1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I thought it said Tuesday was sunny and Wednesday had a high chance of rain. Every report I've seen thus far indicates Tuesday should be fine.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

CinematicFusion likes this.
  4. CinematicFusion

That's good news. Gives Cole two starts on full rest if we get to game 7.

5. CinematicFusion

Great news. Our best chance to win this series is giving Cole the opportunity to pitch two games on full rest.
    I like our chances in game 3 to win.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As annoying as it is here to have a bunch of newbs trying to translate basketball logic to baseball... its almost more annoying to hear the amateur weather forecasts.

The good thing about tomorrow's game is that its slated to start early. They won't start it if they think it will rain early... they'll move it back and TBS will be pissed, but this is the business they chose.

And all stadiums really do need to get a roof. They're spending billions of dollars retrofitting old tennis stadiums for roofs now (including in NYC), and there's just too much disruption when a game gets rained out especially in the playoffs.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's already slated to make 2 starts on full rest, regardless of rain.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Sat in 235 last night... that sh*t was exhausting. Didn't get to sleep until 2 am. Glad they managed to pull it out. I like seeing Paxton a lot more than Tanaka... hopefully putting 9 innings on the pen starts to grind them down and our hitters get more comfortable seeing them.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Having games 4-7 all played back to back would very much work in our favor.

With Greinke and Verlander going 4-5, and Cole going 7 we aren't expecting our pen to throw 5 innings every day. As is our hitters are gonna get a lot of looks at their pen.

Nook, Tfor3 and Joe Joe like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree on the importance of aces. 2019 Rays are just the el cheapo version of the 2017 Dodgers, 2017 Yankees, and 2019 Yankees. Losing to the 2017 Astros shouldn't be viewed as something not working. Losing to the 2019 Astros shouldn't be viewed as something not working.

Nook and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

Game 2 was a perfect example of how the hokey over-reliance on bullpen arms the Rays and now the Yankees are doing can sometimes backfire. You just can't replace a 7 inning horse like JV with 2 or 3 bullpen studs. By the time this game went to extras they burned up all their good arms with all their lefty-right matchup changes, but JV going deep into the game allowed our bullpen depth to outlast theirs. Osuna, Smith, Harris and James were magnificent.

12. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You must absolutely hate hurricane season here.

Agree with you on the roof issue.

Nick likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

No, it's not cheating. There's no honor system and players are under no obligation to tell the umps what actually happened.

"yes sir, he tagged me, don't bother with the review"

"I didn't check my swing, I'll just go sit down now, no need to ask another ump"

"he beat that throw to first, I felt him hit the bag before the ball got to me"

etc....

arkoe and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  14. Major

Major Member

Right - I'm just saying that you never know who's going to be the person to hit in the next game. Moving people around based on a one-game sample size for Correa just seems inefficient. Gurriel & Yordan both batted 0.300+ vs Tampa in the last series. Yordan had 3 doubles as well. It just all gets quickly forgotten in the playoffs after 1 or 2 bad games.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's something that doesn't work... and there's something that isn't sustainable. Could be mutually exclusive.

The Rays really only had Morton as an option of going into the 6th inning for any given game. Snell/Glasnow were on a pretty strict pitch/inning limit. Over a 7 game series, with more consecutive games in the middle stretch, there's a much higher chance of arms getting overused.... as we saw in 2017 where every bullpen failed at some point.

The Dodgers having to throw Morrow 3 consecutive games single-handedly gave the Astros a chance to win game 5. Likewise, the Astros tried to give it back and had to adjust on the fly and use starters in relief.... which was more sustainable mainly because those arms (Morton, Peacock, LMc) weren't all that limited and they did have Verlander/Keuchel going deeper into some of the initial games.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Everyone keeps worrying about rainouts. The wind for game 4 and 5 at Yankee Stadium could be the biggest factor. Projected in 13+ mph to Center/Left-Center.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I stay away from those threads on purpose... but do take a glance every now and then and get all the cringes when people become experts in the "models", "projections", and start telling people exactly what's going to happen (with no certainty).

When it starts intersecting with my regular reading, its bothersome.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hola

Will say I'm less confident than entering the series though. Offensive woes continue plus we got whopped in one of the games.

Astros in 7 instead of 6

Kendrick Lamar and Gray_Jay like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Compensates for @Joe Joe 's dead balls.

raining threes likes this.
  20. CinematicFusion

Tipping pitches is in the Yankees head. USA today has an article on it. Reminds me of 86 Mike Scott in the heads of the Mets.
    On that note....Cole kind of reminds me of Mike Scott from 86.

Game three is huge for us. Need to get that W.