1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa and his back issues...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The ONLY way I would be ok with Correa being traded is a combination of what you are saying AND saving that money helps resign Cole. I would ONLY trade him in that situation, if we can’t sign Cole with moving that money helping, I see no possibility of us trading Correa and having a better chance of winning rings in 3 out of 4 seasons

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question is what do you do if you get the sense he is going to New York when his contract is up? When do you cut bait? If you wait until his last year, you risk getting a DeRozan-type haul from a Toronto-style team that wants a mercenary for one season. The front office has to know where the line is with Correa if you get the sense that he may leave for nothing.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I don’t see any reason Correa would be traded with one year left. His value would be low for a trade but the Astros would be looking to win a title.
    The only time it makes sense to trade him is either this offseason, or if something crazy happens and he’s good in 2021 but the Astros are inexplicably out of the playoff picture.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

Why didn't either of yall leave any meaningful content?

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I wore my Correa jersey to the game. On the walk back to the car I got jeered by a couple drunks. “Hey Correa, you suck. Why don’t you get your head out of your ass. Etc.
    The struggle is real.

Jake Tower likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Astros drunks?

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yessir

9. Buck Turgidson

Well, that's a shame.

Tfor3 likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

I went to Lucky's Pub with my Colt 45 Jersey. Exactly 2 people got it out of many more.

Pro-tip: My buddy had to go home to wife & kids so I had to uber home. After game? $40. Decided to hold off on surge pricing.

1 beer @4.50 - $28 lyft
    2 beers @ 4.50 - $17
    3 beers @ 4.50 - $22 (not sure why it went back up
    4 beers @ $0 because this crew & I hit it off - $12.

So I essentially got 4 free beers rather than taking the lyft during the surge aftermath.

11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I've had luck getting around the surge by walking a few blocks from the stadium. Only Rockets and Mavericks games, never done it during baseball games, though.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Tried that. Walked to my friend's car half a mile away. Still the same surge. Went back to where I started and went into Woodrows for roughly an hour. The trick is to punch the first person you see. That way, you show you are the dominant one & should get free beer until surge pricing has gone down.

hvanderm likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

whatever works I guess

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There, we see what you did, “on his back.”

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No; the irony of the pro-trade Correa crowd is that they're motivated to trade him over their frustration with his health* yet they all seem to think teams would line up for him once he's made available. You can't have it both ways. If the Astros trade Correa, they would never get appropriate value in return.

Having said that... like @sealclubber1016, I'm slowly warming to the idea under a few necessary conditions: 1) Anthony Rendon agrees to come home (preferrably on a homtown discount); 2) they can get fair-ish value in return for Correa which includes, at least in part, a gaggle of good+ arms to throw at their pitching staff (assuming Cole walks).

* and because they hate his fiancee

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just saw this post. First and second lines are completely contradicted by last line in this post. The pro-trade Correa crowd is concerned with getting Correa off the team. The hopes for "good return" and "financial benefit from the free agent market" are just covers. Teams aren't going to trade fair price for an injured player with short term control from a contender. In other words, pro-trade correa people are either delusional about returns or they just want Correa off the team guaranteeing he won't play for the Astros.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Read it again. It is all based on the premise that you can get a lot for him. Since that is likely not the case, there isn't a real reason to deal him at this point.

There is no value in trading him just to trade him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Absolutely correct. IF anyone is dead set on trading him, damn the return, they are an idiot. I can't imagine the FO doesn't explore this option (they were gauging Springer's value after 2016 and thinking about a deal with Cleveland for pitching- but I don't think it was serious, just run of the mill due diligence) over the offseason, but I'd be pretty surprised to see it happen.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Yup, exactly.