few years back as only second to that in grandiosity. And, remember the backlash over that? I haven’t seen any coach or player reaction to it.

lw17 likes this.
  6. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Just need to win 1 of the 3 in NY. Obviously Game 3 is our best chance with Cole

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You’re basically agreeing that yes, going to bullpens more frequently will lead to them wearing out.

Morrow was gassed... but other than putting in a starter on short rest, he wasn’t that much worse of an option.

With more bullpen usage, there will always be an increased risk of “bad coaching decision” or a pitcher just not having it. Within that game, other instances of guys getting pulled too soon. Within the last game, Boone taking out Green and next guy giving up a HR... was that bad coaching? Good hitting? Bad pitching?

yes, the Astros are a special team.

#2567 Nick, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didi and Severino did plenty of classless yelling/staring/gloating during their big moments in the last series.

It would be one thing if Correa started pointing at the pitcher, yelling in the direction of the dugout, or did the hand to ear gesture on the road... wanting to hear it from your home fans and showing emotion/celebrating is completely within the scope of what is allowed at this stage of the game.

lw17, banzai, BigM and 2 others like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nook likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With Severino only expected to go 3-4 innings tomorrow, what do you call Tuesday... a half bullpen day?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

we'll call it a L hopefully

everyday eddie, Nick_713 and BigM like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If game 4 is delayed they will likely need to get over 20 innings out of their pen in 4 days.

13. Nook

Nook Member

No joke.

Basically a bullpen day for game 3,4...... game game 7?

I'm really hoping that the rain effects game 4 because the Yankees will be working on fumes late in the series.

Chapman isn't going multiple innings and game after game if there isn't an off day because of rain. Chapman barked a lot about how the Cubs used him in the World Series.

Houstunna and kaleidosky like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Yup and some of those relievers are limited to an inning at a time.

They will have to lean on Happ and Sabathia for some innings..... they both had a FIP of around 5 this season.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Both New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field were initially planned with roofs, But it took years from initial layouts to actually building them, so the Mayor changed and didn't want to pay for the stadiums with public money, making both teams have to find "semi-private funds" to build them. Also, Steinbrenner changed his mind, deciding the roof would take away from the historical architecture and feel of the stadium.

arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Are you sure? I feel like I'm pretty on top of news and sentiment and haven't seen this. I feel like it would be a bigger story if true. (Also, doesn't add up to the eye test in terms of what actually happened vs. expectation for the moment/game.)

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Cubs in 2016 went to Chapman 3 times in 4 days in the World Series.

In game 5 he threw 2.2 innings of scoreless relief and was dominant. He had an off day the next day. In game 6 the Cubs went to him for 1.1 innings. He gave up a run. The next day the Cubs went to him again and he went 1.1 innings with 3 hits and was lucky to escape with only two runs.

After the series Chapman stated that he was over used (even with the off day), that he really only was comfortable going an inning and did not feel it was good for his future (risk of injury) to pitch three games in four days.

My point being that the Yankees are likely going to need a lot of innings from their bullpen, and Chapman isn't someone that they can count on getting 5-6 innings from the rest of the way..... if game 4 is rained out, then his availability is even more limited.

Green, Ottavino, Britton and Kahnle will likely be stretched beyond their comfort zone...... Ottavino, Britton and Kahnle all regularly pitch an inning or less. Green can go two innings.

Cessa is going to have to pitch multiple innings for the Yankees. Loasiga can go multiple as well but we got to see him up close. He has really good stuff but he struggles with command and walks a lot of guys. Both those guys have a FIP close to 5.

Everyone knows what Happ and Sabathia can and cannot do.

Forcing the Yankees to pull Severino early (even if we don't score much) will be huge.

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dont know that it's been mentioned before, but props to Hinch for leaving the dugout to tell the umpire he got that Sanchez foul tip call wrong. I believe that expanded strike zone was a make up call.

everyday eddie, pugsly8422 and Kim like this.
  19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Boone is going to pull Severino early regardless. He has openly shown his hand as to how he’s playing his pitching this series. It’s a question of when, not if the bullpen implodes (whether it’s this series or possibly the WS).

Nook and Nick like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If its that easy to influence an umpire... both ways... then that system is in need of a major overhaul.

Just allowing the foul tip/whiff play to be reviewable would fix everything. God knows they review minuscule technicality-type plays all the time as it is.